Coffee maker recommendations?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Stan Y.

#101 Post by Stan Y. » November 6th, 2016, 5:42 am

SeanHarding wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:JoeGlo to clean carafe
Thanks for this recommendation. I bought some JoeGlo and it worked wonders.
+1, thanks guys.

On a related note, a few weeks ago I saw that the 5-cup Bonavita only cost $80 on Amazon and decided to pick one up. Excellent coffee maker, especially now that I can keep the thermal carafe clean. Makes better coffee than my many-years-old Technivorm, though to be fair I need to give that one more go at an extreme cleaning.

Like you guys said, the Bonavita thermal pot is a joke - can't empty it completely; difficult to clean; funky lid, which is impossible to keep clean without disassembly, and since we drink immediately I've simply removed the mechanism and leave it off.
S. Y @ t € s

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by MBerto » November 6th, 2016, 7:24 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Our package arrived from Bonativa, a new carafe and plastic lid...
image.jpeg
Maybe your machine wouldn't break if you'd stop putting crayons in it. There's yer problem!
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

M Hudson

#103 Post by M Hudson » November 7th, 2016, 2:50 pm

I have a brehmor brazen plus and a technivorm. I have been using them side by side now for several months since I brought the brehmor home from the office.

I honesty cannot tell the difference. I like the thermal carafe a bit better on the brehmor but the technivorm stays hot longer.

My very favorite is pour over which due to time is a weekend only brew method.
M@rk
Actions Matter

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#104 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 8th, 2016, 10:12 am

aren't both of them "pour over"...just done automatically?

Evan Pontoriero

#105 Post by Evan Pontoriero » November 8th, 2016, 10:20 am

For all you coffee and ID geeks, my old business partner(the one I was talking about in the Jerk Chicken Recipe thread) has some fancy grinding tech here.

http://lynweber.com/store/
Fogline Vineyards
Petaluma Gap

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 8th, 2016, 10:28 am

MBerto wrote:
Maybe your machine wouldn't break if you'd stop putting crayons in it. There's yer problem!
Every single one of those crayons has been broken or lost too!!!
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

M Hudson

#107 Post by M Hudson » November 9th, 2016, 10:46 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:aren't both of them "pour over"...just done automatically?

I suppose, but I like to fool myself into believing my pouring the water over and making sure every little ground is wet for four minutes makes a difference :)
M@rk
Actions Matter

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 9th, 2016, 11:57 am

M Hudson wrote:
Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:aren't both of them "pour over"...just done automatically?
I need to post a pic of my new coffee machine. Until air freight gets here, I'm using a Starbucks thermal cup with a filter filled with Illy grounds... and my wife's hairband tying the filter down so I can pour-over without he filter dropping into the cup. #MacGyver

I swear, I'm bringing home bags of beans on my next trip back to the US.

I suppose, but I like to fool myself into believing my pouring the water over and making sure every little ground is wet for four minutes makes a difference :)
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

#109 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 9th, 2016, 2:02 pm

M Hudson wrote:

well with my Technivorm (and Newco) I allow the grinds to soak for a couple of minutes every time....though I don't know the optimum time.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by alan weinberg » November 9th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:
M Hudson wrote:

well with my Technivorm (and Newco) I allow the grinds to soak for a couple of minutes every time....though I don't know the optimum time.
what are the theory and practice for this technique? Why?

M Hudson

#111 Post by M Hudson » November 9th, 2016, 3:35 pm

M@rk
Actions Matter

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by alan weinberg » November 10th, 2016, 8:40 am

thank you--insightful. So no stirring the grounds, huh?

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by John Morris » November 10th, 2016, 9:06 am

That's a great article.

