Coffee maker recommendations?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Kyle Schlachter

#1 Post by Kyle Schlachter » February 7th, 2015, 7:43 am

We have a Capresso CoffeeTec 471 that seems to be on its last gasping breath. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement/upgrade? The things we really like about it and would want in the next machine are: 1. Thermal carafe; 2. Removable water reservoir; 3. Programmable start.

We also have a Capresso espresso maker, but that thing won't let water pass through if the grinds are fine or if they're tamped down with anything other than a feather. A combo drip/espresso machine would be ideal, but not necessary. (FWIW we have a burr grinder we like so that won't be needed) I don't mind spending for a machine that's worth it, but under $500 would probably be necessary to convince my wife...

Thanks in advance!
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by alan weinberg » February 7th, 2015, 11:30 am

Technivorm Moccamaster

Doug Sher

#3 Post by Doug Sher » February 7th, 2015, 4:03 pm

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Andrew Kotowski » February 7th, 2015, 8:22 pm

alan weinberg wrote:Technivorm Moccamaster
Unless they changed the design, it doesn't hit his qualifications.

I love my Technivorm Moccamaster, personally :D
Instagram at @akgrill

M Hudson

#5 Post by M Hudson » February 7th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Check out the brehmor plus....

I own a tecnivorm and were it to buy another that's what I would get.
M@rk
Actions Matter

Sarah Kirschbaum

#6 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 8th, 2015, 5:30 am

Another satisfied Technivorm user for when I want drip coffee as opposed to espresso. I prefer it over most press and pour-over options.

It has a thermal pot, but doesn't meet the other specifications. A removable water reservoir would be nice, but I personally would never need an auto start, as I think pre-ground beans have a significant negative impact on taste.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Kyle Schlachter

#7 Post by Kyle Schlachter » February 8th, 2015, 6:48 am

Thanks everyone. The Brazen sounds interesting, but I think we're leaning towards the Bonavita 1900TS. Our specs aren't set in stone, just features we enjoyed with the Capresso and mostly for convenience for my wife.

As a side note to relate this topic to wine, I found it interesting and amusing seeing that Consumer Reports scores these three near the bottom of its ratings (46, 44, and 41 pts / 100) whereas a Cuisinart and Mr. Coffee were highest rated at 87 and 83 pts. Kinda shows how silly points are...
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by TGigante » February 8th, 2015, 8:44 am

Kyle

We have the Bonavita 1800SS. Great machine, perfect brew temp, fast brewing. Does not have a programmable timer but not an issue due to brew speed (6 min). Pot is 8 cups so a little on the small side if you have a couple of people taking multiple large fills. Of course easy to brew another small pot due to speed, has an easy to read cup marking on water fill reservoir so no guessing on water fill. Water res is not removable either.

I don't think the 1900 model is programmable but not sure. Just wanted to make you aware if that was a deal killer.
Cheers,
Tony

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#9 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 8th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Please report back on the Bonavita. It does look like a nice machine for the money.

The pourover feature-- and the pause to let the grounds "bloom".... of the Brazen is a real plus, IMO, but I've read about so many problems, I guess I'd avoid that.

I have Technivorm..and have for almost 10 years. No complaints..though it is pricey. The key to all of those mentioned (Bonavita, Brazen, Technivorm..is the high temp brewing.

Kyle Schlachter

#10 Post by Kyle Schlachter » February 8th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:Please report back on the Bonavita. It does look like a nice machine for the money.

The pourover feature-- and the pause to let the grounds "bloom".... of the Brazen is a real plus, IMO, but I've read about so many problems, I guess I'd avoid that.
The 1900 has that feature, and those Brazen reports are leaning us to Bonavita. Doesn't look like it ships til end of Feb. though.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

D. Wirsig
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#11 Post by D. Wirsig » February 8th, 2015, 9:11 pm

We have a bonavita, but I often find myself going to manual pour over. I've found the bonavita water temp too hot for some beans.
Dan

#12 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 9th, 2015, 11:46 am

Dan...I don't know enough to know how that would manifest itself? Can you elaborate? I've always read/thought since reading that hot was better...for extraction of the oils. And, which kinds/styles of beans are more inappropriate for hotter water? (I do know I can't taste/drink coffee from those higher heat machines until they cool off...it's painful for me..and the nuances get blurred. My wife heats water in the mug first...to make sure the Technivorm coffee is hot enough I guess....we're not well matched.)

