Value Italian

Italy is the one region I most lack knowledge of. What are your top value / high qpr producers/wines that you would recommend.

Antonio Vallana. Everything they make is excellent QPR. If you like nebbiolo, there’s no better red QPR anywhere. Or at least not that I have encountered.

Edited to add - I suggest scanning all the many QPR threads lately. A number of them discuss Italy’s various regions extensively.

3 Likes

A widely distributed, good quality wine for about $15 is Antinori Toscana.

3 Likes

Anything, white or red, from Tiberio.

5 Likes

Rosso di Montalcino from top producers.

1 Like

Completely agree. I think the Pian dell’Orino rosso is top notch.

I would also say Chianti Classico from top producers as well. Fontodi, Castello dei Rampolla, and San Giusto come to mind. While they can be pricer than other Chianti’s, I think their quality exceeds price.

1 Like

Especially the Montepulciano d’Abruzzo and the Trebbiano d’Abruzzo, of which there are a couple of different cuvĂ©es of each.

1 Like

I’ve found a local deal of 2016 Antinori, 2017 Tenuta San Guido La Difese and 2017 Torres Coronas Crianza for 30€.

2 Likes

Max created this google xls. It lists some Italian choices.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ugar9LcQUD3JAalj2P02mh8wB9CM6x2F/view

8 Likes

Less pricey but still wonderful options are Felsina, Volpaia, Badia a Coltibuono, and Monsanto. There are others. So much good $20-$25 CC.

This is dope

Terre nere

5 Likes

Anything from Puglia. Which is mainly Negroamaro and Primitivo. This one below is one of my favs
Cosimo Taurino Salice Salentino Riserva

For me, Brunellos, Barolos & Barbarescos are almost always good, so when you find the bottles that are sub $40 they are often worth a go. These below are mostly sub $40 but some just over.
Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino
Cortonesi Brunello di Montalcino La Mannella
Poggio Lucina Brunello di Montalcino
Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
Fontanabianca Barbaresco
Fontanafredda Barolo Serralunga
G.D. Vajra Barolo Albe
Oddero Barolo

These are some other bargains imo
Felsina Chianti Classico Riserva Berardenga
Brancaia Tre
Rocca di Frassinello Maremma Toscana Le Sughere di Frassinello
Tenuta di Nozzole Chianti Classico Riserva Nozzole
Tenuta San Guido Le Difese

I might get some crap for this one, but I also actually enjoy Bolla Valpolicella with Pizza. Doesn’t get cheaper than that.

1 Like

My first recommendation would be anything Felsina, to see if you like the house style. I love it.

At a much lower price point, Monte Antico used to over deliver for the price. I’m not sure if that is still true.

1 Like

Barberas! As they say in Piedmont: nebbiolo is what they sell, barbera is what they drink

1 Like

The beauty of Italy, particularly when I look back on why I was drawn to it when I started my wine journey, is that there’s value to be had up and down the peninsula. And because of this there is value across taste preferences, characteristic profiles, grape varietals, etc. One could make a similar argument for other countries, regions however none seem to stick out to the degree of Italy. ‘Value’ is also subjective - beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I don’t equate it to low cost for good wine. I appreciate that there are some expensive wines out there that are still good value. Again, up and down the price spectrum Italy truly stands out to me and my tastebuds. It can be daunting to get involved in Italian wine - pick a variety of some of the suggestions shared by folks and start there. Enjoy!!

3 Likes

Unlike the two of you, I’m not a fan of most Rosso di Montalcino, even from producers whose brunello I really like. I would almost always prefer a well-made chianti classico at the same price point, including from the producers you mention. YMMV.
Peter

2 Likes

I was going to say the same thing. Love the San Clemente from Zaccagnini. Also, if you can get peccorino from anyone is Abruzzo, you’ll wonder how you’ve not had this in your life before. one visit to Pescara and we’ve been hooked.

Because there is no country with as many grape varieties made into wine, one approach is to pick the cuisine or food product of a particular region in Italy, then match it with a wine from the area.

One of the difficult things about a post like this is what does the OP consider “value”? In my mind a value wine is something under $20-25, so there are no “value” Barolos or Brunellos in my mind. But if their idea of value is under $100, that’s a different story.

If you are willing to explore other areas of Italy, there are so many value whites, roses, and reds that you’d be shopping for years. Here’s a listing of under $25 Italian wines that I’ve purchased in the past year or two from my CT that I still own (there would be a lot more that have been consumed):

2017 Abbazia di Novacella (Stiftskellerei Neustift) Sylvaner Praepositus Valle Isarco / Eisacktaler
NV Agricola Villa Picta di Paolo Pasini Lambrusco Mantovano
2014 Bergianti Bergianti Rosso Metodo Classico Vino da Tavola Lambrusco
2011 Castello di Bossi Chianti Classico Chianti Classico DOCG Sangiovese Blend, Sangiovese
2018 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Dolcetto d’Alba
2018 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Verduno Pelaverga
2019 CĂ  La Bionda Valpolicella Classico Corvina Blend, Corvina
2015 Colombera & Garella Coste della Sesia Cascina Cottignano Nebbiolo Blend, Nebbiolo
2016 Fattoria dei Pagliaresi Chianti Classico Chianti Classico DOCG Sangiovese Blend, Sangiovese
2019 Dianetti Pecorino Offida
2019 Eisacktaler Kellerei / Cantina Valle Isarco GrĂŒner Veltliner Valle Isarco / Eisacktaler
2019 Eisacktaler Kellerei / Cantina Valle Isarco Kerner Alto Adige - SĂŒdtirol
2018 Francesco Brigatti Uva Rara Colline Novaresi
2019 Fratelli Alessandria Verduno Pelaverga Speziale
2018 Girlan Pinot Bianco Plattenriegl Alto Adige - SĂŒdtirol
2018 Graci Etna Bianco Etna DOC White Blend
2019 Grosjean PrĂ«metta Valle d’Aosta
2018 Köfererhof Kerner Valle Isarco / Eisacktaler
2017 Livio Felluga Colli Orientali del Friuli Friulano
2019 Nervi-Conterno Il Rosato Piemonte DOC Nebbiolo
2019 Nicola del Negro Muscat Chambave
2019 Nicola del Negro Petit Rouge Chambave
2014 Castello della Paneretta Chianti Classico Riserva Chianti Classico DOCG Sangiovese Blend, Sangiovese
2018 Le Piane Maggiorina Vino da Tavola Nebbiolo Blend, Nebbiolo
2019 ProprietĂ  Sperino Lessona Rosa del Rosa Nebbiolo Blend, Nebbiolo
2017 Rizzi Langhe Nebbiolo Langhe DOC
2015 Ronchi di Cialla Ribolla Nera Colli Orientali del Friuli
NV Rosa Luna Lambrusco La Collina Rosato Emilia IGT
2016 Agricola San Felice Chianti Classico Riserva Il Grigio Chianti Classico DOCG Sangiovese Blend, Sangiovese
2018 Fattoria Selvapiana Chianti RĂčfina Sangiovese Blend, Sangiovese
2017 Tiare Collio Sauvignon
2015 Azienda Agricola Trinchero Barbera d’Asti Superiore Terra del Noce
2016 Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco Langhe DOC
2018 Vigneti Massa Barbera Colli Tortonesi Sentieri
2018 Vinnamoro Iacopo Paolucci Grechetto Todi Grechetto di Todi Iacopone

3 Likes