Are there any wines you really like/love that (almost) no one else gets?

Port

Roshambo now that brings back memories. We sold the brand and visited the winery on our Cali trip. It was a very shall we say interesting venture with an energetic artsy female owner. I think her name is Naomi.

I was not sure if her self funded “fun” winery would last or not. Apparently not.

Italian Taurasi

Still Rose Wine (wine geeks seem to not really pay attention yet for me its almost the perfect style of wine for most situations).
Jura Reds
Muscat Variety

Hey EVERYBODY with a great palate thinks Port rocks! newhere

Franciacorta, and at least around here, pinot blanc.

Craig & Bill - That Montevertine is terrible. Knock it off!

Sparkling Shiraz. (There, I said it…)

Not really sure who else “gets it” or doesn’t but I didn’t get Jura blanc after the first couple sips until I put a piece of roast chicken in my mouth and then… HOLY C**P!!! That rocked.

I think it is the oxidation thing. I found the same with oxidized Viura/Rioja Blanco. Tastes like spit to me until a shaving of jamon hits my tongue and then it is magical.

+1. Amaros are fantastic.

Nice Bordeaux Supérieur
Ditto Bourgogne Rouge/Blanc
Fino, Manzanilla, Dry Oloroso and Amontillado Sherry - seriously, while I can get everybody that I drink wine with to drink dry sherries, virtually none of them really gets my deep love of these.
Bone dry Loire Chenin Blanc - I love them, but let’s face it, at the top level, they’re hardly crowd pleasers…

I’ve had some old ones that can be truly amazing…

+1, in fact Languedoc-Roussillon in general.
I really love many of the white wines from the region

+2 I like Averna too but Fernet Branca is my fave

Maybe Chilean Carmenère?

Lambrusco

Red Vinho Verde. Rosé Musar. Slovenian Teran. Blauer Wildbacher made into a red instead of rosé.

N. Joly-Coulee de Serrant. I won’t say that no one gets this wine, but professional reviewers beat up Joly’s style. I love this wine (both 04 and 06 vintages so far). It makes a great food/wine combination with oriental fare whether hot (Sechuan) or otherwise.

Pommeau. i absolutely love the stuff (and pretty much anything else with apple), but it is hard to find and nobody wants to drink it with me. My wife wants to cook with it, which I admit is tasty, but such a waste. My best friend enjoys virtually anything else I serve him, but finds Pommeau to be detestable. I get to have maybe a bottle a year for the holidays.

Sherry.

That was an easy one.

Hi Mike - thanks for posting the question.

I own a bottle of the 1983 Chateau Chalone - Vin Jaune - which is now 30 years old.

After reading your loveley and detailed TNs, maybe I should open it this year.

One small question, what was the purpose ( or do I really need to open it and do the slowed-oxed for 18 hours ) ?

I ask because I normally do wine event in a BYOW Rest.