Coffee maker recommendations?

Tipping the carafe a little as you slide it under the head should be all it takes to prevent the filter from getting caught and folding over.
A Melitta thermal carafe is available on Amazon, comes with the plastic cone.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080J2N8A?keywords=melitta%20thermal%20carafe&qid=1457547755&ref_=sr_1_1_a_it&sr=8-1

So no paper filters Chris?

Very interesting Glenn!

I also find that if I just run some hot water from my tap into the thermos/kettle just before brewing, it tends to stay hotter longer. That being said, I usually drink most of what I brew, or pour it into a to-go cup before it has a chance to get cold.

They sell the carafe as a pour thru coffee maker, not a replacement pot.
So its the same cone that came with your coffee maker.

I usually use the brown paper filters, but grabbed a box of the white by mistake last time I bought them.
My dad says the paper absorbs some of the oil, therefore reducing LDL consumption versus a metal filter.

After 2 hours the coffee is still plenty hot.
At night Iā€™ve reheated coffee left in the pot all day - tastes just as good as in the am.

Coffee, coffee everywhere this AM. Wife didnā€™t check the single, small caliber egress of the plastic filter-holder for patency. A few grimes got in there and it was a coffee explosion.

At least it wasnā€™t you.

Glenn - are you and Mel folding the seams of the filter before putting it into the cone? One thing I realized when I got my Bonavita: put the vertical folded seam in-line with the handle on the cone. These filters tend to sit higher in the cone on the side that has the folded seam, so that side goes in last. And if it does catch the underside of the drip head, it will just be pushed into the side of the cone - no grounds spillage.

I have learned that approach Mike, thru diligent study after a coffee-coffee everywhere fiasco.

Instructions are on the filter box. (I know, nobody reads directions

When we first bought ours, I went through some of the same issues but after a little learning curve Iā€™m real happy with the simplicity and quality results.
My wife is happy leaving the entire process to me.
I donā€™t understand why she just canā€™t do it the same way I do.

I have the Bonavita at work, and use it everyday. i fold over the filter as instructed and have never had coffee go anywhere, other than the carafeā€¦ i do need to invest in a thermal carafe though.

I could not tell a difference between this and a Technivorm Moccamaster in terms of quality, but I have heard that the techni has reliability problems.

reliability?? what does that mean/do you mean?

Never had any issues with our 5+ yr old Technivorm, nor have I heard of reliability issues in the press.

I dislike several things about the Technivorm Iā€™ve had for a dozen years or soā€¦including the price and customer service, butā€¦donā€™t understand a problem with ā€œreliabilityā€. Itā€™s a tank.

If I needed a new machine, I wouldnā€™t buy anotherā€¦probably a Bonavita thermal, butā€¦

I honestly do not remember. I purchased the bonavita over a year ago. my experience had been with the techni that a local wine shop used to make employee coffee. i thought the coffee was impressive for drip, and did some online research to see if anything else compared in quality. I was swayed towards the bonavita due to what i read on some coffee blogs. it seems members of this forum have had a different experience.

For those of you with a Bonavita with the thermal carafe, how do you clean it? Weā€™ve had ours for a few months and overall love it (none of the issues Glenn reports, but ours takes a different kind of filter). But I find the carafe very hard to clean. First of all, if I leave coffee in it for half the day (which is the point of a thermal carafe, isnā€™t it?), it gets stained and smells like stale coffee no matter how I clean it. But perhaps more annoying, itā€™s impossible to pour out the last little bit of liquid. The lip of the plastic part catches the water so even if the carafe is totally upside down, not all the water comes out. so after I wash it, thereā€™s always a little puddle of water sitting in the bottom. Gross.

Is there some trick Iā€™m missing?

I just rub my fingers around inside on the glass near the top while rinsing it with hot water.
Any residue seems to wipe off the glass easily, so a paper tower rubbed around the inside after a rinse should take care of the stains and get rid of the final teaspoonful that never pours out.

Sean I agree with you. Iā€™d mentioned cleaning and thermal carafes earlier. Glass gets nicely clean on its own in the dishwasher.

JoeGlo to clean carafe

denture cleaners are what I use on my wine carafes and on my coffee carafes. (I use Rite Aid generic ones.)

One think I havenā€™t liked about the technivorm thermal container is that its lip has ā€œpapercutā€ me and my wife, and ā€¦since I drain it upside down in a dish rack to dry itā€¦the lip actually separated from the rest of the carafe. Technivorm denied a problem with the sharp edges (maybe it was a limited batch of them; I donā€™t know) and seemed totally uninterested in the ā€œseparationā€ issue from draining upside downā€¦telling me I could buy a new one for like $80. I glued it back on insteadā€¦and it has held, though Iā€™ve reglued it, too , after the first time.

Thatā€™s my complaint about Technivorm customer serviceā€¦indifference and denial.