Favorite California Pinot Appellation?

It seems quality is coming from all directions these days in cali pinot. Anderson valley, Russian river, Sonoma coast, Santa rita hills, Santa lucia highlands, Santa cruz mts, Santa Maria valley, Carneros and Marin even. I’d like to hear how you guys feel about the different appellations and the wines that hail from them. I certainly find they have different characteristics. Thanks all.

Anderson valley and Sonoma coast for me.

I’m very familiar with great examples from all of these Appellations.

Overall, Santa Cruz Mts., Sonoma Coast, SLH and Anderson Valley would probably top my list.

I’d go with Santa Lucia Highlands and Sta Rita Hills, but I am a big fan of SCM, RRV, SC…I could probably go on.

I know scott, i just love pinot, and the diversity of the terroir here is amazing. I have the most experience with russian river, sonoma coast and anderson valley, becuase i live in sonoma. But have enjoyed examples from all of these, seldom drinking carneros these days.

Santa Cruz & Mount Harlan.

Anderson valley and Santa Cruz Mtn…

TTT

Exactly Corey, the diversity is very nice. I’ve been on a Santa Cruz Mountains kick lately, but I certainly like to shift it around.

Hard to pick just one, but the Sta. Rita Hills is foremost in my mind followed by Sonoma Coast, Anderson Valley and RRV. I’m not surprised that these AVAs keep popping up in the responses.

I have limited experience with SCM, but have really liked what I’ve tried so far.

I also need to try more santa cruz mts. Mt harlan?, thats where calera is right. I have enjoyed the ones i’ve tried.

Anderson Valley & Sonoma Coast.

But potential points go to the Santa Cruz Mtns and guilty pleasure points go to the Russian River Valley.

SCM closely followed by Anderson Valley, although winemaking style is becoming just as important to me as there are great pinots being made today from plenty of Appellations.

In general, for me, all the areas in very close proximity to the ocean. Especially the First 3 ridges or so from the Sonoma Coast (Fort Ross and Occidental/Freestone Areas) and the Deep End of the Anderson Valley. The Santa Rita Hills also qualifies and i really like some of the wines, but producers seem to be pushing for bigger wines there.

Santa Cruz.

Santa Rita Hills for me.

Santa Cruz and Sonoma Coast

Sonoma Coast (in particular the Freestone/Occidental areas) probably followed by Anderson Valley, the River Bench areas of the RRV and Santa Lucia Highlands. I just made the Rhys list so I’ll get to taste the best that SCM has to offer.

Monte

My favorite sub appellation is the Sebastopol Hills…

SCM & RRV for me.

eric- i do really like alot of the wines i’ve had from sebastopol hills area, pratt, falstaff, sexton, just to name a few vineyards.