Wines too good to post notes?

I’ve had a few lately. Of course, I don’t post tasting notes, but don’t you ever just say, “Screw those guys (me included). This is MY Time!”??

Hey Dan…sorry, not a Kosta Browne Pinot…Kidding aside, good to see you here.

1983 Rousseau Chambertin for me…ho soooooooo sweet!!!

I’m not sure it is that, more that I no longer (except at tastings) take formal notes.

I’m just not as focussed/diligent/geeky about it. I can enjoy a bottle, or even a few over dinner, get some mental notes/impressions, and maybe I’ll remember to share or maybe posting just isn’t that important. Nothing to do with the wine, just my mood.

My notes used to be paragraphs, now it may just be a notation in my cellar list “very nice 2-09, try again 2015” or “closed tight as a drum 2-09, try 2025”.

Useless to you and others, but it tells me when to pop the next one. And it tells me when I last tried one.

I write my notes for me. it helps me to remember the event as well as the wines. but then i believe in journaling. As long as I have written them up, I post them so that others can read or ignore as they wish. I probably write notes on 80% of the wines I drink.

it’d be a lot easier to post a note if you hadn’t hogged the entire frickin bottle.

Context is important to me in regards to notes. If I’m not taking the time to pay attention to the wine and maybe scratch something down then I won’t bother. Say in a more social situation. Like tonight we will be hanging out at the cellar for a party. Very stand up social situation. So I will post something short in CT for any of my wines popped just for my personal reference but they won’t be involved enough to bring them to the board as they would not be useful other than to say ‘I drank this and I liked it’, etc.

I don’t think of it that way, but most of the best bottles I open I take to restaurants or entertain with. I rarely write tasting notes from those situations.

I generally try to write a note on every wine I taste and post a note on it on various wine boards as my way of giving back to the community. However, sometimes out of the clear blue I’ll just kick back at the table and sip away without a care in the world. Probably the way it should really be.

I used to take TNs everywhere! Finally stopped taking them at dinners and offlines, because I found I couldn’t hold a conversation and write notes at the same time. As to especially good wines, yeah, I think I pass on TNs on those as well - because it comes down to just enjoying the moment, instead of analyzing it.

I have never been a particularly good TN writer…I usually use impressions, maturity and food matching for my notes. I simply do not have the ability to write the flowery notes that others do. Luckily, FWIW, I belong to tasting groups with excellent writers and I can simply “add on” to their tomes.
Dan, to answer your question…it is not that the wine is too good [rofl.gif] ; I am just not good at it!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Yes, but not often. I have a simple wine blog I write almost everything I drink down in, except those bottles that I open many of within short periods of time. I use it as a diary because, since I drink often, I will forget what I’ve had.

I used to just write down my notes for myself, but, since these notes have a nasty habit of getting lost, I set up my blog - relatively very recently though - around the 3rd quarter of 2007.

When I look through notes of even just a year ago, I can’t believe I have forgotten so many wines I’ve had.

I occasionaly do that. Usually when I’m out to dinner as during that time, I’d rather just hang out and let the wine complement the dinner and friends instead of concentrating on the wine.

(Unless it’s one of those “Wow” wines in which case, I will try and make mental notes and write them down later.)

I fell into the same boat. I’ve been just trying to enjoy them now and my shortened hieroglyphic notes are really only meaningfull to me. On CT I’ve just been popping 5 word cliff notes in the private section. Not sure if I’m just geting lazy or I’m just short enough on time and want to concentrate on what matters.

I try to write a note for every wine I drink … although I probably miss 10 - 20% due to circumstance and/or laziness. I truly enjoy writing a TN while I’m enjoying a wine … whenever I “just don’t feel like it”, I forget about taking one … but, usually, I look forward to writing the note…I think I often enjoy a wine more as a result of taking a note.

Although I write my notes for me, I also clean them up a bit and share them with “the community” … I enjoy the conversation that some TN’s spark, and figure the note will be there in the event someone decides to run a search for it.

True, and I apologize for that, but that was my last magnum!

Ok - so what was it?

Dan - what was yours?

The other night, after a fun evening, Andrew V, Shane F, and Ed K came over and we opened too much wine. After everyone left, there was a half bottle left of 03 Hourglass left. I spent about an hour just enjoying the crap out of it, watching a little “Miracle on Ice” doohickey on HBO. It was just great to enjoy and not have to put anything into words.

[quote="Dan KostaThe other night, after a fun evening, Andrew V, Shane F, and Ed K came over and we opened too much wine. After everyone left, there was a half bottle left of 03 Hourglass left. I spent about an hour just enjoying the crap out of it, watching a little “Miracle on Ice” doohickey on HBO. It was just great to enjoy and not have to put anything into words.[/quote]

which you just did.

which you just did.[/quote]

Well played, John…well played… [highfive.gif]