D. Wirsig
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#13 Post by D. Wirsig » February 10th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Stuart -- There are so many variables, it's a bit hard to give an exact answer... Some of my favorite beans to brew are African dry processed which can give a wild, fruity cup. From various testing I've found a slightly lower temp (190-200) can provide a sweeter, more enjoyable cup with all the nuance and complexity desired. Drip coffee has more latitude, but when you get into espresso and such short extractions even 1 degree can make a lot of difference.

I do like most Central American beans in the Bonavita. I forgot to note earlier but I've also seen uneven water dispersion on the showerhead of my Bonavita.
Dan

C. R a s k i n

#14 Post by C. R a s k i n » February 10th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Anyone hear of the Ratio coffee maker?
Curtis R@skin

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
- Douglas Adams

Kyle Schlachter

#15 Post by Kyle Schlachter » February 10th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Yeah, saw that. Looks beautiful, but not what we're looking for.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Andrew Kotowski » February 10th, 2015, 7:23 pm

D. Wirsig wrote:Stuart -- I forgot to note earlier but I've also seen uneven water dispersion on the showerhead of my Bonavita.
I've found this with my Technivorm, as well. I always stir the grounds at the beginning stages of each brew to ensure they're all used evenly.

Personally, I enjoy the fact that it has two buttons - one to brew, the other to keep the burner on. Given I never leave a pot on long enough to need the second, it's quite literally a push-button machine :D
Instagram at @akgrill

#17 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 11th, 2015, 6:05 pm

D. Wirsig wrote:Stuart -- There are so many variables, it's a bit hard to give an exact answer... Some of my favorite beans to brew are African dry processed which can give a wild, fruity cup. From various testing I've found a slightly lower temp (190-200) can provide a sweeter, more enjoyable cup with all the nuance and complexity desired. Drip coffee has more latitude, but when you get into espresso and such short extractions even 1 degree can make a lot of difference.

Still not sure we're talking about brewing temperature vs. drinking temperature. I can't drink/taste hot coffee, but I'd rather have coffee from a high temp brewing system...and let it cool off..than lower brewing temp...like a cuisinart/Mr. coffee....

And....none of the machines I've ever used that brew at high temps (Technivorm, Newco) allow for control over brewing temps, so..I've never tried to mess with the temps.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Jay Miller » February 12th, 2015, 8:17 am

C. R a s k i n wrote:Anyone hear of the Ratio coffee maker?
Not out yet, right?

I'm waiting for initial reviews to come in before deciding on whether to get one. In theory I want one but I'll see.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Kyle Schlachter

#19 Post by Kyle Schlachter » February 24th, 2016, 12:26 pm

We bought the Bonavita 1900TS about 11 months ago. Been very happy with it. Just this week I noticed the reservoir was starting to show signs of cracking - no leaking yet, but didn't want to wait to contact Bonavita. Great customer service from Clive Coffee and Bonavita as there is a new brewer on the way!
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Stan Y.

#20 Post by Stan Y. » February 24th, 2016, 12:44 pm

Neat, I see you checking in on a thread you started.

I've had a Technivorm for many years, good machine, but I don't like that I can't wash the thermal carafe in the dishwasher. I might even be tempted to try a Bonavita sometime but like other folks here have been doing pourovers the last several months. Low tech in a nice way.

My latest infatuation is with an Aeropress the last few weeks. Like Dan says I think some of the fruity acidic African coffees do well with slightly lower temp and that's how the Aeropress is used, then I can add more coffee and still get a sweet cup that's somewhere between drip and espresso.
S. Y @ t € s

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Jay $$ Winton » February 24th, 2016, 12:51 pm

love our percolator. Laugh away but it makes great coffee and all our guests even those who have expensive machines tell us so.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

#22 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 24th, 2016, 12:58 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... paper&_r=0

article in today's NY Times about making the best cup of morning coffee...mentions both Bonavita and Technivorm, among others.

Nothing startlingly new in the article, though some nice pointers about beans, grinders, etc.

Nice to hear Bonavita stands by its products. Technivorm, I've found over the years, is a pain to deal with...and has been quite defensive.

Stan Y.

#23 Post by Stan Y. » February 24th, 2016, 1:17 pm

It's funny Stuart, they talk about a new Chemex brewer in there, and that's exactly what I use with my Technivorm now - the Chemex pot I have is a perfect fit.