A college friend at Berkeley in the 1970s told me that some guy behind the counter in a coffee store there told her to wet the grounds first when using a filter. I think of that every morning when I'm making coffee, and now I know the science!
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

M Hudson

#114 Post by M Hudson » November 10th, 2016, 10:09 am

I got the medium one so I can make a mug at a time. Its cheap and fun (for me) I get the water boiling and go check email, I come back take it off boil and by the time I get the grounds in the filter the temp is pretty good and I just pour with a timer. I have already figured out how many grams to use for my cup so I dont worry about weighting it anymore.
M@rk
Actions Matter

M. Sai

#115 Post by M. Sai » November 14th, 2016, 7:11 am

I've been having an odd issue with my Bonavita. Three or four times in the last few weeks I've gone through my usual routine. However, a minute or two after starting the coffee maker I notice that the filter basket is overflowing, with water and coffee grounds running down the sides of the coffee maker. The only fix is just move the entire operation to the sink, clean up and start over. Each time I check to make sure the basket isn't clogged, so the only two possibilities I've been able to come up with:
- Bad batch of Melitta filters that aren't flowing fast enough - I use the natural brown filters
- Bonavita is showing it's age and has started pushing water faster than the filter can handle. I purchased it right as they became available in the US, 4 or 5 years ago.

I've had this issue in the past on a sporadic basis - but I've never had so many overflows in rapid succession. Any ideas?
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

Al Osterheld

#116 Post by Al Osterheld » November 14th, 2016, 7:18 am

Might check whether the filter hole at the bottom of the basket is getting clogged. I'm not familiar with the Bonavita, but Technivorm can do that if some coffee grounds got outside the filter.

- Al

M. Sai

#117 Post by M. Sai » November 14th, 2016, 9:11 am

Thanks Al - yeah, I'm checking now every time before I start a pot. It's clear, but still overflowing...
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

M Hudson

#118 Post by M Hudson » November 14th, 2016, 11:11 am

Mike there has to be an "activator " that is not opening the drain type thing going on? I know on my Brehmor there is one that is activated by the pot below it and it has to be in just the right spot to make it work.
M@rk
Actions Matter

M. Sai

#119 Post by M. Sai » November 14th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Thanks Mark - the early Bonavita machines were pretty simple. The filter basket is a solid chunk of plastic - no moving parts. I'm thinking it has to be the filters and wondering if pre-soaking would help? I hate to just throw away the 25-ish filters that are still in the batch that I have.
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

M Hudson

#120 Post by M Hudson » November 15th, 2016, 10:34 am

Mike, only other thought, did you change your grind recently? Did the grinder "slip" a notch or two (not normal it would change finer but its my only other thought)
M@rk
Actions Matter

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by John Morris » November 15th, 2016, 11:33 am

M. Sai wrote:Thanks Mark - the early Bonavita machines were pretty simple. The filter basket is a solid chunk of plastic - no moving parts. I'm thinking it has to be the filters and wondering if pre-soaking would help? I hate to just throw away the 25-ish filters that are still in the batch that I have.
Isn't there some kind of valve to keep coffee from flowing out when there's not pot underneath? I think that's what Mark's talking about.

I've had that overflow problem occasionally with cheap drip coffee makers. A little wiggling of the pot or basket usually does the trick, opening up the valve.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

M. Sai

#122 Post by M. Sai » November 15th, 2016, 3:46 pm

All money spent on the Bonavita goes to the boiler (I assume) - basket to carfe is just like a pour-over, no valve, nothing to get in the way...which is why this is so puzzling. And yeah - I checked my grinder, still set to the same grind.

This morning I pre-wet the filter, watching to make sure the flow rate of water through filter and basket was acceptable before adding grounds and starting that machine. No problems. I think I'll continue that routine until a filter shows itself has not having a high enough flow rate. Otherwise it might be time for a new machine.
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by SeanHarding » November 15th, 2016, 8:16 pm

Bizarre. I've been using mine at least a couple of times a week for the past year, and I've never had that happen. I do always pre-wet the filter, though, to try to get rid of any "paper" flavor (no idea if it makes a difference, but it makes me feel better).

