Mailing List Culling

OK. Decisions decisions. Shafer HSS due Friday, but at $250 a bottle most likely a passssssssss.

Kosta Browne today and at $52 a whack for the appellation wines and the fact the S&H plus tax will push these puppies over $60 I am dropping off.

Just last year I would never consider such folly as droping off “hot” lists. My how the times have changed.

Now if HSS was <2 bills and KB < 50 bones, then I might have pulled the trigger.

Got Merus…gonna have to pass.

KB…on the fence b/c there is still some love out there for trades.

Corra and Maybach are coming up and I will hold true to these.

Rivers-Marie…went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I just don’t understand the appellations at $54 a pop. I love these wines but a $4 a bottle increase is completely unfair IMO. I have been a strong supporter both financially and vocally for a long time of Kosta Browne and this is the first time I’ve felt apprehension about buying their wines. Dissapointed

Went in for a case of Ketcham but had to back out as my CT mailing location was an issue. By the way if anyone from CT wants to be my mule, please help a fellow BB member out [berserker.gif] . Ketcham did not ship to NH, but Loring did so I got my Loring (free shipping no price increase it’s on auto).

The shipping issues are starting be a real hassle. F - Massataxafingchusetts.

jan and feb are always tough, lots of cutting to be done

big time pass on Merus this vintage. I am hoping 07 will be better and it is the last year with Mark at the wheel.

Outpost due in the next few days, might be tough with Maybach on the way as well.

Copain sitting in my email waiting to be ordered right along with sojourn

when will it stop? [beg.gif]

Bob,

Try RI, you can always do package receipt at a UPS store.

Really? How’s that work?

Not sure actually. PM Peter Czyryca, he is the one who has it set up. I have shipped stuff there a few times with no problem at all.

Yeah, the freewheeling days are over for me. I cut back last year, and will cut back even more this year. It’s a tough proposition, too. I have to do this with full knowledge that it’s basically a “final” decision - that once I’ve not responded with a buy, there’s a big chance that I will not get the opportunity to buy from the list again. But, tough times call for tough measures. Plus, it’s not that I don’t have enough wine already.

At more then $60 per bottle for KB, Shipping and Tax, I am out. Good wine but not $60 good.

I’ve been passing on domestic mailers for the past 3 or so years. This year I’m cutting even further. So far the only wine I’ve bought over the past couple of months are a couple of bottles here and there to finish out an order or something like that. I haven’t deliberately ordered anything for myself. For the moment the only mailer not on the auction block is SQN. All others are eligible for the axe this year.

You pay $10 a box for the UPS store to accept the package, or alternatively you open up a small PO BOX (which is what I did in NH) for $144/year. It’s a name only address, so no PO Box. Works well, I changed jobs and didn’t want to ask my new boss if I could receive 25 + boxes/ year in receiving!

I do that in NH…just go to the UPS store and tell them you want to set up an acct to get packages shipped there. It cost me nothing up front and between 3-5 dollars when i pick up the boxes.

The mailers that I bought last year, that I passed/am passing on this year:

Keefer
Kutch
Maybach
Shea Wine Cellars
Thomas
Araujo (unless I can find a taker as I would really like the option on 07)

Keepers:
Carlisle
Rivers Marie
Lewelling
Karl Lawrence

I am on the fence with a number of my mailers, I want to cut back but also do not want to see some of my favorites go under, if we all stop buying [help.gif]

They are a business not a charity [berserker.gif]

It has nothing to do with charity, I just do not want to see them go bust and loose the wine [cheers.gif]

I am on no mailers. I just trade for all the wine I want. [give_heart.gif]

Or just show up at Segui’s house and drink all his Carlisle. [haha.gif]

I am ignoring offers I really wanted to get a year ago, but I am reaching to buy from the producers that have become important to me over the years. I think it’s particularly important to support them in this climate.

Is Araujo out already? I’ve not seen mine.