Rivers-Marie ‘19 Pinot Release

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
James Mc

Rivers-Marie ‘19 Pinot Release

#1 Post by James Mc »

Just got the email save the date. Who is excited? Havent touched my ‘18s, but looking forward to these. Has anyone sampled any of the ‘19s yet?
McCormick Seasonings

Rodrigo F.

Re: Rivers-Marie ‘19 Pinot Release

#2 Post by Rodrigo F. »

I actually opened a '17 Summa a few weeks ago, and after a 30min decant it was delicious, full nose, very floral. Can't wait to get a few more
RFlores

J. Rock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by J. Rock »

The only RM Pinot I've had is the 2008 Occidental Ridge (had it last year) and LOVED it. Which Pinots does everyone prefer? Also, how is the appellation bottling? I've yet to really like a Pinot priced as low as $30, but with TRB making it, I'm very tempted at that price.
J o r d a n

WOTY 2020: 1982 Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest Rutherford Gold

Matt A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Matt A »

Buy with confidence.
2019 Sonoma coast Pinot @ $30 is a an absolute steal. I wish could get more than 3.

Summa and Occidental are my personal favorites.
(I have not tried my old vine summa or Platt yet)
Great wine, amazing value.

Prices appear to be the same as the 18’s.
-Ablard

Bill Sweeney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Bill Sweeney »

J. Rock wrote: January 12th, 2021, 11:31 am The only RM Pinot I've had is the 2008 Occidental Ridge (had it last year) and LOVED it. Which Pinots does everyone prefer? Also, how is the appellation bottling? I've yet to really like a Pinot priced as low as $30, but with TRB making it, I'm very tempted at that price.
The appellation bottling is sensational. An amazing bargain. Buy!

Vince L.

#6 Post by Vince L. »

I've had only the 18 SC/Summa/Eagle and really enjoy the Summa & SC @ $30. Will be buying a couple of those.

Hopefully specs / tn comes out beforehand :)
l 3 r t

David Rudd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by David Rudd »

I opened a 2016 Summa last night to see if there was anything that would lead me consider restraint when ordering on the 19th. Restraint is definitely not in order.

jond
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by jond »

No allocation, but I just signed up in 2020. Any idea if this is like a year+ wait thing, or they just give access to older members a few days early?

Summa and Occidental are both great. I thought the 2018 Summa was a real standout.
@ h 1

Geoff Weathersby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Geoff Weathersby »

jond wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:21 pm No allocation, but I just signed up in 2020. Any idea if this is like a year+ wait thing, or they just give access to older members a few days early?

Summa and Occidental are both great. I thought the 2018 Summa was a real standout.
For reference I signed up in April/may time frame of this year and was included in the fall Cab release and next weeks Pinot release.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Brian Tuite »

James Mc wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:41 am Just got the email save the date. Who is excited? Havent touched my ‘18s, but looking forward to these. Has anyone sampled any of the ‘19s yet?

I tasted them last year out of tank with Anne. Chicken scratch notes.

Bearwallow - sharp, acidic, needs a little air.
Silver Eagle - structured wound up
Occidental Ridge - savory orange peel explosive fruit.
Summa - polished pine needles orange zest
Summa Old Vine - World class nose, (l loved Anne’s line that she wishes she could put that in a tea bag and hang it around her neck all day and just smell it) it’s just that good, elegant, plush strawberry, dried orange peel, pine needle, stroking my wine ego.
Platt - Summa on steroids, same mouthfeel with black cherry fruit and seamless transition from front to finish. 70 cases
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

AndrewH

#11 Post by AndrewH »

Geoff Weathersby wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:33 pm
jond wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:21 pm No allocation, but I just signed up in 2020. Any idea if this is like a year+ wait thing, or they just give access to older members a few days early?

For reference I signed up in April/may time frame of this year and was included in the fall Cab release and next weeks Pinot release.
+1. And while my allocation I'm sure pales compares to others it's generous enough that I doubt I'll buy it all (and I didn't for the cabs).
Andrew H e i m e r t

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Alan Newman »

I thought everyone on the list received the same Pinot Allocation.

Russell Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Russell Porter »

Will Segui has a real gift, and his wines are just magic in how he can get the best out of the vineyards and the fruit. I look forward to these Pinots and feel fortunate to be on the list. Thanks for the TNs above.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Eric White »

I've been buying these wines since the 2002 release (pretty sure I still have one '02 in offsite). I think I skipped maybe one vintage when I was traveling, otherwise I've purchased every year. I'm doing an inventory soon, but I'm guessing it's a sure bet I have more R-M Pinot than any other producer at this point. These wines never disappoint. Ever.