M. Sai

#124 Post by M. Sai » November 17th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Quick update - this morning I followed my new routine: Check to make sure port in bottom of basket is not obstructed, put filter in basket, run a small amount of water from the faucet into filter to check flow... And bingo, the water does not flow out of the filter at all - it just sits there for a few seconds and then starts to slowly drip. Filter gets replaced and same test performed - but this time flow is normal. Grounds are added and no overflow problems.

I thought Melitta filters were supposed to be hight quality...???

Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

PeterJ
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by PeterJ » November 17th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Sorry if it was covered here but I've been wondering if there are coffeemakers that make coffee in 'cup' measures that are 'real' cups. I've had a Cuisinart 12-cup for years and have always wondered why I have to brew "8 cups" to get just 2 mugs of coffee. Our mugs are admittedly on the large side but not ridiculously so. Is this just an artificial measurement thing (seems like an espresso cup equals one cup in this thing) or is it the machine??
Peter J@ckel

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by SeanHarding » November 17th, 2016, 6:55 pm

M. Sai wrote:
Are those the actual filters you use? Maybe you have a different machine than I do. Mine takes the basket filters, not cones. These are the ones I'm currently using:

M. Sai

#127 Post by M. Sai » November 17th, 2016, 9:02 pm

SeanHarding wrote: Are those the actual filters you use? Maybe you have a different machine than I do. Mine takes the basket filters, not cones. These are the ones I'm currently using:
Yeah - I have the first generation, almost 5 years old at this point:
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#128 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 17th, 2016, 9:15 pm

PeterJ wrote:Sorry if it was covered here but I've been wondering if there are coffeemakers that make coffee in 'cup' measures that are 'real' cups. I've had a Cuisinart 12-cup for years and have always wondered why I have to brew "8 cups" to get just 2 mugs of coffee. Our mugs are admittedly on the large side but not ridiculously so. Is this just an artificial measurement thing (seems like an espresso cup equals one cup in this thing) or is it the machine??
For some stupid reason, a 'cup' of coffee is 5 oz. As if the standard measurement system wasn't stupid enough, a cup can be 8oz or 5oz depending on the m-effing liquid in it
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

mgriffith

#129 Post by mgriffith » November 18th, 2016, 4:16 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
PeterJ wrote:Sorry if it was covered here but I've been wondering if there are coffeemakers that make coffee in 'cup' measures that are 'real' cups. I've had a Cuisinart 12-cup for years and have always wondered why I have to brew "8 cups" to get just 2 mugs of coffee. Our mugs are admittedly on the large side but not ridiculously so. Is this just an artificial measurement thing (seems like an espresso cup equals one cup in this thing) or is it the machine??
For some stupid reason, a 'cup' of coffee is 5 oz. As if the standard measurement system wasn't stupid enough, a cup can be 8oz or 5oz depending on the m-effing liquid in it[/quote

And now, let's completely melt brains with ounce/pound variances between Troy and Avoirdupois scales.

There is an old brain teaser that asks, "Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?" The answer given is that they weigh the same. But that is not actually true. Gold is measured in Troy weight which has 12 ounces to the pound, and each ounce is 5,760 grains. Feathers are measured in Avoirdupois weight which has 16 ounces to the pound, and each ounce is 7,000 grains. So in truth a pound of feathers is heavier than a pound of gold.

Gah! I need more coffee. My brain is leaking this morning! [pwn.gif]
"Creating a signature because I have to, not because I want to." - Malcom Griffith

M Hudson

#130 Post by M Hudson » November 18th, 2016, 2:21 pm

mgriffith wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
For some stupid reason, a 'cup' of coffee is 5 oz. As if the standard measurement system wasn't stupid enough, a cup can be 8oz or 5oz depending on the m-effing liquid in it[/quote

And now, let's completely melt brains with ounce/pound variances between Troy and Avoirdupois scales.

There is an old brain teaser that asks, "Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?" The answer given is that they weigh the same. But that is not actually true. Gold is measured in Troy weight which has 12 ounces to the pound, and each ounce is 5,760 grains. Feathers are measured in Avoirdupois weight which has 16 ounces to the pound, and each ounce is 7,000 grains. So in truth a pound of feathers is heavier than a pound of gold.

