Value Italian

It’s a mix of wood treatments. The basic Serralunga Barolo and the 2016 La Rosa spend a year in French oak barriques of unspecified age. The Fontanafredda cru is aged in larger oak.

I guess they’ve nevertheless toned down their oak aging regime. I suppose in the past they’ve either used barriques exclusively for Barolo Serralunga or then they’ve just reduced the amount of new oak, because the more recent vintages of Serralunga have felt less oaky than those from the 00’s.

1 Like

Hi Otto,

Just to be clear - my €16 Fontanafredda is the normale, not the Serralunga.

Still very nice for not much coin.

Yes, that much I understood. That is fully traditional, aged 100% in larger botti casks. Me and John were just discussing on those wines that see smaller-format casks.

1 Like

You would pick this one. neener

$40-$60 bottles are considered “value” wines from Italy? Wish I had your guy’s budgets.

These have been my ‘go-tos’ for value wines from Italy. All usually under $20 a bottle.

Morellino di Scansano (Much better value than Rosso di Montalcino)
Refosco
Teroldego
Lagrein
Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (especially the spoofy old vine ones)
Rosso Piceno (Sangiovese/Montepulciano blend from Marches)
Aglianico (best grape in Southern Italy - deep, full bodied wines)

And of course, a million different whites from literally every region in Italy -

1 Like

Just dropping into this thread to give a big +1 to Tiberio. Another bottle of the 2018 Tiberio Pecorino last night. A compelling wine for $20. Not quite the Trebbiano level of interest, but I’d drink it any day.

except they all are drinking aperol spritzers. LOL

I went to a wine bar in alba, so excited because the huge by the glass selection, and all the MFers were drinking spritzers!

Followed up the Pecorino with Cerasuolo last night. Under $20 bottles of wine that bring noting but joy.

At one point everyone controlled parts of Italy.

Assuming you include Sicily as part of Italy, for $10-20, I liked the wines of Alcesti. Alcesti — Siema Brands Not terribly complex wines, but well made and easy to drink.

I feel like I post this in every value thread (maybe I should start getting commissions), but Inama Soave for $12 is one of the best Italian daily drinkers and our house white: Inama Vin Soave Classico 2019 :: Italian White

As Dennis mentions this wine delivers the goods at $18.00. Glad to have several more. Need to try the Cerasuolo.

2 Likes

have to get on the Tiberio train myself - looks great and excellent QPR.

Two from Chianti that I’d include are Volpaia CC (really good year to year) and also Rodano CC (have only had 2016 but was very good). Both are under $20, true to form and varietal but also plenty of fruit to be both crowd pleasers and versatile.

Hi - check your PMs please (add your first name to your signature).

Would agree at looking Dolcetto, Barbera and other native red wines, but don’t forget white varieties either. Recently had a Verdiso and Manzoni Bianco from Gregoletto that both were a joy to drink. Perhaps not as serious as value Chianti, Rosso or Nebbiolo, but I find many Italian white wines to be uniquely charming and often very affordable. If you’re looking to know more about Italy, there’s so much to explore beyond Sangiovese and Nebbiolo.

There are a lot of Barolo’s and Super Tuscan’s on WTSO that are good values.

2015 Vite Colte La Casa in Collina Barbaresco

had a magnum of this tonight which I bought for $35 after tax from WTSO… very satisfied for the price.

San Leonardo from Trentino

Great wine. Not cheap, but only one-third of the price of Sassicaia.

I agree, had just a RdM 2015 from Casanova di Neri yesterday. Really nice wine, good Value for around 25$.

I‘m also a fan of Chianti Classico. Two of my favorits (< 30$):
San Giusto a Rentennano
Fontodi

1 Like