Coffee maker recommendations?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
ybarselah
Posts: 6182
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#201 Post by ybarselah » October 20th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 10:41 am
Do the orders always get fulfilled? There FAQs had something on “unsuccessful run” which I didn’t understand.

Either way, thanks for the tip! $70 less than Amazon.
not sure - i think some items have a minimum, but not sure where to find that info. also, great resource for high end headphones
Yaacov (ITB)

Christine Huang
Posts: 297
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 9:54 am
Location: NY

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#202 Post by Christine Huang » October 23rd, 2019, 8:42 am

Al Osterheld wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 8:35 pm
Yes, I think a hand grinder is the only compact option for something small and better than a chopper.

I've also been using a Moccamaster, one of the models with a thermal carafe. Amortized over the years I've used it, the extra cost seems pretty minor. Pour over is more time and effort than I want for morning coffee.

-Al
Hi Al!

I have the Thermal Carafe Model too. For a machine that is the best at brewing coffee, I have to say I was really disappointed that none of the designers/engineers thought to put a spout on the steel carafe lip. It's a huge design flaw! It doesn't pour cleanly. [swearing.gif]

User avatar
Al Osterheld
Posts: 6149
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#203 Post by Al Osterheld » October 23rd, 2019, 9:26 am

It is odd to not have a spout. But, keeps coffee hot without a hotplate.

-Al

Christine Huang
Posts: 297
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 9:54 am
Location: NY

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#204 Post by Christine Huang » October 23rd, 2019, 11:01 am

Yes, but I want perfection, Al!
Why can't I have perfection? [snort.gif]

User avatar
SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 679
Joined: November 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Location: South OC, CA & Franklin, TN
Contact:

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#205 Post by SeanHarding » October 23rd, 2019, 12:24 pm

I replaced the thermal carafe on my Bonavita with a glass one. The coffee obviously doesn't stay hot (nearly) as long, but it's a lot easier to pour from and clean, and I go through the coffee quickly, so it's an ok tradeoff for me.

Chris S p i k e s
Posts: 2951
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#206 Post by Chris S p i k e s » October 23rd, 2019, 1:03 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 8:42 am
Al Osterheld wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 8:35 pm
Yes, I think a hand grinder is the only compact option for something small and better than a chopper.

I've also been using a Moccamaster, one of the models with a thermal carafe. Amortized over the years I've used it, the extra cost seems pretty minor. Pour over is more time and effort than I want for morning coffee.

-Al
Hi Al!

I have the Thermal Carafe Model too. For a machine that is the best at brewing coffee, I have to say I was really disappointed that none of the designers/engineers thought to put a spout on the steel carafe lip. It's a huge design flaw! It doesn't pour cleanly. [swearing.gif]
I have replaced my original Thermal Carafe with an aftermarket brand. They are notorious for losing their vacuum seal and therefore a lot of the insulating properties. But, I never had much of an issue with the designed lip. It was sharp enough to stop the pour for me, so that wasn't a complaint, but it is kind of odd. I assume they designed it that way for aesthetics/coolness. For me, that is completely irrelevant. I just need high quality coffee production.

User avatar
Al Osterheld
Posts: 6149
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#207 Post by Al Osterheld » October 23rd, 2019, 5:14 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 11:01 am
Yes, but I want perfection, Al!
Why can't I have perfection? [snort.gif]
I never found it, so I became (somewhat) tolerant.

-Al

User avatar
Al Osterheld
Posts: 6149
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#208 Post by Al Osterheld » October 23rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

Mine has not lost its vacuum seal, that would be annoying.

-Al

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4856
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#209 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 24th, 2019, 6:46 am

SeanHarding wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 10:29 am
Anyone have recommendations for a decent quality, but COMPACT, grinder? I'm outfitting a second place which has a small kitchen. At my main house I have a Baratza grinder I like, but it's big. I'd like to find something quite a bit smaller for the new place, but I don't want to go back to the dark ages of a cheap blade grinder...
Have had a couple Capresso Infinity grinders over the years and have liked them.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... uctantgour
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

Steve Crawford
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#210 Post by Steve Crawford » November 1st, 2019, 2:26 pm

in the processing of upgrading my coffee gear- was using an old fresh roast roaster, kitchenaid grinder, and wife's old bunn drip brewer. ordered the gene cafe roaster which comes monday, baratza virtuoso plus which was delivered today, and the moccamaster CDT which I used today. CDT makes 60 ounces which is great for us. coffee was a lot stronger and certainly more flavorful than previous.