Malcom,

Step away from the Jeopardy screen :)
M@rk
Actions Matter

Stan Y.

#131 Post by Stan Y. » November 18th, 2016, 4:53 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
M. Sai wrote:Are those the actual filters you use? Maybe you have a different machine than I do. Mine takes the basket filters, not cones. These are the ones I'm currently using:
My 2nd generation 5 cup machine takes the cones (I use Filtropa not Melitta though) but the larger 2nd gen machine switched to basket filters. Interesting to me that the 2nd gen machine has a pre-wet option that I use.
S. Y @ t € s

#132 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 20th, 2016, 6:17 am

Isn't the "cup" of coffee measurement dependant on whether it's calibrated to the European "cup" vs. the US "cup"? And, at least with the Technivorm, it's calibrated to the European, smaller "cup". http://coffee.stackexchange.com/questio ... e-not-6-oz

that pre-wet option is a good one....very appealing; avoids extra "effort" on our part.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » November 22nd, 2016, 7:16 pm

M. Sai wrote:Quick update - this morning I followed my new routine: Check to make sure port in bottom of basket is not obstructed, put filter in basket, run a small amount of water from the faucet into filter to check flow... And bingo, the water does not flow out of the filter at all - it just sits there for a few seconds and then starts to slowly drip. Filter gets replaced and same test performed - but this time flow is normal. Grounds are added and no overflow problems.

Do you fold the filter first?
Have you descaled the machine?

M. Sai

#134 Post by M. Sai » December 23rd, 2016, 2:59 pm

For those looking to replace an old machine, Technivorm Moccamaster package for Costco members which includes a second thermal carafe. $299 - less than offerings from other retailers with only one Carafe... http://www.costco.com/Moccamaster-CDGT- ... 23404.html

Now, do I really need a second carafe??
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 25th, 2016, 12:23 am

Re: Technivorm - am using my US-bought machine in Paris. Takes 15 seconds to heat up and go through a full carafe (and it's super-heated water).

Guessing I'm going to need a new machine soon, but man it's fun making coffee :D
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

Matt Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by Matt Allen » December 27th, 2016, 10:37 am

Bought the OXO "9 cup" for my wife after doing way too much research for something that costs less than 200 bucks. The coffee tastes delicious to this "pour over" guy.

M. Sai

#137 Post by M. Sai » February 18th, 2017, 8:58 am

Update: after my aging Bonavita had the same overflow issue two days in a row, I finally broke down and ordered the Technivorm from Costco this morning. Given the double whammy of grad school and first baby on the way, I have to make sure my caffeine delivery system is reliable!
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

JIMCOH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by JIMCOH » February 19th, 2017, 5:34 am

M Hudson wrote:
mgriffith wrote: For some stupid reason, a 'cup' of coffee is 5 oz. As if the standard measurement system wasn't stupid enough, a cup can be 8oz or 5oz depending on the m-effing liquid in it[/quote

There is an old brain teaser that asks, "Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?" The answer given is that they weigh the same. But that is not actually true. Gold is measured in Troy weight which has 12 ounces to the pound, and each pound is 5,760 grains. Feathers are measured in Avoirdupois weight which has 16 ounces to the pound, and each pound is 7,000 grains. So in truth a pound of feathers is heavier than a pound of gold.

Malcom,

Step away from the Jeopardy screen :)
FIFY - my bold red. I could not help it, it has been bugging me since I first read it.
Jim Cohen

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 11th, 2017, 10:09 am

M. Sai wrote:Quick update - this morning I followed my new routine: Check to make sure port in bottom of basket is not obstructed, put filter in basket, run a small amount of water from the faucet into filter to check flow... And bingo, the water does not flow out of the filter at all - it just sits there for a few seconds and then starts to slowly drip. Filter gets replaced and same test performed - but this time flow is normal. Grounds are added and no overflow problems.