I disagree a bit with what they say about grinders. I have a Baratza Virtuoso now (newer burr design), have had many others, and it's barely decent...still doesn't approach what you get from a Ditting from a shop, too much grind variation.
S. Y @ t € s

#24 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 24th, 2016, 2:01 pm

like everything (almost) lots of tradeoffs...freshness for regularity of the grind here.

I love the aroma of freshly ground coffee...and experience it every morning with my Capresso. I like the coffee I make, and have been using the same blend for over a decade, and we never seem to get tired of it, which surprises both me and my wife.

I think many things in coffee making are not worth an extra effort...as they are more theoretical than discernible.

Stan Y.

#25 Post by Stan Y. » February 24th, 2016, 2:06 pm

You are right, one of many examples of diminishing returns. Although Alan's siren song of roasting your own is very appealing, I move increasingly towards simplicity with my coffee prep.

Edit: wasn't suggesting getting coffee ground in the shop, would like to have a Ditting grinder! Too much counter space though, and costs almost as much as a bottle of La Tache :-).
S. Y @ t € s

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Andrew Kotowski » February 24th, 2016, 2:55 pm

After 10 years, my Technivorm finally crapped out. Bought a new KBT (other one had a glass pot, no ability to slow drip). Good stuff.
Instagram at @akgrill

#27 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 24th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Stan Y. wrote:You are right, one of many examples of diminishing returns. Although Alan's siren song of roasting your own is very appealing, I move increasingly towards simplicity with my coffee prep.
I'm not really sure how "appealing" it is. It adds lots of variables, including the beans and consistent blending...if you want something consistent, which I do. There are some things in the kitchen I've decided aren't worth the effort for various reasons...doing from scratch..and some things that are. I'm not sure home-roasting would be worth the efforts..but I've never tasted the efforts, so....I only question it, not dismiss it. And, then...i've found that fresh-roasted beans need to "cure" a bit, too....so....another complicating factor to deal with.

I'm just now into using stones to sharpen knives...and am not sure it is worth the effort, vis a vis going to a place that sharpens knives.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 25th, 2016, 7:43 am

It is hard to hate an inanimate object but if this was a dude I'd have smacked him real hard already. We truly hate our coffeemaker for legit reasons, it is not just prejudice.
BV1800_detail.jpg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by Chris Foley » February 25th, 2016, 9:21 am

You gotta get the Bonavita with Melitta thermal carafe.
Chris F.

#30 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 25th, 2016, 9:58 am

Glenn..can you elaborate...why do you "hate" it...?

Does it make good coffee?

Curious...as , if there's one without a glass carafe, that's what I would buy with today's choices. (No need to spend the extra on Technivorm).

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 25th, 2016, 10:16 am

Design: #4 paper filters barely fit in the plastic receptacle and you best have the grounds perfectly situated, balanced and low, when you place carafe and filled receptacle back into coffee maker. There is a NASA level of space tolerance present when you do this, any variance and the edge of the paper filter will catch and it's coffee-coffee everywhere. Also the plastic receptacle has one tiny egress into the carafe, get grounds or detritus or calcification in here and it's coffee-coffee everywhere.

Additionally, and this is super weird, once poured out of carafe and into cup the made coffee cools down very rapidly. I have not performed thermometer experiments to see if data supports our anecdotal experience.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

#32 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 25th, 2016, 11:06 am

Doesn't sound like fun.....i wonder if a gold filter would rectify?

Re: temperature....people are looking for different temps...and have different tolerances. I want mine to cool down quickly. My wife puts heated water in her mug first. Well-matched couple.

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Gary Schulte » February 26th, 2016, 6:26 pm

The OXO 9 cup coffee maker has been absolutely terrific for us. It reproducibly makes a perfect cup of coffee at the right temperature.

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#34 Post by Chris Foley » February 27th, 2016, 4:39 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: ...
There is a NASA level of space tolerance present when you do this,
[wow.gif]
I guess I don't hate that.
My simple routine is successful every morning. [whistle.gif]
Chris F.

Michael Klein

#35 Post by Michael Klein » March 1st, 2016, 8:42 am

Our Bonavita 1900TS is fabulous and STUPID easy to use. I think they improved things a lot from the model you have, Glenn. It's crazy to me to hear you are having such issues!