User avatar
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1708
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#211 Post by ClarkstonMark » November 1st, 2019, 3:11 pm

Steve Crawford wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 2:26 pm
in the processing of upgrading my coffee gear- was using an old fresh roast roaster, kitchenaid grinder, and wife's old bunn drip brewer. ordered the gene cafe roaster which comes monday, baratza virtuoso plus which was delivered today, and the moccamaster CDT which I used today. CDT makes 60 ounces which is great for us. coffee was a lot stronger and certainly more flavorful than previous.
that is what you call going all in [cheers.gif]
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12755
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#212 Post by alan weinberg » December 27th, 2019, 4:45 pm

lots of different Technivorm models—I just had to replace mine, got the CDT. Weird, I was just thinking what a great machine it was and it started making the coffee much less hot than it had—started to die. Jinxed myself. But I got about 6+ years.

User avatar
Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2902
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 5:21 pm
Location: University Park, MD

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#213 Post by Jay $$ Winton » December 27th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Once again, a percolator is the way to go. Filtered water and freshly ground beans. We sprinkle a bit of unsweetened chocolate on the grind as well.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12755
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#214 Post by alan weinberg » December 31st, 2019, 10:06 pm

Just got the Technivorm Moccamaster CDT grand—makes 15 cups instead of 10. I like it but wish the water holder had marks on it other than just at the 15 cup (60 oz) level. There are so many models that it’s crazy.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3049
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#215 Post by Barry L i p t o n » December 31st, 2019, 11:54 pm

ybarselah wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 7:16 am
excellent deal on the moccamaster on drop fyi; not at all cheap, but damn impressive machine:

https://drop.com/buy/technivorm-moccama ... rer=KHHQTR
Very happy with it and thanks for the tip!, got a great deal on it.

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1109
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#216 Post by Michael O'Brien » January 1st, 2020, 9:54 am

We have had a basic black Moccamater KBT741 with thermal carafe. We love it. When it dies, we will replace it with another one.
PlanoWino

User avatar
Al Osterheld
Posts: 6149
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#217 Post by Al Osterheld » January 1st, 2020, 10:16 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 9:54 am
We have had a basic black Moccamater KBT741 with thermal carafe. We love it. When it dies, we will replace it with another one.
That's also the model I have, especially like the thermal carafe.

-Al

Steve Crawford
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#218 Post by Steve Crawford » January 3rd, 2020, 6:04 am

alan weinberg wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 10:06 pm
Just got the Technivorm Moccamaster CDT grand—makes 15 cups instead of 10. I like it but wish the water holder had marks on it other than just at the 15 cup (60 oz) level. There are so many models that it’s crazy.
i've had this for a little while now, overall very satisfied thus far. besides the markings, what are your thoughts on it? how much grounds (grams) do you brew with?

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12755
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#219 Post by alan weinberg » January 3rd, 2020, 6:57 am

Steve Crawford wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 6:04 am
alan weinberg wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 10:06 pm
Just got the Technivorm Moccamaster CDT grand—makes 15 cups instead of 10. I like it but wish the water holder had marks on it other than just at the 15 cup (60 oz) level. There are so many models that it’s crazy.
i've had this for a little while now, overall very satisfied thus far. besides the markings, what are your thoughts on it? how much grounds (grams) do you brew with?
I like it, or will like it, when the kids and their SOs visit, as it makes 15 cups. I don’t like (with any Technivorm) the inability of the carafe to keep coffee hot long enough, the difficulty in finding appropriate size filters, and having to pull that little handle to stop flow when removing a cup during brewing. I like the speed and heat of brewing, the ease of replacement parts, and the quality of Technivorm. I don’t weigh the coffee but use a heaping tsp for each cup, plus one.

Steve Crawford
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#220 Post by Steve Crawford » January 3rd, 2020, 11:29 am

yea lots of pros, some cons.
i'll recheck the weight I do, but I think I have it timed for 100grams. it'll be interesting to compare.

