Value Italian

Morisfarms - Morellino di Scansano (sangiovese) - Wonderful, flavorful, fruity wine that’s on the lighter side, but has real depth. Gulpable. Can be had for less than $15.

Felsina - Berardenga - Chianti Classico - Remarkably serious wine – concentrated, earthy, somewhat tannic young, intriguing – for $20-$25.

Dolcetto can be a great bargain. Dogliani (100% dolcetto from an area a little south of Barolo, formerly called Dolcetto di Dognliani) tends to be riper and fuller-bodied if that’s your leaning. But there are lots of good Dolcetto d’Albas. Cavallotto’s Vigna Scot has long been a favorite of mine. But most good Barolo makers also produce good dolcetto.

Cantalupo ‘Agamium’ - Colinne Novarese (100% nebbiolo from Northern Piedmont, west of Milan). This has genuine nebbiolo aromas, with somewhat softer tannins than Barolo, Barbaresco and Nebbiolo d’Alba. Again, there’s just a lot to find interesting here, and it is often available for well under $20.

Produttori di Barbaresco - Langhe Nebbiolo From the great coop winery in Barbaresco. Again, great value for $20. Remarkably interesting for the price.

2 Likes

Just a quick note-

On a whim I picked up a 2015 Fontanafredda Barolo. Now, I know that they often have the reputation of too big, industrial, nameless washed-out plonk. Well, for €15,90 it really scratched my nebbiolo itch! Quite a nice surprise, and a delicious, pure Barolo that tasted as such. When the sale came back I got some more, and yesterday some 16s, too.

4 Likes

Have the Italians captured Catalonia? [wink.gif]

1 Like

Wowser of a response by Marshall! [worship.gif]

Back to Abruzzo that’s been mentioned before. Masciarelli makes an almost “benchmark” for the basic Montepulciano d’Abruzzo and Trebbiano d’Abruzzon, both about $10. Very decent “house” wines. Giovanni Masciarelli also made the ballsy move of striving to make a more serious “riserva” type version of each of these that he named after his wife Marina Cvetic. I highly recommend the Marina Cvetic Montepulciano d’Abruzzo which goes for about $25 and is a value I think.

At one point the Crown of Aragon did control parts of Italy! [wink.gif]

I kid. This is marketed as an ‘international package’ deal, but I thought it seemed like a really good price.

2 Likes

I agree…the Fontanafredda Serralunga Barolo, typically available in the U.S. for $29-$33, and sometimes available in 1L format, is pretty darn good for the price, and relatively consistent across vintages. I don’t understand the bad reputation of the producer, unless either (i) they have changed their style in the last 5-6 years for the better, but their reputation hasn’t caught up, or (ii) it’s due to the fact that they are a large producer and maybe don’t make “exceptional” wine at the high end…

Agree it’s solid quality, though very “unexciting”. BTW, Costco has had it for $12.99 for the last year or two, which is the lowest price I’ve ever seen it for. Usually I would say $15 is “optimistic” as I usually see it in our market for $16.99-$20.99. However, it is as solid value if you want a pleasant, drinkable food wine. I also like the Sella & Mosca Riserva Cannanou from Sardegna for about $17, and find it more interesting, though at the cost of requiring tolerance for a little brett.

Also, it would help if the OPer would specify what he intends by “value wine” and “high qpr”. Is he looking for $10-$18 wines? Or would a $50 Aglianico or Barbaresco representing good value as compared to TOP wines from those regions costing much more qualify as a value wine? Whichever the answer is, there are some good answers above, but it would help narrow the field a bit to know what he was really wanting. For example, in the “under $20” category the $15 Antinori wine might fit the bill…For me, there are plenty of “enjoyable drinking wines” available under $20, but not a lot of “interesting” Italian wines under $20. For example, the $17 Sella & Mosca has a little character, at least, but for $35 the Calabretta Nerello Mascalese V.V. is fantastic (and I would call it great value relative to other Sicilian Nerello Mascalese wines, even though many don’t consider any $35 wine to be a QPR/Value wine).

2 Likes

Was hoping to see a recommendation for a baby sassicaia…

Much has been said above, and I am by no means an Italian wine expert, but will share a few favorites below:

Terre Nere - basic Etna Rosso is such a nice, easy drinking wine, that goes with tons of food. Can be found relatively easily for as little as $18/ bottle and is quite a steal. If I had one $20/ bottle wine to have in my cellar it would quite possibly be this one.

Produttori Langhe - great bottle around $20-25, relatively simple nebbiolo that still has some complexity. Also easy to find and very food friendly.

Vietti Perbacco - another langhe Nebbiolo that’s a great drinker. Relatively easy to find and around $25. This has a nice level of complexity for well above it’s price point and ages really well (just had a 2008 that was killer)

Alessandria - this producer has several well priced bottlings, though aren’t always easy to find. I particularly like the Langhe Nebbiolo (Priscio) at around $25 and the Pelaverga around $25. The Pelaverga seems particularly hard to find unfortunately.

Guidalberto

3 Likes

It’s a big country. There is a lot to explore.

Try a Rosso Piceno from Marche, Sangiovese di Romagna, Aglianico from Campania, Primitivo or Negroamaro from Puglia.

From what I’ve tasted and understood, they have. The wines from the 00’s were quite modern and oaky, but those from the 10’s that I’ve tasted have been more serious and classic in style. It feels, to me, that they’ve dialed down on new oak use / barriques / both.

At $16 that’s a downright steal.

1 Like

I bought a dozen 1L 2013 at $32.99 on WTSO last year actually. Really hard to beat those prices for a Barolo. I tried both the 2013 and the 2014 around that same time, and I was happy with both.

Fair, “value” is subjective. I am just interested in exploring new wines that people think are stand out relative to their price point and won’t get me into too much trouble when my wife sees the credit card bill. Italy is probably the top region that I would like to learn more about.

1 Like

I agree with Peter. If you aren’t going for the Brunello, skip the Rosso and go for the Chianti. My personal favorite Brunello is MastroJanni.

1 Like

It’s been my understanding that a lot of the fruit that goes into the Rosso is declassified Brunello.

1 Like

Last night we drank a Super Tuscan: 2014 Tolaini Valdisanti. Wifey couldn’t believe I paid only $23 for it a few years ago. I have had multiple vintages of this over the years and it is always solid. Great QPR here for a daily drinker.

In poor vintages, yes, this can happen to quite some extent. However, a poor vintage RdM rarely is particularly interesting.

1 Like

I loved the 2009 upon release but was underwhelmed by the 2010. I think I have a bottle of each left. I’ll have to revisit.

1 Like

Le Trame at <$50 offers wonderful value if you’re looking for a particularly elegant expression of sangiovese

1 Like

I agree on the Chianti versus Rosso discussion, but there are some good values in Rosso, too. The 2018 Tenuta Di Sesta Rosso for $16 is ridiculously good for the price. I also agree on the Felsina line, up to the Rancia and Fontalloro. Great value there. And I don’t think that Arneis has been mentioned. Hard to go wrong with Giacosa and Vietti Arneis. Usually less than $25 for current releases.

Ed

1 Like