Post your Unpopular Food Opinion

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by MBerto » January 16th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Craig G wrote:
Colby Scott wrote:Sriracha does not taste good. Almost every other hot sauce is better.
Ha, I totally agree with this! I don't get Sriracha at all.
This is an opinion thread, so I'm not trying to make you like it, but I will suggest the Sriracha is at least unique as compared the ocean of vinegar based hot sauces out there (and yes I realize it's also vinegar based). The texture and less aggressive heat make it much more versatile than many others. I add it to a lot of acidic/savory foods in small quantities and think it really gives things a je ne sais quoi with minimal heat - I've used it in braising liquids, hummus, tomato based sauces, etc. I don't think that would work nearly as well with Tabasco.
Last edited by MBerto on January 16th, 2017, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by MBerto » January 16th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Betty C wrote:Chewy bacon sucks. It must be crispy.
The best Pepperidge Farm cookie is the double chocolate Milano.
Jamon Iberico de bellota is better than prosciutto.
Kraft Parmesan cheese in a can is disgusting.
Which of these is the unpopular?
M@TT Bert0 lat us

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by MBerto » January 16th, 2017, 6:53 pm

OK my turn:

Regional food specialization doesn't exist/is wildly overstated. NY Pizza, Texas Brisket, KC/STL Ribs, Chicago Dogs, LA tacos, SF sourdough. This isn't to say these foods aren't good (they're great) but excellent versions of them exist worldwide.

Exception would be where proximity provides a demonstrably difference: Maine lobster, PacNW seafood, but even then, airplanes can get it to the Midwest pretty quickly.

Also: White flour produces the best bread. Perhaps not the healthiest bread, but the best tasting.
M@TT Bert0 lat us

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by AlexS » January 16th, 2017, 6:57 pm

MBerto wrote:
Craig G wrote:
Colby Scott wrote:Sriracha does not taste good. Almost every other hot sauce is better.
This is an opinion thread, so I'm not trying to make you like it, but I will suggest the Sriracha is at least unique as compared the ocean of vinegar based hot sauces out there (and yes I realize it's also vinegar based). The texture and less aggressive heat make it much more versatile than many others. I add it to a lot of acidic/savory foods in small quantities and think it really gives things a je ne sais quoi with minimal heat - I've used it in braising liquids, hummus, tomato based sauces, etc. I don't think that would work nearly as well with Tabasco.
Yup.

It's the Heinz Ketchup of hot sauce.
s t e w @ r t

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 16th, 2017, 7:04 pm

MBerto wrote:
MitchTallan wrote:7) If you are over 40, still read Cooks Illustrated, and every other foodie word out of your mouth is about what you f#*king sous-vide-d last night, stay the f#*k away from me. Or better yet, try sous-vide-ing your pecker.
Sarah you over 40?

Matt, why are you going out of your way to prolong an unpleasant exchange from a separate thread? This post is just gratuitous nastiness.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Nolan E

#56 Post by Nolan E » January 16th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
MBerto wrote:
MitchTallan wrote:7) If you are over 40, still read Cooks Illustrated, and every other foodie word out of your mouth is about what you f#*king sous-vide-d last night, stay the f#*k away from me. Or better yet, try sous-vide-ing your pecker.
Sarah you over 40?

Matt, why are you going out of your way to prolong an unpleasant exchange from a separate thread? This post is just gratuitous nastiness.
Read the HiFi thread.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by MBerto » January 16th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
MBerto wrote:
Sarah you over 40?

A) I replied to several posts simultaneously in the other thread, with the only possible "insult" there being that I called ALL the posts "pedantic". For reasons known only to you, you've decided this is a personal insult. This couldn't be further from the truth, but this is also the internet, and I take nothing on it all that seriousily. So I harbor no ill will, but also didn't pay it much mind.