User avatar
Sarah Duke
Posts: 6
Joined: March 15th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#221 Post by Sarah Duke » March 23rd, 2020, 6:50 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 12:24 pm
I replaced the thermal carafe on my Bonavita with a glass one. The coffee obviously doesn't stay hot (nearly) as long, but it's a lot easier to pour from and clean, and I go through the coffee quickly, so it's an ok tradeoff for me.
Is it still work fine? I'm thinking about ordering one because I won't go to coffee shops in the near future.
Last edited by Sarah Duke on March 24th, 2020, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 679
Joined: November 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Location: South OC, CA & Franklin, TN
Contact:

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#222 Post by SeanHarding » March 23rd, 2020, 9:43 pm

Sarah Duke wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 6:50 pm
Is it still work fine? I'm thinking about ordering one because I won't go to coffee shops in the near future.
Yes, I’m still happy with it. The glass carafe is a lot better for me if I’m going to drink all the coffee relatively quickly. The thermal carafe is better for drinking over a long period of time, but it’s a pain to clean.

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3781
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#223 Post by Scott G r u n e r » March 27th, 2020, 9:31 am

Has anyone mentioned Technivorm Moccamaster yet? Now 6+ years and still happy with it.
//Cynic

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12755
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#224 Post by alan weinberg » March 27th, 2020, 11:01 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 9:31 am
Has anyone mentioned Technivorm Moccamaster yet? Now 6+ years and still happy with it.
you kidding? More recs on this thread than anything.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16889
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#225 Post by David K o l i n » March 27th, 2020, 11:34 am

My 10+ year old Moccamaster died this am. $310 for a replacement is a bit of a shock, but I may have to suck it up

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3781
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#226 Post by Scott G r u n e r » March 27th, 2020, 12:10 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 11:01 am
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 9:31 am
Has anyone mentioned Technivorm Moccamaster yet? Now 6+ years and still happy with it.
you kidding? More recs on this thread than anything.
Yes. Kidding. :) I recommended it myself about 2 years ago on this thread.
//Cynic

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12755
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#227 Post by alan weinberg » March 27th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 12:10 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 11:01 am
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 9:31 am
Has anyone mentioned Technivorm Moccamaster yet? Now 6+ years and still happy with it.
you kidding? More recs on this thread than anything.
Yes. Kidding. :) I recommended it myself about 2 years ago on this thread.
funny that mine died after touting its greatness. Didn’t hear the water much. New one is great

User avatar
Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5326
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 9:11 am
Location: Always on LSD, except when traveling

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#228 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » April 1st, 2020, 12:57 pm

Our 20-year old Krups POC died 5 weeks ago, and we are very happy to have replaced it with this — Cuisinart® 12-Cup Thermal Coffee Maker

Coffee tastes clean, fresh, and in the 64-oz. thermal carafe, retains heat (starts out much hotter than the old thermal carafe) and flavor for about 4.65 hours [snort.gif] . The Krups' brew lasted about 2 hours before it became iffy. The sole problem is that it is slightly annoying to pour water into the canister. I figure at $129.95 less 20% at BB&B, it's a no-brainer.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3049
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#229 Post by Barry L i p t o n » April 1st, 2020, 3:21 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 6:57 am
Steve Crawford wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 6:04 am
alan weinberg wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 10:06 pm
Just got the Technivorm Moccamaster CDT grand—makes 15 cups instead of 10. I like it but wish the water holder had marks on it other than just at the 15 cup (60 oz) level. There are so many models that it’s crazy.
i've had this for a little while now, overall very satisfied thus far. besides the markings, what are your thoughts on it? how much grounds (grams) do you brew with?
I like it, or will like it, when the kids and their SOs visit, as it makes 15 cups. I don’t like (with any Technivorm) the inability of the carafe to keep coffee hot long enough, the difficulty in finding appropriate size filters, and having to pull that little handle to stop flow when removing a cup during brewing. I like the speed and heat of brewing, the ease of replacement parts, and the quality of Technivorm. I don’t weigh the coffee but use a heaping tsp for each cup, plus one.
What's the downside of using a metal mesh filter that's reusable? I have both, don't bother with the paper anymore.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6155
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#230 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 1st, 2020, 8:23 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 3:21 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 6:57 am
Steve Crawford wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 6:04 am


i've had this for a little while now, overall very satisfied thus far. besides the markings, what are your thoughts on it? how much grounds (grams) do you brew with?
I like it, or will like it, when the kids and their SOs visit, as it makes 15 cups. I don’t like (with any Technivorm) the inability of the carafe to keep coffee hot long enough, the difficulty in finding appropriate size filters, and having to pull that little handle to stop flow when removing a cup during brewing. I like the speed and heat of brewing, the ease of replacement parts, and the quality of Technivorm. I don’t weigh the coffee but use a heaping tsp for each cup, plus one.
What's the downside of using a metal mesh filter that's reusable? I have both, don't bother with the paper anymore.
There’s some evidence that a paper filter cuts down on cholesterol. If you don’t have a cholesterol problem or have experienced an increase in test results it’s not a problem.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16889
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#231 Post by David K o l i n » April 1st, 2020, 8:55 pm