Aleks V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Aleks V »

If you don’t get an offering I’d just email Will. I don’t think there is really any wait list.
Oy-V3y

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Cris Whetstone »

Russell Porter wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:22 pm Will Segui has a real gift, and his wines are just magic in how he can get the best out of the vineyards and the fruit. I look forward to these Pinots and feel fortunate to be on the list. Thanks for the TNs above.
Will Segui is no TRB. At least not yet. neener
Will handles logistics for Rivers Marie. He is not the winemaker. That is Thomas Rivers Brown. Will does have his own label, William and Mary.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Cris Whetstone »

Aleks V wrote: January 12th, 2021, 5:01 pm

If you don’t get an offering I’d just email Will. I don’t think there is really any wait list.
This was true as of a year or two ago. I think that might have changed with all the hubbub around the AG 100pts for the '18 Platt. Not certain.

I'll pile on that the RM Sonoma Coast bottling is very very easily one of the very best values out of California. And the Summa Old Vines is one of the very best Pinots. The regular Summa is starting to come into it's own and the Platt is much hyped now.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by JonathanG »

I signed up last year after the 2018 version of this thread was posted and got a full allocation on release day.
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

For me, this is a no brainer perennial purchase. The wines are tasty and age well. I just opened a 2010 Summa Old Vines last weekend and it was fantastic! And the Sonoma Coast is the best value I've ever found in California pinot noir.

William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by William Segui »

There is a small waitlist this year due to the shorter yields in 2019. There are a few wines in short supply (looking at you Summa Old, Platt) and we feel it important to give the folks that have been with us for awhile the first shot. I am anticipating a second wave offer a week or so after (26th give or take) but that will depend on how things go.

Everyone on the active list will receive the same offer. 4 btl minimum order, $4/btl in CA - $5/btl out of state shipping.

For those of you that subscribe to Vinous, Antonio has tasted the wines and let it be known that he is expecting to publish his scores tomorrow (along with Occidental, Kutch, etc).

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#21 Post by Jeff_M. »

William Segui wrote: January 13th, 2021, 1:36 pm There is a small waitlist this year due to the shorter yields in 2019. There are a few wines in short supply (looking at you Summa Old, Platt) and we feel it important to give the folks that have been with us for awhile the first shot. I am anticipating a second wave offer a week or so after (26th give or take) but that will depend on how things go.

Everyone on the active list will receive the same offer. 4 btl minimum order, $4/btl in CA - $5/btl out of state shipping.

For those of you that subscribe to Vinous, Antonio has tasted the wines and let it be known that he is expecting to publish his scores tomorrow (along with Occidental, Kutch, etc).
Thanks Will. Looking forward to placing my order next week.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by brigcampbell »

Cris Whetstone wrote: January 12th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Aleks V wrote: January 12th, 2021, 5:01 pm

This was true as of a year or two ago. I think that might have changed with all the hubbub around the AG 100pts for the '18 Platt. Not certain.

I'll pile on that the RM Sonoma Coast bottling is very very easily one of the very best values out of California. And the Summa Old Vines is one of the very best Pinots. The regular Summa is starting to come into it's own and the Platt is much hyped now.
FMIII and I blind tasted '18 RM Platt and OV Summa PN together. We both preferred the OVS but both are very good.

The Platt is a VERY dark pinot, it looked a typical SRH type PN in concentration.

The 2018 OVSumma is not like the previous vintages, stylistically, at this age. It has much more old world charm than any other OVS I've ever tasted. It wasn't murky and loaded with strawberry, sandalwood, and no orange notes I could find. It's a special wine.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Brian Tuite »

brigcampbell wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:47 pm

The 2018 OVSumma is not like the previous vintages, stylistically, at this age. It has much more old world charm than any other OVS I've ever tasted. It wasn't murky and loaded with strawberry, sandalwood, and no orange notes I could find. It's a special wine.
That’s odd. Strawberry and orange peel were prominent parts of the wine when I tasted it.

Edit: Maybe that’s because I tasted the ‘19. newhere

Popped an ‘18 regular Summa tonight. We’ll see.
41E98C32-0073-417D-91F0-AFCFF19BDAC7.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Vince L.

#24 Post by Vince L. »

Will there be a wish list function for non-platt?

Say you're only offered 4 Summa but want 5?
l 3 r t

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#25 Post by c fu »

I am actively hiding away my RM pinots so I don’t touch them. They are so damn good with a decade on em
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Gary Ahearn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Gary Ahearn »

Jeff_M. wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:28 pm
William Segui wrote: January 13th, 2021, 1:36 pm There is a small waitlist this year due to the shorter yields in 2019. There are a few wines in short supply (looking at you Summa Old, Platt) and we feel it important to give the folks that have been with us for awhile the first shot. I am anticipating a second wave offer a week or so after (26th give or take) but that will depend on how things go.

