Best US sparkling wines

Right now Soter is very interesting for me. Looking to expand my sparkling wine palate into domestic U.S. sparkling wines if any of you have any suggestion I would appreciate it very much.

I enjoy Schramsberg, Gruet for the budget buys

1 Like

Sparkling search function. (seriously - lots of discussions related to this)

I did, it seemed many threads were discussions about champagne. I’m not sure if there is a better way to limit queries?

I usually limit to words in the topic title, at least it’s faster moving through threads

Ah, the first results were just weird bottle shapes… then I could never find domestic only threads.

Try looking for Schramsberg or Gruet.

Here’s one:

Ultramarine

1 Like

Roederer Estate L’Ermitage Brut

Schramsberg or Ultramarine to me.

3 Likes

I love Schramsberg J. Schram (regular and late disgorged versions). I just bought some Ultramarine finally but have yet to try any.

2 Likes

I have a case of Under the Wire Sparkling wines coming this week. Never had them but I’m looking forward to trying them.

Second Roederer. In Oregon have been partial to Argyle extended tirage. But I think this is an area to keep an eye on in Oregon over the next few years. Bunch of established people/places pursuing sparking projects and some new producers focusing on it, like Mellen Meyer.

1 Like

Ultramarine, Lichen estate and Under the Wire are my go to sparklers.

How are you going to get to 50,000 posts with comments like that? champagne.gif

Excellent luck with the few bottles I have had of the Ermitage. There base bottle Sparkling is my wife’s favorite and get it on sale for around $15! champagne.gif

Organically

I’ve never had Ultramarine.

But I’m happy to see people mention Schramsberg. Last time I did a Napa visit (and that was 16 years ago mind you) it was one of the highlights. I remember them harping how they always declare a vintage even on their entry level bottlings and that stuck with me. This was before I ever heard of grower Champagne. I’m sure there are good arguments that Roederer might be “better” but I have a soft spot in my heart for Schramsberg.

1 Like

Votes for Schramsberg, Roederer’s L’Ermitage and Ultramarine. The first two have a “big house champagne” style to them, whereas Ultramarine definitely has a “grower champagne” style.

1 Like

I thought there was a change at Gruet, like wider sourcing of grapes?
Edit: Dan Kravitz was the source: https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3019893#p3019893