Are there any wines you really like/love that (almost) no one else gets?

I like really rough and rustic (and cheap!) Italian wines of all kinds. Also, I really love Tony Coturri’s wines from Sonoma, though he catches a lot of grief for bottle variation and his “set it and forget it” approach to winemaking.

Gringet from the Savoie (has an herbal/elderflower quality to it that I really like) and reds from Salento in Italy (these have an earthiness to them that is different than most reds. With some age the secondary characteristics become quite interesting).

Byron

+1 - have you tried the Grignet-based bubblies? Very tasty!

Malbec Rose’

When I was in college (circa 2004), a high end grocer sold the Crios Malbec Rose for $3.99 and I had lots of it (probably the first wine I ever drank that was not served to me at dinner or something…first time I ever bought wine to be more clear). It is probably the nostalgia I associate w it, but I still drink a decent amount of it and think it is an unappreciated wine by many.

Great swatch of answers everyone, thanks for chiming in. I’ve had one or two Sparkling Shiraz that have been terrific (a 1998 Rockford Basket Press Black comes to mind) and five or six that weren’t. Jura white = Vin Jaune and Vin de Paille for me :slight_smile: Yes, good Taurasi can be a very nice wine and (naturally, perhaps) I’m one who loves the idiosyncratic nature of Musar, especially the older stuff. A good Manzanillo can be very enjoyable for me if I’m in the mood.

Peter, those wines will last another 30 years so don’t be in a rush to open it. I just wanted to be sure to give it enough air as I was afraid it’d still be on the young side. The event was my WineFest III back in July of last year, when I opened 56 bottles from my cellar. The thread is on here somewhere, I’ll fetch it and PM it to you.

Rose, if it’s again quality stuff, can be amazing—but I’m thinking of Tempier, Mordoree and Cotat Chavignol when I think of that.

How could I have forgotten Manzanilla sherry? Absolutely! Also Madeira - dessert wines in general seem to have been abandoned by most people these days…

Alsatian Pinot Noir

Fino Sherry, Manzanilla, Oloroso…easy one for me too.

Most responses seem to ignore the “that (almost) no one else gets” part of the question.

Aglianico. Love the density laced with cooked meat. I think it’s really serious stuff, especially with a little age, but it’s damn hard to find and I don’t ever see it in people’s cellars.

Robert…very interest observation.

I did not quite understand what exactly the phase : * that ( almost ) no one else gets * implied to…

If almost noone else gets them, they probably wouldn’t be available???

Odd…thanks for the clarification and I think you are right ! [cheers.gif]

So in a way and from the example which Mike listed, I am perhaps the only one who posted the right answer [dance-clap.gif]

How long do you let it decant for?

I have a couple bottles and have been thinking of drinking a couple ounces each day for a week as an experiment, of sorts.

Dutch wine [cheers.gif]
Regent from a winery called: aan de brede beek

Ted, you’re absolutely not alone in loving Fernet

Imagine a Sauternes w/o the botrytis. Viscous, sweet, complex fruit flavors, long finish.

As to other Missouri wines, I judge the Mo. state fair wine competition so I’ve had a lot of them over the years. I’d look for Stone Hill, Coopers Oak, and Montelle. You might also look at the state by state winners from the Mid American Wine Competition. See http://www.midamericanwine.org (In the interest of full disclosure I should add that I run the Mid-American)

Mayo makes a great one. Just drank the 2004 simply delicious and delicate.

High end Carmerere love them.

+1.

Lots of Galardi Terra di Lavoro in mine.