Coffee maker recommendations?

love our percolator. Laugh away but it makes great coffee and all our guests even those who have expensive machines tell us so.

article in todayā€™s NY Times about making the best cup of morning coffeeā€¦mentions both Bonavita and Technivorm, among others.

Nothing startlingly new in the article, though some nice pointers about beans, grinders, etc.

Nice to hear Bonavita stands by its products. Technivorm, Iā€™ve found over the years, is a pain to deal withā€¦and has been quite defensive.

Itā€™s funny Stuart, they talk about a new Chemex brewer in there, and thatā€™s exactly what I use with my Technivorm now - the Chemex pot I have is a perfect fit.

I disagree a bit with what they say about grinders. I have a Baratza Virtuoso now (newer burr design), have had many others, and itā€™s barely decentā€¦still doesnā€™t approach what you get from a Ditting from a shop, too much grind variation.

like everything (almost) lots of tradeoffsā€¦freshness for regularity of the grind here.

I love the aroma of freshly ground coffeeā€¦and experience it every morning with my Capresso. I like the coffee I make, and have been using the same blend for over a decade, and we never seem to get tired of it, which surprises both me and my wife.

I think many things in coffee making are not worth an extra effortā€¦as they are more theoretical than discernible.

You are right, one of many examples of diminishing returns. Although Alanā€™s siren song of roasting your own is very appealing, I move increasingly towards simplicity with my coffee prep.

Edit: wasnā€™t suggesting getting coffee ground in the shop, would like to have a Ditting grinder! Too much counter space though, and costs almost as much as a bottle of La Tache :slight_smile:.

After 10 years, my Technivorm finally crapped out. Bought a new KBT (other one had a glass pot, no ability to slow drip). Good stuff.

Iā€™m not really sure how ā€œappealingā€ it is. It adds lots of variables, including the beans and consistent blendingā€¦if you want something consistent, which I do. There are some things in the kitchen Iā€™ve decided arenā€™t worth the effort for various reasonsā€¦doing from scratchā€¦and some things that are. Iā€™m not sure home-roasting would be worth the effortsā€¦but Iā€™ve never tasted the efforts, soā€¦I only question it, not dismiss it. And, thenā€¦iā€™ve found that fresh-roasted beans need to ā€œcureā€ a bit, tooā€¦soā€¦another complicating factor to deal with.

Iā€™m just now into using stones to sharpen knivesā€¦and am not sure it is worth the effort, vis a vis going to a place that sharpens knives.

It is hard to hate an inanimate object but if this was a dude Iā€™d have smacked him real hard already. We truly hate our coffeemaker for legit reasons, it is not just prejudice.
BV1800_detail.jpg

You gotta get the Bonavita with Melitta thermal carafe.

Glennā€¦can you elaborateā€¦why do you ā€œhateā€ itā€¦?

Does it make good coffee?

Curiousā€¦as , if thereā€™s one without a glass carafe, thatā€™s what I would buy with todayā€™s choices. (No need to spend the extra on Technivorm).

Design: #4 paper filters barely fit in the plastic receptacle and you best have the grounds perfectly situated, balanced and low, when you place carafe and filled receptacle back into coffee maker. There is a NASA level of space tolerance present when you do this, any variance and the edge of the paper filter will catch and itā€™s coffee-coffee everywhere. Also the plastic receptacle has one tiny egress into the carafe, get grounds or detritus or calcification in here and itā€™s coffee-coffee everywhere.

Additionally, and this is super weird, once poured out of carafe and into cup the made coffee cools down very rapidly. I have not performed thermometer experiments to see if data supports our anecdotal experience.

Doesnā€™t sound like funā€¦i wonder if a gold filter would rectify?

Re: temperatureā€¦people are looking for different tempsā€¦and have different tolerances. I want mine to cool down quickly. My wife puts heated water in her mug first. Well-matched couple.

The OXO 9 cup coffee maker has been absolutely terrific for us. It reproducibly makes a perfect cup of coffee at the right temperature.

[wow.gif]

I guess I donā€™t hate that.
My simple routine is successful every morning. [whistle.gif]

Our Bonavita 1900TS is fabulous and STUPID easy to use. I think they improved things a lot from the model you have, Glenn. Itā€™s crazy to me to hear you are having such issues!

This is the model we have: http://bonavitaworld.com/products/8-cup-coffee-brewer-stainless-steel-lined-thermal-carafe

I wish we had gone for the thermal carafe but there was some report somewhere about this cracking and exploding/blowing-up so wife insisted on the glass one. I am guessing the thermal carafe doesnā€™t have the filter/showerhead issues we have witnessed.

They couldnā€™t brainstorm a better name for that part than showerhead?

Glenn, I would touch base with Bonavita. Just tell them you hate the carafe and even tell them your disappointment in the whole model. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if they sent you a new machine.

And, tell em you talk a lotā€¦on bulletin boards. I agree with Michaelā€¦worth a try. Why be unhappy about this?

I did not contact Bonavita but did read their bulletin boards linked here. There was a post there about how taking the model I have apart and dishwashing all the parts makes a real difference in performance, so despite my rigid skepticism we did this and lo and behold coffee is way better! Shockingly it seems to stay warmer longer too but I wish I had done thermometer testing so I could present data here.

How I wish I had known about the dishwasher solution! I will report if #4 filter ever gets folded over by the lip of the ā€œshowerheadā€ again but so far smooth sailing.

Dishwashing our way to better coffee.

I like this as well.

OT: the old coffee I used to like is not good with the high brewing temp of the Moccamaster. If you or other fans have a favorite bean or style that works well with this, Iā€™d like your input. Still searching for an optimal bean match for the system. Thanks