David K o l i n wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 11:34 am
My 10+ year old Moccamaster died this am. $310 for a replacement is a bit of a shock, but I may have to suck it up
Got my replacement Moccamaster today. Great to have coffee again.

Minor design changes. You think they would have fixed the carafe’s pouring ability by now

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3049
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#232 Post by Barry L i p t o n » April 1st, 2020, 11:39 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 8:23 pm
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 3:21 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 6:57 am
I like it, or will like it, when the kids and their SOs visit, as it makes 15 cups. I don’t like (with any Technivorm) the inability of the carafe to keep coffee hot long enough, the difficulty in finding appropriate size filters, and having to pull that little handle to stop flow when removing a cup during brewing. I like the speed and heat of brewing, the ease of replacement parts, and the quality of Technivorm. I don’t weigh the coffee but use a heaping tsp for each cup, plus one.
What's the downside of using a metal mesh filter that's reusable? I have both, don't bother with the paper anymore.
There’s some evidence that a paper filter cuts down on cholesterol. If you don’t have a cholesterol problem or have experienced an increase in test results it’s not a problem.
Paper it is!

User avatar
John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 831
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 4:24 am
Location: Skaneateles, NY

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#233 Post by John O' » April 2nd, 2020, 3:49 am

Love my Moccamaster. Don't love the Jackson Pollock painting on the bottom of the thermal carafe. Any cleaning tips?
O Sullivan

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow
Posts: 6399
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#234 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » April 5th, 2020, 8:47 am

David K o l i n wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 8:55 pm
David K o l i n wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 11:34 am
My 10+ year old Moccamaster died this am. $310 for a replacement is a bit of a shock, but I may have to suck it up
Got my replacement Moccamaster today. Great to have coffee again.

Minor design changes. You think they would have fixed the carafe’s pouring ability by now

Same thermal model since January 2010....daily use....gone through about 7 grinders in that period....and only a replacement thermal pot...good value, I guess...only wish there were a pause function so that could be done automatically after the grinds are wetted.

ybarselah
Posts: 6182
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#235 Post by ybarselah » April 11th, 2020, 10:37 am

technivorm mochamaster back on drop for $229...

https://drop.com/buy/technivorm-moccama ... rer=KHHQTR
Yaacov (ITB)

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12755
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#236 Post by alan weinberg » April 11th, 2020, 12:41 pm

ybarselah wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 10:37 am
technivorm mochamaster back on drop for $229...

https://drop.com/buy/technivorm-moccama ... rer=KHHQTR
cool that it has a hot plate but wish for a thermal carafe.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6155
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#237 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 11th, 2020, 5:39 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 12:41 pm
ybarselah wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 10:37 am
technivorm mochamaster back on drop for $229...

https://drop.com/buy/technivorm-moccama ... rer=KHHQTR
cool that it has a hot plate but wish for a thermal carafe.
Ditto

User avatar
John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 831
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 4:24 am
Location: Skaneateles, NY

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#238 Post by John O' » April 12th, 2020, 4:27 am

John O' wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 3:49 am
Love my Moccamaster. Don't love the Jackson Pollock painting on the bottom of the thermal carafe. Any cleaning tips?
Researched and picked up Urnex TABZ F61 tablets. EZ-peezy. Took 5 tablets to get the carafe clean. Pretty gross watching the brown liquid our out each time. Now it looks great.
O Sullivan

User avatar
John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 831
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 4:24 am
Location: Skaneateles, NY

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#239 Post by John O' » April 12th, 2020, 4:27 am

John O' wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 4:27 am
John O' wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 3:49 am
Love my Moccamaster. Don't love the Jackson Pollock painting on the bottom of the thermal carafe. Any cleaning tips?
Researched and picked up Urnex TABZ F61 tablets. EZ-peezy. Took 5 tablets to get the carafe clean. Pretty gross watching the brown liquid pour out each time. Now it looks great.
O Sullivan

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2987
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#240 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 12th, 2020, 4:32 am

alan weinberg wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 12:41 pm
ybarselah wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 10:37 am
technivorm mochamaster back on drop for $229...

https://drop.com/buy/technivorm-moccama ... rer=KHHQTR
cool that it has a hot plate but wish for a thermal carafe.
This is a disappointing change. I hate hot plates on coffee makers - it always makes the coffee taste burned. The thermal carafe is one of my favorite things about my old technivorm. I would not buy this new model if my old one dies.

