Rhys Futures Tweet

There was a tweet today about a futures notice coming next Tuesday. [cheers.gif] Anyone have any info on this? I’m wondering if it will be open to all on their list, or if it is just for select customers.

Kevin??

Craig and Russ,
We might be guilty of pre-mature tweeting since we haven’t sent out an email yet, but here is the gist of it-

Welcome to the first ever Rhys Vineyards Futures offering!!
After several years of low estate vineyard production, Mother Nature has finally smiled on Rhys and in both the 2012 and 2013 vintages our vineyards experienced exceptional quality and good yields. Before opening our mailing list and adding new customers, we would like to offer current customers the opportunity to purchase special formats and quantities of two of our very best wines from the thrilling 2012 vintage. With nearly perfect weather throughout the entire growing season, the 2012 vintage produced wines of exceptional balance, precision and freshness at both Alpine and Horseshoe vineyards. We expect these wines to drink very well in their youth but continue to improve for decades.
This offering is intended to allow our customers to secure larger formats, such as magnums and 3 liter bottles, as well as full case quantities. Participation is completely optional and customers happy with a standard 4 to 6 bottle allocation of 750 ml bottles have no reason to order at this time. The quantity of wine available in this offering is limited in order to make sure that we will have enough bottles of these wines to offer standard 4-6 bottle allocations during the regularly scheduled offering in the Spring of 2015.
This offering is timed to allow for the bottling of these non-standard formats per your request so in a sense it offers a custom bottling option to our customers. Magnums and 3 Liter bottles will be packaged in an attractive Rhys Vineyards wooden box unless otherwise requested. This is also the only opportunity to purchase the 2012 Rhys San Mateo in the half bottle, 375 ml, format. All of these wines will be shipped in the Fall shipping season of 2014.

Here is a list of bottlings offered:
2012 Rhys San Mateo 12x375ml $299

2012 Rhys Alpine Pinot Noir 12x750s $828
2012 Rhys Horseshoe Pinot Noir 12x750s $828

2012 Rhys Alpine Pinot Noir 1.5L for $159
2012 Rhys Horseshoe Pinot Noir 1.5L for $159

2012 Rhys Alpine Pinot Noir 3L for $319
2012 Rhys Horseshoe Pinot Noir 3L for $319

My wife’s gonna kill me, or at a minimum, change the locks

Kevin,

first - WOW…
second - Thanks for the explanation… clarification please…

1. If we sign up on the futures for say a 3L and a couple of Mags… and skip the 12pack case offering, are we still going to get the regular 4-6 btl offering when the time comes?

2. Is the San Mateo the only one offered in 375 format?

3. Any special labelling/etching etc for the 3L bottles :wink:

Thanks!

Good questions Mark. Answered in bold.

Kevin,

first - WOW…
second - Thanks for the explanation… clarification please…

1. If we sign up on the futures for say a 3L and a couple of Mags… and skip the 12pack case offering, are we still going to get the regular 4-6 btl offering when the time comes?
    Yes, you will still receive the 4-6 bottle allocation whether or not you order. The only reason to order 750s now is if you would like a solid case.

2. Is the San Mateo the only one offered in 375 format?
    Currently it is. Please let us know if there is customer demand for vineyard designated bottlings in 375ml.

3. Any special labelling/etching etc for the 3L bottles :wink:
    The 3L will be sealed with black peelable wax and packaged in it’s own wooden box. No etching is currently planned.

Thanks!

I would love the opportunity to get 375s across the entire lineup. Calera has done this for awhile and it’s such a good way to get a sense of all the different vineyards at a low cost.
Actually, I find 500ml the preferable (and perfect) small format but I’m not sure the legalities or demand for that size.

I second Keith. I’d think having the entire lineup would be popular. Also a big fan of 500s as I know Scholium does a bottle in that size.

I would max-buy 375 mL of the entire lineup.

so you would definitely have it set up where a futures purchase and subsequent failure to buy would not have the normal effect on allocations?

and why no 12x750 mL OWCs?

Kevin,
In order to plan for future Rhys purchases, can you give us more info on the Alesia offering coming in the spring? I believe you have mentioned 2 pinots and 2 chards in a separate fist come first served order. What kind of availability price points can we expect on those? Thanks.

I think the question would be - are futures purchases accounted for as “purchase history”? b/c purchase history is what guides future allocations.
My bet is it does… so buying at futures, and not buying on subsequent offering would not impact allocations. but would it drop you off the list? i don’t know. Kevin?

Also, as mentioned by others - I would too love and would buy 375ml… that would be awesome. A CASE may be a challenge though…

It’s also funny as Kevin’s probably not expecting to open a CAN with a tweet… :wink: but that speaks to the passion and popularity of the winery and its fans. [cheers.gif]

I would absolutely be interested in 375s

+375 (entire line-up)

I’m sure anytime Rhys puts out something publicly Kevin says to himself “ahhhhh sh*t, time to go deal with the Berserkers.” neener

375s/500s - yes please

A mixed case of 375s would be great — “samples.”

Oh, man. A sampler case of small format. Brilliant!

500 ml is perfect. I’ll make due with 375s for now though :slight_smile:

I have a verifiable solution to this, Tim.
Take your wife for a visit. Wine tastes even better from people that treat you special. And in a delightful paradox, seems more dear yet less expensive!
[cheers.gif]