Are there any wines you really like/love that (almost) no one else gets?

Mine in this category is probably Vin Jaune. I almost should have no reason to love these, but I do. My last one tasted, from last July:

"1986 Chateau Chalone Catherine du Rye Vin Jaune

Opened and slow-oxed for 18 hours. There’s nothing else like this stuff. Fascinating wood varnish, cured hay, truffle oil and walnut/pecan combo. Vibrant is the word to use for the palate, like drinking walnut and brazil nut oil, yet all framed by lemony side and a real saline feel. This is absolutely not for everyone, but it is brilliant for me."

Thoughts? Would be interested to see what you others come up with.

kwa heri,

Mike

Late harvest Vignoles from Holly-field in Kansas. Amazing stuff.

I sell Bourdy wines from the Jura. Few get them aside from Tryba…

I like good examples of pinotage, but I know that’s a wine that most other wine people love to hate. My favorite has been the Spice Route Flagship Pinotage.

I have never understood the haters of Pinotage. We’ve sold scores of delicious ones over the years and I NEVER see this reaction when we pour them at tastings.

I really enjoy Carignan-heavy blends from the South of Frence. Domaine Rimbert “Le Mas au Schiste” is one of my favorites. For most of my friends these wines are mere curiosities or worse, but I love the exotic flavors and aromas.

What’s it like? Do they make anything else of value? Still trying to find a gem or two in the Missouri-Kansas area. So far it’s been all sink juice.

There used to be a doctor in Kansas who made excellent Elderberry wine in several bottlings ranging from dry to quite sweet. He somehow even got the BATF to let him put health claims on the labels (based on old Roman prescriptions for using it as a medicine). We sold some for a while then the distributor dropped them.

Yes! Carignane from CA. (Never had any from France).

Montevertine IGT from Chianti. Old school, pure, red fruited, ethereal and elegant. Predominately Sangiovese with a small % of a couple traditional blending grapes. Nothing modern about this wine. Priced between $35 and $45 per,this drinks more like $100 plus IMO.

Off-dry and sweet fruit wines. Iced fruit wines done well can give any late harvest or icewine a run for their money.

Yes, I might add a top-rate fruit wine as another choice for me, some of 'em can really hit the spot. I like Montevetrine too, Craig.

I’ve has carignane from Preston. Who else makes it?

I like Carlisle’s.

Amy Butler @ Ranchero Cellars in Paso Robles.

Craig,

I also love the Montevertine, but given the steady climb in prices, it’s clear we have plenty of company among those who love this wine. Too many folks “get” it’ unfortunately…

Cheers,

Bill

Good Bourgogne level Burgundy.

Last Carignane I had was from Roshambo. Cline makes one.

Old Madeira.

It’s not wine, but Fernet Branca - my friends all abhor it, with the exception of one restaurant critic friend.
I was immediately fascinated by it, and found myself ordering it quite often at the end of an evening