B) You posted here that you think most things are better SV'd. This post, of course, is in opposition to that notion (at least nominally; Mitch's entire post was more of an abstract rant about perceived ills and was rather light and vague on any sort of unpopular opinions). I am trying to gin up a conversation, but admittedly it was inelegant.
M@TT Bert0 lat us

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by AlexS » January 16th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Yo bro, Sarah actually posted that most things aren't better SV'd:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Most things are not better when cooked sous vide than when cooked with "traditional" techniques.
s t e w @ r t

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 16th, 2017, 7:57 pm

MBerto wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

A) I replied to several posts simultaneously in the other thread, with the only possible "insult" there being that I called ALL the posts "pedantic". For reasons known only to you, you've decided this is a personal insult. This couldn't be further from the truth, but this is also the internet, and I take nothing on it all that seriousily. So I harbor no ill will, but also didn't pay it much mind.

B) You posted here that you think most things are better SV'd. This post, of course, is in opposition to that notion (at least nominally; Mitch's entire post was more of an abstract rant about perceived ills and was rather light and vague on any sort of unpopular opinions). I am trying to gin up a conversation, but admittedly it was inelegant.
Well, first of all, I didn't say that, just as Alex pointed out. I've posted many times on this board that I dislike the texture of SV meat. I guess it makes a little more sense if you misread my post that way. I am sure you can find someone who does actually hold the opinion you want to argue against, though.

I didn't in fact think I was the only butt of your derogatory term. The word "pedantic" was directed against the writers themselves, their tone and method of expression, not the substance of their opinion - thus personal, though not, you are correct, individual. I regret that my word choice didn't function exactly as I inteded it.

That aside, associating me both personally and individually by name with a description meant to evoke a very obnoxious and objectionable group of people (to Mitch anyway), did seem pretty nasty.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Craig G » January 16th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Betty C wrote:Kraft Parmesan cheese in a can is disgusting.
Really going out on a limb there, eh?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Colby Scott

#61 Post by Colby Scott » January 16th, 2017, 8:08 pm

MBerto wrote:The texture and less aggressive heat make it much more versatile than many others. I add it to a lot of acidic/savory foods in small quantities and think it really gives things a je ne sais quoi with minimal heat - I've used it in braising liquids, hummus, tomato based sauces, etc.
Thank you. Now I know how to get rid of this bottle...

champagne.gif

MaiMadigan

#62 Post by MaiMadigan » January 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Craig G wrote:I know this one is only partly unpopular, but In'N'Out fries really suck, and if you get them well done they just suck a bit less.

Here's my daughter's contribution: "Uni tastes like dishwater, but really good dishwater."
Yes and yes. :-)

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Alan Rath » January 16th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Craig G wrote:
Jason Crawford wrote:Thin bacon is better.
I like it thick or thin, but the best bacon I ever had was a thin oven cooked slice at Chez Panisse. It came garnished with a roasted quail.
Just spit up my scotch.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Matt Thomas

#64 Post by Matt Thomas » January 16th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Might only be unpopular on this board, but sous vide meat has the same/similar consistency as traditionally prepared meat. I also asked Kenji Lopez-Alt about this after reading some threads on here, and he said in blind tasting people can't perceive the differences between SV and normal.

Elliot Steele

#65 Post by Elliot Steele » January 16th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Matt Thomas wrote:Might only be unpopular on this board, but sous vide meat has the same/similar consistency as traditionally prepared meat. I also asked Kenji Lopez-Alt about this after reading some threads on here, and he said in blind tasting people can't perceive the differences between SV and normal.
At our last offline 5 of us did a blind tasting of prime dry aged ribeye both SV and reverse seared. The SV won the blind tasting 3-2 but most people admittedly said they couldn't tell a giant difference between the two.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Betty C » January 16th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Craig G wrote:
You must be a fellow elitist, or just someone who doesn't love cellulose.
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Betty C » January 16th, 2017, 11:21 pm

MBerto wrote:
Definitely the bacon one. I spent a weekend with a few friends and learned that half of them preferred chewy. I haven't looked them in the eye since.
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Jay Miller » January 17th, 2017, 6:35 am

MBerto wrote:
Obviously the Pepperidge Farm one. The best remaining cookie is Tahiti but Capri and Nassau were far and away the best.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Jay Miller » January 17th, 2017, 6:39 am