User avatar
Stan Y.
Posts: 617
Joined: March 13th, 2013, 4:47 am

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#241 Post by Stan Y. » April 12th, 2020, 7:03 am

I prefer a glass carafe that can be put in the dishwasher. No matter what I wash with, I am eventually unable to sufficiently clean thermal carafes by hand. But I agree 100% with not wanting a hot plate - we drink what we make immediately. I've even considered buying my next coffee maker with glass and a hot plate, then trying to disconnect the hot plate. I've wondered why serious makers like Technivorm don't add a switch for this.
S. Y @ t € s

User avatar
Brent C l a y t o n
Posts: 5473
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:21 am
Location: Elmhurst, NY
Contact:

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#242 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » April 12th, 2020, 8:58 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 4:32 am
alan weinberg wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 12:41 pm
ybarselah wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 10:37 am
technivorm mochamaster back on drop for $229...

https://drop.com/buy/technivorm-moccama ... rer=KHHQTR
cool that it has a hot plate but wish for a thermal carafe.
This is a disappointing change. I hate hot plates on coffee makers - it always makes the coffee taste burned. The thermal carafe is one of my favorite things about my old technivorm. I would not buy this new model if my old one dies.
Notice the two switches? You can turn the hot plate on/off separately from the main power/brew switch. If you don't like the hot plate you don't have to use it...
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

User avatar
Stan Y.
Posts: 617
Joined: March 13th, 2013, 4:47 am

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#243 Post by Stan Y. » April 12th, 2020, 10:08 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 8:58 am
Notice the two switches? You can turn the hot plate on/off separately from the main power/brew switch. If you don't like the hot plate you don't have to use it...
This is a nit but it looks to me like it's high/low not on/off, at least on the one on drop discussed here (half circle / filled circle icon). So half-way to what I am looking for :-).
S. Y @ t € s

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2987
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#244 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 12th, 2020, 10:58 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 8:58 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 4:32 am
alan weinberg wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 12:41 pm
cool that it has a hot plate but wish for a thermal carafe.
This is a disappointing change. I hate hot plates on coffee makers - it always makes the coffee taste burned. The thermal carafe is one of my favorite things about my old technivorm. I would not buy this new model if my old one dies.
Notice the two switches? You can turn the hot plate on/off separately from the main power/brew switch. If you don't like the hot plate you don't have to use it...
But it still doesn't have a thermal carafe.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16889
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#245 Post by David K o l i n » April 12th, 2020, 11:02 am

John O' wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 4:27 am
John O' wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 3:49 am
Love my Moccamaster. Don't love the Jackson Pollock painting on the bottom of the thermal carafe. Any cleaning tips?
Researched and picked up Urnex TABZ F61 tablets. EZ-peezy. Took 5 tablets to get the carafe clean. Pretty gross watching the brown liquid our out each time. Now it looks great.

Dip-It powder works well also

User avatar
Al Osterheld
Posts: 6149
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#246 Post by Al Osterheld » April 12th, 2020, 11:13 am

Technivorm makes a version with a thermal carafe, it just isn't the base model that tends to show up on drop.

-Al

User avatar
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 989
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#247 Post by JDavisRoby » April 12th, 2020, 11:38 am

Have owned the same Technivorm since 2012. Thermal carafe. Love it. I do two runs of Urnex every 3-4 months to keep the water from scaling and keep the carafe stain free.
Joshu@

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2987
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#248 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 12th, 2020, 11:42 am

Al Osterheld wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 11:13 am
Technivorm makes a version with a thermal carafe, it just isn't the base model that tends to show up on drop.

-Al
I am very relieved to hear this. :) Not that mine shows any signs of quitting soon.

User avatar
Al Osterheld
Posts: 6149
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay

Re: Coffee maker recommendations?

#249 Post by Al Osterheld » April 12th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Mine, either! :-)

-Al

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”