Just had another overflow disaster this AM. 15 minutes or longer to clean up all the grinds and crap. I did all anyone could do during prep short of the filter test to be certain this would not happen. I hate these filters or this Bonavita machine. Maybe I hate both?
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#140 Post by John O' » November 11th, 2017, 10:20 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:

Just had another overflow disaster this AM. 15 minutes or longer to clean up all the grinds and crap. I did all anyone could do during prep short of the filter test to be certain this would not happen. I hate these filters or this Bonavita machine. Maybe I hate both?
I've been using a metal filter in my Technivorm. No issues and no filters to buy.
O Sullivan

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by alan weinberg » November 11th, 2017, 11:56 am

I use Trader Joe’s #4 filters in my Moccamaster with no problems.

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#142 Post by Chris Foley » November 11th, 2017, 12:41 pm

I've never experienced the problems noted above with my Bonavita using brown Melitta filters.
I've also never pre-wetted the filter.
Most of the time I fill the 40 oz hopper with 44-45 oz of water and use 52g of coffee beans ground in my Krups grinder.
Chris F.

Patrick Keigan

#143 Post by Patrick Keigan » November 11th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Anyone into Pour Over's? I have been using a V60 for about 2 years now with great success, recently started playing with a Kalita Wave.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 12th, 2017, 6:09 am

I have PTSD and let Mel make coffee today. No explosions.

M. Sai

#145 Post by M. Sai » November 12th, 2017, 8:05 am

I'm coming to believe it's the Bonavita after they reach a certain age... The new Technivorm has been a dream for the last 6 months, zero issues with both the Technivorm filters that it came with and the Melitta filters.
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

Al Osterheld

#146 Post by Al Osterheld » November 12th, 2017, 9:40 am

Does the Bonavita brew more quickly? I'm wondering whether it puts water into the basket more quickly and generally brews with a nearly full basket, so more prone to overflowing if some filters or grinds are a little slower to allow the coffee through.

-Al

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#147 Post by SeanHarding » November 12th, 2017, 10:26 am

For the record, since my last post in this thread, I gave up on pre-wetting the filters because it seemed extraneous. I have noticed no difference in either the taste nor the propensity for overflow. We're just about two years in, and it's still working great. It seems like the flat-bottom filter model has fewer problems.

Magnus Solhjell

#148 Post by Magnus Solhjell » November 13th, 2017, 9:51 am

Patrick Keigan wrote:Anyone into Pour Over's? I have been using a V60 for about 2 years now with great success, recently started playing with a Kalita Wave.
I have a Kalita at home and a V60 at work. I find the Kalita to be more consistent and easy to get a good result, but that the V60 gets a better result when everything is done right. Come to think about it, I should probably swap and have the Kalita at work..

Patrick Keigan

#149 Post by Patrick Keigan » November 15th, 2017, 5:32 am

I have switched over to the Kalita for the past couple weeks. I am enjoying the cup, but I still think I need to do some work on getting things dialed in.

I have been doing:

24 Grams of Coffee
400 Grams of Water

Bloom with 60 Grams of Water for 30 seconds
Pour to 200 Grams by 1:00 wait until 1:10
Pour to 300 Grams by 1:30 wait until 1:40
Pour to 400 Grams by 2:00, hope that it finishes draining by 2:30

Any thoughts on what I should do differently?

Jeff Twersky

#150 Post by Jeff Twersky » November 15th, 2017, 6:09 am

Patrick Keigan wrote:I have switched over to the Kalita for the past couple weeks. I am enjoying the cup, but I still think I need to do some work on getting things dialed in.

I have been doing:

24 Grams of Coffee
400 Grams of Water

Bloom with 60 Grams of Water for 30 seconds
Pour to 200 Grams by 1:00 wait until 1:10
Pour to 300 Grams by 1:30 wait until 1:40
Pour to 400 Grams by 2:00, hope that it finishes draining by 2:30

Any thoughts on what I should do differently?
How fine are you grinding the beans? I brew for 3:00 to 3:30.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”