Thanks Will. Looking forward to placing my order next week.
Any one have the Occidental/RM scores??

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by R. Frankel »

c fu wrote: January 13th, 2021, 9:32 pm I am actively hiding away my RM pinots so I don’t touch them. They are so damn good with a decade on em
Also so damn good right off the UPS truck. A real dilemma.
Rich Frankel

crickey

#28 Post by crickey »

Gary Ahearn wrote: January 14th, 2021, 1:10 pm
Occidental were in the stratosphere: 96-100. Rivers Marie were a little lower, but still good: 92 (for the appellation bottlings) to 96+.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by mike pobega »

I had the 2018 RM SC right off the truck (literally) and had to secure more right away. Within a few weeks I had rounded up 12 more. Not easy.

AndrewH

#30 Post by AndrewH »

mike pobega wrote: January 14th, 2021, 2:16 pm I had the 2018 RM SC right off the truck (literally) and had to secure more right away. Within a few weeks I had rounded up 12 more. Not easy.
This statement is for the new members of the board, yes?
Andrew H e i m e r t

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by mike pobega »

Not exactly understanding the question, but my statements are usually for everyone! (per tutti!).
'right off the truck (figuratively)' helps no one, especially the author.
Cheers

Rodrigo F.

#32 Post by Rodrigo F. »

If I only have room to buy half a case, which 6 bottles should I take?
RFlores

AndrewH

#33 Post by AndrewH »

mike pobega wrote: January 15th, 2021, 8:15 am Not exactly understanding the question, but my statements are usually for everyone! (per tutti!).
'right off the truck (figuratively)' helps no one, especially the author.
Cheers
Sorry to be obscure - your reputation I had thought was often to drink right off the truck . . . hence the verbing of your name.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Len Stevens »

As always, I'll take my full allotment (18 bottles plus Platt wish list request) abd will post a request on Commerce Corner for more Platt, OV Summa, and SC!

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by mike pobega »

Cool. Understood. I guess I was attempting to be emphatic about how great the 2018 SC actually is. Most of the reason I have the reputation is I could never understand storing untasted wine that turned out to be just ho-hum about a few years down the road so I always give up a bottle to science unless it's really rare. Wines like the Rivers-Marie Sonoma Coast are (were) the perfect wine to do such. Years ago I knew (imagined) Will was just expecting my email 45 minutes after delivery asking for more. Keep in mind I believe you then had 12 offered. Now with 3, it would not make as much sense but knowing how RM likes put put a certain percentage, albeit small, into retailers hands and it is attainable for the persistent, like me. I was lucky to only have to pay $5 more at retail last year. There was actually Platt available as well.
Cheers!

cjsavino
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#36 Post by cjsavino »

Rodrigo F. wrote: January 15th, 2021, 8:33 am If I only have room to buy half a case, which 6 bottles should I take?
Yes
Chris

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by B. Buzzini »

Rodrigo F. wrote: January 15th, 2021, 8:33 am If I only have room to buy half a case, which 6 bottles should I take?
It's too hard not to buy all 3 SC offered at the price...so if it was me...those 3, plus a bottle each of the Occidental, Summa, and Summa OV.

[cheers.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by JeremyMullman »

B. Buzzini wrote: January 15th, 2021, 10:00 am
It's too hard not to buy all 3 SC offered at the price...so if it was me...those 3, plus a bottle each of the Occidental, Summa, and Summa OV.

[cheers.gif]
I think this right. The SCs and Summas are the right starting points.

Rodrigo F.

#39 Post by Rodrigo F. »

I keep going back and forth, and I want to buy more PN, I find it that sometimes I don't have the right wine to pair a meal (I'm trying to drink wine with food more and more) and I have too much Napa Cab, Bordeaux and Italian (Super Tuscan IGT, BdM, some Barolo/Barbaresco) but I haven't been opening PN. I did have a RM Summa '17 paired with Pekin Duck and oh my! what a wine. My fiance even said this was one of her favorite wines I've opened.... So I guess what I'm saying is that I should just pull the trigger on a case and call it the day? I also recently had a an '18 Aubert UV-SL PN and that was also an experience (double decanted for 5hrs) for Thanksgiving... RM, Aubert, are there any other PN I should also try and get?
RMPN.PNG
RFlores

R@f@el A.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#40 Post by R@f@el A. »

