2009 Red Burgs ?

Now that the '09 red Burgs are almost 12 years old what are people’s early opinion of the vintage ?

In reading a lot of recent reviews, it appears that to some palates, it may be worth dipping a toe in the water and sampling some of the village and PC wines now.

Any thoughts ?

Superb vintage, some are drinking well atm

Yes, both my thumbs are up. The village and 1ers are opening up and heading into a long lovely plateau. Recent winners for me have included Bertheau, Fourrier, Arnoux, Bachelet and Lafarge. GCs and others built for the long haul I’d stay away from but many are open now and charming.

A couple of days ago I opened a Pierre Boisson Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru - no vineyard designation -that was simply excellent. One of those Burgundies that reminds you of why you buy it in the first place. I’ll be opening more village and Premier Cru in the coming months, most definitely.

+1. I backfill whenever possible.

Excellent vintage, starting to drink very well. A few of the so called ‘purists’ thought the wines were too ripe on release.

Indeed, including many on this board. There was a lot of talk about skipping 09 because they were “too ripe and new world” and instead backfilling 08s. I’m thankful that I ignored the noise and loaded up on the 09s.

I never believed the “too ripe” shouting.
2009 is overall (!) much nicer than the acidic 2008s …not mentioning 2011 … with exceptions.
Atm I prefer to drink, 07, 06, 03, 02 and older, but some 09 are very nice (eg Fixin Michel Noellat) …

The ones I have had recently are starting to drink very well in an early drinking way. A stunning 2009 Anne Gros Echezeaux a few months ago convinced me that this can be a great vintage in red. Not as focused and precise as 2010 but the wines are so sexy and enjoyable.

ive been a fan of 2009 for quite awhile. ripe but not 2003 ripe. has some structure but definitely fruit forward and in my opinion is good for early maturing. we’ll see if they age. lafarge has consistently given me pleasure in 2009 (among other years).

im sitting on some d’angerville and chevillon 1ers from 2009 and assume they may need some more time to evolve unless others tell me otherwise?

I bought very few 2009s not because they weren’t good but because of what seemed like a big price jump at the time, after 2005-2008, and with 2010s showing so well. Backfill is a great idea.

What I have, or have opened recently, has been evolving very gracefully. Mugneret Vosne, DRC Echézeaux and Bouley Fremiers are all still some way from maturity, but showing beautiful depth and plenitude. There’s a lot of fruit, but it’s succulent and fresh though ripe. The 2009 I didn’t enjoy recently was a Liger-Belair Reignots, which was very oaky and a bit flat and open knit.

A recent tasting of a Pousse d’Or Chambolle-Musigny Les Feusselottes did not inspire, well, much of anything let along confidence. Not saying it is representative of the vintage, just point out its existence. Tasted much older than the vintage date. This is not a case of it being shut down or in some odd place. Bricking and bittering and without much texture. Not sure what happened. Provenance is fine and so on. Bad bottle? Who knows? What was left over was completely shot the next morning.

The 2009 Marchand Echezeaux we had on Wednesday wasn’t too shabby either.

1 Like

I’m one of those who worries that 2009 is too warm for the long haul. My own position is that Pousse is generally riper and more extracted than most wines in any vintage, so 2009 is kind of a double whammy for the producer. Though I’m not sure that explains your experience with this particular bottle.

Absolutely!

That’s my impression of Pousse as well–prob not a year to expect them to show well (actually, I quit buying them as they continue to not be my style), but for some reason did buy some 2009’s (Volnay Caillerets, I think). I thought 2009 was too warm/too ripe on release so didn’t buy much. The ones that I’ve had have turned out much better than I expected, but many of them are still more crowd pleasers than classics, lacking a bit in typicity.

1 Like

Has anyone tried a Clavelier from 2009 recently? I few years ago I opened a Vosne Brûlée’s and a Vosne Beaux Monts. Both showed poorly, with a terrible burnt rubber aroma on the nose and a very clenched palate. I haven’t opened one since.

Having recently tasted many 1990s, and watched how they have fallen apart (latest Hudelot Noellat Clos Vougeot 1990)I have become a little wary of vintages like 2009 and 2015. My sense is that the 2009s are pleasant now, and I am not sure I would keep them for the long haul.

I normally love Clavelier and 09 but I agree re the 09 Brulees. I’ve had two disappointing experiences. More boring than anything.