Favorite California Pinot Appellation?

Technically, I have to say RRV & Santa Lucia Highlands produce the most wines in the style of Pinot I prefer.

I have enjoyed wines from all the other regions that were made in the style I prefer, so often times the differences are subtle. I think another important factor for my limited knowledge and palate is the wine maker. Going through a flight of Brian Loring’s Pinots from various vineyards sources gives me the best read on and key differences in the individual vineyards and appellations as the style is uniform.

Sonoma Coast

David [drinkers.gif]

I call B-S on those who list SCM.

I don’t see the appelation being a top tier simply because enough producers haven’t lived up to the potential. I’d like to see all those who list SCM as a highlight to list 7-8 wineries that consistently produce superior PNs from their own appelation. I’ve got my list and it’s three. I could do multiples of this for RRV, Sonoma/whatever, SRH.

I don’t believe these SCM fan boys are being more than politically correct. [stirthepothal.gif] pileon [snort.gif]

Petaluma Gap. Okay, it’s not an appellation (but it’s being promoted like it is or will be).

Well Stu, I have 4 on my list, but I don’t think the question was “What Appellation has the most Wineries that are your favorite” I’m sure a lot of us are drinking the same wines… Rhys, Windy Oaks, Mount Eden, and I’m going to include Big Basin for now as I like what Bradley’s doing so far. Maybe even throw McHenry in too. The thing is that all these wines are different and I don’t think there is a SCM signature. These are all pretty damn good for my palate.

Rhys
Windy Oaks
Mount Eden
Clos LaChance
McHenry
Stefania
Alfaro
Testarossa
Sarah’s Vineyard…off the top of my head.

I understood this to be “Appellation,” not producer. Specific terroir, climate, etc. I can make bad wine from any appellation. Good wine makers can make the best wine possible from what’s available. I have had consistently good to great Pinot from Gary’s & Rosella’s Vineyards. Likewise great wines from “Russian River Valley.” I’ve had 2 what I would call good to great Pinots from the Carneros region, so I know good wine can come from there.

PS. Not everybody makes a fantastic wine from the Beckstoffer To Kalon vineyard.

The original post asked people to name their favorite appellation. You may not think their favorite is a “top tier”, but that’s irrelevant. And how is naming the SCM as a favorite appellation being “politically correct”? Is there some oppressed group that will be offended if SCM is not named?

hey now… thanks for all the replies… while we’re at it, if you guys want to shout out the producer/producers that best personify the appellation that you prefer. I want to put together a little tasting with a top tier wine or two from each area. Pour the pinot!!

"
I believe the (proposed) AVA being called “Petaluma WindGap”, although I’ve suggested they drop the Petaluma part and possibly substitute something like Sonoma or Sonoma Coast + WindGap.

Sonoma Coast by far, next is Russian River.

Sonoma Coast by far, next is Russian River.

Santa Cruz Mountains
Anderson Valley
Sonoma Coast

Mount Eden
Rhys
Big Basin
Woodside
Stefania
Windy Oaks
Nicholson
Wind Gap
Varner
La Honda
McHenry
Pleasant Valley Vineyards
SCMV
Alfaro
Black Ridge
Thomas Fogarty
Regale
The Mountain Winery
Skov
Muccigrosso
Downhill
Ahlgren
Beauregard
Sarah’s Vineyard
Clos LaChance
Testarosa
Villa del Monte

I’m not sure I’m able to pick a favorite. I think it’s more about individual vineyards and winemakers.

Yep.
Lots of different styles in each AVA.

BTW, Bennett Valley has a few pinot vineyards that are just beginning to produce. That cool climate that is so nice for Rhone varieties does pretty well with pinot, too. Something to look forward to.
Best, jim

Santa Cruz Mtn’s for me.

Off to to taste at Alfaro and possibly Windy Oaks this afternoon.

In addition to these 2 my favorites from the region are; Rhys, Mount Eden, Stefania, Big Basin, and Vine Hill (especially their Cumbre line). Still have a lot more to explore, but have only been out here since May.

Brian Loring wrote:I’m not sure I’m able to pick a favorite. I think it’s more about individual vineyards and winemakers.

Brian, i absolutely agree, but i also think there is vineyards that represent the qualities of the appellations well. Obviously you feel the same way and i love to look at producers like you and siduri and ap vin, that feature svd’s from each of the prime spots, allowing for evaluation of terroir with less cellar variability.

Ditto.

Sorry to be so off-putting, guys.

I have tasted through most of what these listings have on offer, making the rounds at the Pinot Paradise events in Campbell each year and touring during the association’s Passport and other times when we are up there. Many that have been listed have yet to produce what I consider truly “superior” pinots, able to hold their own against those from the other appelations. Until I can see more of those producers stepping it up, I will disagree with those of you who list SCM as a “favorite.”

At this point I view SCM as having the potential to be tremendous and, in the hand of a few, it’s already there. But the OP asked for our favorites, so, thinking that a favorite appellation ought to have tons if not megatons of superb pinot producers, I poked my nose in (with appropriate emoticons to show I wasn’t trying to be harsh). [smileyvault-ban.gif]