Rodrigo F. wrote: January 15th, 2021, 11:35 am I keep going back and forth, and I want to buy more PN, I find it that sometimes I don't have the right wine to pair a meal (I'm trying to drink wine with food more and more) and I have too much Napa Cab, Bordeaux and Italian (Super Tuscan IGT, BdM, some Barolo/Barbaresco) but I haven't been opening PN. I did have a RM Summa '17 paired with Pekin Duck and oh my! what a wine. My fiance even said this was one of her favorite wines I've opened.... So I guess what I'm saying is that I should just pull the trigger on a case and call it the day? I also recently had a an '18 Aubert UV-SL PN and that was also an experience (double decanted for 5hrs) for Thanksgiving... RM, Aubert, are there any other PN I should also try and get?RMPN.PNG
Rodrigo, I am a big fan of PN from Peter Michael. All three of their PN bottlings are excellent in my opinion. Cheers!
@guil@r

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by mike pobega »

Clarice
Sandler
Loring
Beau Marchais

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by JeremyMullman »

Rodrigo F. wrote: January 15th, 2021, 11:35 am I keep going back and forth, and I want to buy more PN, I find it that sometimes I don't have the right wine to pair a meal (I'm trying to drink wine with food more and more) and I have too much Napa Cab, Bordeaux and Italian (Super Tuscan IGT, BdM, some Barolo/Barbaresco) but I haven't been opening PN. I did have a RM Summa '17 paired with Pekin Duck and oh my! what a wine. My fiance even said this was one of her favorite wines I've opened.... So I guess what I'm saying is that I should just pull the trigger on a case and call it the day? I also recently had a an '18 Aubert UV-SL PN and that was also an experience (double decanted for 5hrs) for Thanksgiving... RM, Aubert, are there any other PN I should also try and get?RMPN.PNG
Sojourn is definitely worth checking out. They typically have a great Berserker Day offer, too.

T.L. Reasoner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by T.L. Reasoner »

Rivers Marie is AWESOME been on the list for a while! You cannot go wrong with anything they have pinot cab or chard! any scores from AG?
Aloha,

Tracy

David Rudd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by David Rudd »

AG scores range from 92 for the PN Sonoma to 96 for Platt and Summa OV but I don't find the scores that important for RM wines. They are constantly excellent and have a recognizable style that still maintains individual vineyard integrity. You really can't go wrong.

T.L. Reasoner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by T.L. Reasoner »

David Rudd wrote: January 15th, 2021, 5:16 pm AG scores range from 92 for the PN Sonoma to 96 for Platt and Summa OV but I don't find the scores that important for RM wines. They are constantly excellent and have a recognizable style that still maintains individual vineyard integrity. You really can't go wrong.
allow me to rephrase I meant tasting notes...
Aloha,

Tracy

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#46 Post by JonathanG »

Just tried a 2018 Summa alongside 7 other wines and it was the top.choice. convinced me to go all in in Tuesday
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by F.Daner »

Pinot is our go to wine and we drink it with a wide variety of food. I would look to add Littorai, Failla( they crushed it in 18. They have their Sonoma Coast and some 17's still on the website) and Soliste. These are all wonderful wines with or without food and really age terrifically or decant them to drink young. RM pinot and chard should be an automatic as well.

I'd also add some Oregon into the mix but that's a whole other thread. Kelly Fox, Arterberry, Belle Pente, Goodfellow.

Cheers
Fred

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by F.Daner »

Keep in mind the Occidental wines reviewed were for the 18's and the RM are 19. Good news is it's both their current release. Littorai is in the que as well.
crickey wrote: January 14th, 2021, 2:15 pm
Gary Ahearn wrote: January 14th, 2021, 1:10 pm
Occidental were in the stratosphere: 96-100. Rivers Marie were a little lower, but still good: 92 (for the appellation bottlings) to 96+.
Fred

Matt A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Matt A »

JeremyMullman wrote: January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm
Sojourn is definitely worth checking out. They typically have a great Berserker Day offer, too.
+1 on Sojourn. Just ordered my spring shipment.
Love their Pinot’s.

Merry Edwards is another solid choice in this price range as well.

Other California Pinot’s that I buy.....If you want to spend a little more:
Williams Selyem
Wayfarer
Maxem
Chappellet(Grower Collection) and Joseph Phelps make really nice Pinots too.

I always looks forward to this Rivers Marie offer. Consistent quality at a fair price.
-Ablard

R. Serafin

#50 Post by R. Serafin »

I bought the Cabs in the Fall for the first time, and I wasn't planning to give the Pinots a look. But now the praise here is so high, FOMO is building...I curse all of you! [thankyou.gif]
R o b

Return to “Wine Talk”