This is the model we have: http://bonavitaworld.com/products/8-cup ... mal-carafe

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 1st, 2016, 8:50 am

I wish we had gone for the thermal carafe but there was some report somewhere about this cracking and exploding/blowing-up so wife insisted on the glass one. I am guessing the thermal carafe doesn't have the filter/showerhead issues we have witnessed.

They couldn't brainstorm a better name for that part than showerhead?

Michael Klein

#37 Post by Michael Klein » March 1st, 2016, 8:53 am

Glenn, I would touch base with Bonavita. Just tell them you hate the carafe and even tell them your disappointment in the whole model. It wouldn't surprise me if they sent you a new machine.

#38 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 1st, 2016, 9:39 am

And, tell em you talk a lot..on bulletin boards. I agree with Michael..worth a try. Why be unhappy about this?

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 9th, 2016, 7:43 am

I did not contact Bonavita but did read their bulletin boards linked here. There was a post there about how taking the model I have apart and dishwashing all the parts makes a real difference in performance, so despite my rigid skepticism we did this and lo and behold coffee is way better! Shockingly it seems to stay warmer longer too but I wish I had done thermometer testing so I could present data here.

How I wish I had known about the dishwasher solution! I will report if #4 filter ever gets folded over by the lip of the "showerhead" again but so far smooth sailing.

Dishwashing our way to better coffee.
Last edited by Glenn L e v i n e on March 22nd, 2016, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Brian Lynch » March 9th, 2016, 9:59 am

alan weinberg wrote:Technivorm Moccamaster

I like this as well.

OT: the old coffee I used to like is not good with the high brewing temp of the Moccamaster. If you or other fans have a favorite bean or style that works well with this, I'd like your input. Still searching for an optimal bean match for the system. Thanks
The Waterboys

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#41 Post by Chris Foley » March 9th, 2016, 10:26 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: I will report if #4 filter ever gets folded over by the lip of the "showerhead" again but so far smooth sailing.
Tipping the carafe a little as you slide it under the head should be all it takes to prevent the filter from getting caught and folding over.
A Melitta thermal carafe is available on Amazon, comes with the plastic cone.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080J ... _it&sr=8-1
Chris F.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 9th, 2016, 10:40 am

So no paper filters Chris?

Michael Klein

#43 Post by Michael Klein » March 9th, 2016, 11:25 am

Very interesting Glenn!

I also find that if I just run some hot water from my tap into the thermos/kettle just before brewing, it tends to stay hotter longer. That being said, I usually drink most of what I brew, or pour it into a to-go cup before it has a chance to get cold.

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#44 Post by Chris Foley » March 9th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:So no paper filters Chris?
They sell the carafe as a pour thru coffee maker, not a replacement pot.
So its the same cone that came with your coffee maker.

I usually use the brown paper filters, but grabbed a box of the white by mistake last time I bought them.
My dad says the paper absorbs some of the oil, therefore reducing LDL consumption versus a metal filter.
Chris F.

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#45 Post by Chris Foley » March 9th, 2016, 12:35 pm

After 2 hours the coffee is still plenty hot.
At night I've reheated coffee left in the pot all day - tastes just as good as in the am.
Chris F.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 22nd, 2016, 8:25 am

Coffee, coffee everywhere this AM. Wife didn't check the single, small caliber egress of the plastic filter-holder for patency. A few grimes got in there and it was a coffee explosion.

#47 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 22nd, 2016, 10:39 am

At least it wasn't you.

M. Sai

#48 Post by M. Sai » March 22nd, 2016, 11:25 am

Glenn - are you and Mel folding the seams of the filter before putting it into the cone? One thing I realized when I got my Bonavita: put the vertical folded seam in-line with the handle on the cone. These filters tend to sit higher in the cone on the side that has the folded seam, so that side goes in last. And if it does catch the underside of the drip head, it will just be pushed into the side of the cone - no grounds spillage.
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 22nd, 2016, 11:49 am

I have learned that approach Mike, thru diligent study after a coffee-coffee everywhere fiasco.

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#50 Post by Chris Foley » March 22nd, 2016, 3:21 pm

M. Sai wrote:Glenn - are you and Mel folding the seams of the filter before putting it into the cone?
Instructions are on the filter box. (I know, nobody reads directions

When we first bought ours, I went through some of the same issues but after a little learning curve I'm real happy with the simplicity and quality results.
My wife is happy leaving the entire process to me.
I don't understand why she just can't do it the same way I do.
Chris F.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”