2008 La Grande Dame

All,

I am TOTALLY slayed by this champagne. I have liked but not loved this one in the past.
This vintage has changed my opinion.
Anyone else tasted this one?
So refreshing and assertive. I love it.

Don

5 Likes

Definitely a paradigm shift with the 2008ā€™s. If I remember correctly itā€™s over 90% Pinot Noir. The 2008 Brut is killer also.

After avoiding all Veuve Clicquot Champagnes for some years, I decided to try the 2008 Grande Dame. Was I ever happy that I did! I immediately ordered more.

glad to hear. Iā€™ve avoided the ā€œgoldā€ and ā€œorangeā€ labels, have a couple of these in 08.

Fun note Don. Havenā€™t had one of any vintage for a few years. The notes on CT are all over the place.

+1 on the love for this fabulous Champagne.

Big fan here. The '08 is very generous and has been since arrival. I burned through a six pack and then stopped so that I could keep a bit for a future '08 horizontal now that just about everything is released. Pricing was pretty good on this too!

fred

I agree. Tried the ā€˜08 Grande Dame and ā€˜08 Brut about a week apart (this past week actually). Both were excellent but the grande dame certainly had the edge. It seemed more focused and well-rounded with everything working in harmony. Definitely recommended.

The 08 Grande Dame is stupid good. And the 08 Grande Dame Rose is even better. The winemaking took a quantum leap around the 08 vintage, and it was too-little noticed.

New Chef de Caves with the 2008 vintage: Making Champagne: A Year in the Life of a Chef de Caves

I know they are different styles, but subjectively, does anyone prefer this over the 2008 Comtes? It is coming in at the old Comtes price point. I was planning to buy a case of 2008 Comtes, and havenā€™t yet with the price increase.

Or I could just get ten cases of Mawbyā€¦

Yes!
And my whole family loves it ! champagne.gif

The rose is killer

I just bought 2 bottles after seeing this thread. I hope itā€™s great!

This is how WB can get expensive lol - I almost did the same, but reminded myself I donā€™t have room for the champagne I bought last week champagne.gif

Brad the majority of the notes are 92 or higher.

So true ahah

Iā€™ll be a voice of dissent. Have tried it a few times and I think the austerity of the house style, combined with the linear composition of 08s makes for a combination I canā€™t enjoy. Found it bitter, tart without balance, and hollow on more than one occasion. Give me 08 La Grande AnnĆ©e instead!

Dissent here too. I liked it early on, but a bottle half a year ago was disjoint and disappointing.