Best US sparkling wines

They’ve been serving Iron Horse at the White House for around 35 years now!
All the cuvees are good. The Classic Brut, Russian Cuvee, and Wedding Cuvee all have the same base wine (iirc around 75% Pinot and the rest Chardonnay) but different levels of dosage. The Russian is the sweetest and the Classic Brut is the driest. All are brut, however.
The Brut X is zero dosage and quite good as well, but the extra cost imo isn’t worth it.
Ocean Cuvee is nice, as it’s a BdB and is a bit different from their other wines. Bonus is that it supports National Geographic.
The Joy! bottling is exceptional. One of the best bubblies I’ve ever had. They keep it something like 12+ years on the lees and I think only bottle it in magnum. Had it there once as part of a tasting.
The other bottlings are often themed, for better or for worse. I’ve never had a bottle of Iron Horse bubbly that I’ve disliked although occasionally they don’t deliver as much oomph as I hope for. Also, their still wines are excellent. The bubbly and still wines also age very very well.

2 Likes

FYI I appreciate all these recommendations. I’m definitely bookmarking all of these.

Thanks so much!

In California: Schramsberg, Roederer, Domaine Carneros, and Iron Horse

In Oregon: Argyle

In Washington: Treveri

Biggest issue I see in OR and WA is really only Argyle has the history to offer aged cuvee’s, but expect to see a lot more high quality fizz over the next decade.

If you have a BevMo near you get Kayden for $8.99. Roederer AV and Gloria Ferrer Royal Cuvee are great too.

Westport Rivers Blancs de Blanc (Massachusetts).
Seriously. I’ve served it blind to very knowledgeable tasters, who were amazed.
Released after ~10 years on the lees.
Their regular and RJR are not nearly as good.

Otherwise I agree with Roederer Estate L’Ermitage Brut, which is much easier to find.

1 Like

I’ve been invited to the White House, have even met with the President. But I’ve never been offered sparkling wine!

I’m not on that kind of guest list. I wish!

1 Like

I don’t know about right now, but in 2023, I am highly anticipating the Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Cuvee BdB Extra Brut Zero dose.

I used to belong to their wine club, so I’ve had most of their line. All of it is pretty solid. The entry level is called “Wedding Cuvee”, which is very nice intro to their style. I personally really like their blanc de blanc sparklers, but then again, I also really like blanc de blanc Champagne, so that may say more about my personal taste than anything about Iron Horse. I’ve never had a bad sparkling wine of theirs, so tough to go wrong. Their LD Brut is phenomenal, though pricey. If you do try some, look for a bright red cherry note on the palate that I find to be a through line with the wines. Hope you try some!

1 Like

The Mumm reserve bottlings are decent as well as the DVX.

ultramarine and under the wire

A long time ago I visited the vineyard and really liked their Summit (or Russian) Cuvée initially served at the Gorbachev-Reagan summit of 85. I brought back a bottle from our trip and proceeded to drink it shortly thereafter. It wasn’t the same. But then again we drank it alongside a Fleury Champagne I believe. Unfortunately, I did not keep tasting notes back in the days.

+1 on L’Ermitage, Iron Horse Brut and Domaine Carneros. First year trying Paula Kornell and we were very impressed with it! Cheers!

You’re not Prince Charles?! champagne.gif

IMO Roederer Estate is the best value in widely-available American bubbly.

Agree with Mawbry, Westport Rivers and Argyle for outside of California.

Besides Roederer, most of the Champagne houses producing in California make reliable, sometimes truly fine bottlings: Mumm, Piper Sonoma, Domaine Carneros and Domaine Chandon. Look for the upper end bottlings; not that expensive and often really good value.

As mentioned, IMO quality at Gruet has declined to where I avoid it entirely.

I think Schramsberg is excellent across the board. I think Iron Horse is pretty good but overrated and overpriced.

I’ve posted on this before several times, with nary another comment or any reply. Of course it does have the poison word ‘Champagne’ on the label, but goddamn!, the wine is in the bottle:
Korbel Natural Russian River Valley
Not as widely available as Roederer and a big, big negative for calling it Champagne, but IMO it’s at least the same quality as the basic Roederer.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

IMO Roederer Estate is the best value in widely-available American bubbly.

My opinion also. Mumm Brut Prestige used to be my go to under $20 but quality has declined the last year.

1 Like

Nor would I have wanted to be at that dinner!

And, why Iron Horse with every course?

I just can’t get their cheesy TV ads out of my head. It’s irrational, I know.

I agree that blanc de blancs are my preferred sparkling, but blanc de noir is getting up there too.

Get on the Loubud list now.

Korbel Natural is killer for the $$, and it is not an advertised wine…it’s their Russian River Brut Nature.