Best US sparkling wines

A little surprised no one has mentioned L. Mawby yet. Pioneering Michigan winery that’s been at the forefront of champenoise method since the 80’s.

1 Like

J Schram is an excellent bottling. Also consider Iron Horse from the Green Valley of the Russian River Valley- they make really tasty stuff that’s about half the price of J Schram.

1 Like

I had never heard of them. Which cuvee do you recommend?

Ty

Nothing like making the newbies feel welcome like saying we discussed this 10 years ago, search it out and comeback when you have a post worthy of those of us with 40k posts.

2 Likes

I found several Domaine Carneros offerings to be pretty tasty. Especially the 2013 Le Rêve. Second Argyle as well.

1 Like

Very hard to find unless you are in California but Equinox makes outstanding method traditional sparklers. The entry level Roederer is widely available and great for the price. Be careful about Gruet. The wines made in NM were great but a change in ownership and moving to WA the quality is all over the place.

Laetitia for the $$$ is a great deal . . .

1 Like

I have no idea, I don’t drink any US sparkling wine. Was just trying to help with the search function issues.

I may be biased (you can decide whether it’s a positive or negative one after reading the entire comment) but my ex-wife makes a really fine bubbly. It’s very dry (around 2g dosage) which I prefer. It’s called Flaunt.

Adam Lee

1 Like

The Argyle ET has always been a very good domestic sparkling wine. They also make an excellent Knudsen Vineyard Blanc de Blanc.

There’s a wave of good sparkling wine breaking in Oregon right now. I had the Mellen Meyer Blanc de Noirs two weeks ago and it was outstanding(full disclosure, the owner, Bobby Rowett, was my assistant winemaker for a year). Michael Lundeen is making excellent wines under his eponymous label. And there are quite a few small side projects these days. That said, there are a portion of these that seem to be making them for Tasting Room fodder, and utilize young vines or less optimal sites. It’s definitely a work in progress.

Chip
I think it’s perfectly fine to direct to other threads where the topic has been discussed multiple times

These queries are better as tack ons rather than brand new threads

I look at it as a PSA.

Also, all posters are equally subject to disdain, ridicule and personal attacks, which you just demonstrated. Hope that doesn’t deter people from posting, but it is part of the package

1 Like

I should’ve realized that. Sarah drinks what? [scratch.gif]

1 Like

Apparently sarcasm is now considered an attack.

Delicate flowers here these days.

Another vote for Laetitia and Lichen Estate
I also liked Goat Bubbles from Flying Goat Cellars.

For a real budget option my go-to for a big party is Jacqueline Leonne (New Mexico).

As far as the OP there are two answers

Best: Ultramarine
Best value: Roederer Estate

As for Gruet, I have been able to taste a wide range every year for well over a decade, as they are always poured at an event I go to in December (except last year for obvious reasons). The quality has fallen through the floor.

2 Likes

LOL - that’s fair! :slight_smile:

My favorite is Roeder Anderson Valley.

In addition to many of those mentioned, I like Hammerling wines out of Berkeley (until last year there were known as Blue Ox).

Never thought much of them in the first place but agree they are even worse now. Pay the extra five for Roederer Estate!