Matt Thomas wrote:Might only be unpopular on this board, but sous vide meat has the same/similar consistency as traditionally prepared meat. I also asked Kenji Lopez-Alt about this after reading some threads on here, and he said in blind tasting people can't perceive the differences between SV and normal.
Is he referring to just beef or all meats? Because the reason I love Sous Vide for chicken (though not most other meats) is because of the texture.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Craig G » January 17th, 2017, 6:46 am

Betty C wrote:
Craig G wrote:
You must be a fellow elitist, or just someone who doesn't love cellulose.
I prefer to prepare my own canned cheese with foraged wood pulp.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by MBerto » January 17th, 2017, 7:58 am

Betty C wrote:
MBerto wrote:
Definitely the bacon one. I spent a weekend with a few friends and learned that half of them preferred chewy. I haven't looked them in the eye since.
I'm sorry you had to be in that situation, am glad to hear you're handling it well.
M@TT Bert0 lat us

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by MBerto » January 17th, 2017, 7:58 am

AlexS wrote:Yup.

I'm assuming you mean this as the highest of compliments, as Heinz is the best of ketchups.
M@TT Bert0 lat us

Matt Thomas

#73 Post by Matt Thomas » January 17th, 2017, 8:09 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Is he referring to just beef or all meats? Because the reason I love Sous Vide for chicken (though not most other meats) is because of the texture.
I can't find the email but I believe the question was around steaks.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Craig G » January 17th, 2017, 8:18 am

MBerto wrote:

I'm assuming you mean this as the highest of compliments, as Heinz is the best of ketchups.
Like Kudzu is the best of all plants.

C. Gle@son

Milton Hudson

#75 Post by Milton Hudson » January 17th, 2017, 8:23 am

MBerto wrote:
Craig G wrote:
You are of course correct here. Sriracha is a condiment, like ketchup, mustard, Sambal Olek, etc. Tabasco is a hot sauce, like Crystal, Cholula, Texas Pete.

Milton Hudson

#76 Post by Milton Hudson » January 17th, 2017, 8:24 am

MBerto wrote:

If you are going to force me to consume Ketchup, then it must be Heinz. The only time I voluntarily consume Ketchup is on Onion Rings.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Anton D » January 17th, 2017, 11:06 am

Nolan E wrote:
Read the HiFi thread.[/quote]

Are there hard feelings on the Hi Fi thread?
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Scott G r u n e r

#78 Post by Scott G r u n e r » January 17th, 2017, 11:46 am

Milton Hudson wrote:
MBerto wrote:

If you are going to force me to consume Ketchup, then it must be Heinz. The only time I voluntarily consume Ketchup is on Onion Rings.
Sriracha on Onion Rings is much better!
//Cynic

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by AlexS » January 17th, 2017, 1:05 pm

MBerto wrote:

They are but only because they make a no salt version. Otherwise, Hunt's all day.
s t e w @ r t

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by AlexS » January 17th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Sriracha is the Rombauer of hot sauce.
s t e w @ r t

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 17th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Poppy Davis wrote:Meat is gross.
Raw celery is a stringy abomination.
I remove the strings. Still abominable?

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 17th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Anything with mayonnaise sucks

Nolan E

#83 Post by Nolan E » January 17th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Anton D wrote:
Nolan E wrote:
Read the HiFi thread.
Are there hard feelings on the Hi Fi thread?[/quote]Not involving Sarah.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by David K o l i n » January 17th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:Anything with mayonnaise sucks
Aioli and Romesco must be exceptions to that rule

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 17th, 2017, 1:36 pm

David K o l i n wrote:

Romesco has no mayonaise in it..... [scratch.gif]

For the record, I have no objection to any of the above, when made well.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by mark rudner » January 17th, 2017, 1:38 pm

i like fake crab

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Anton D » January 17th, 2017, 1:45 pm

mark rudner wrote:i like fake crab
Ewwww!!!!

[cheers.gif]

OK, I'll stick my foot in it and say slightly chewy bacon is the only true bacon.

Chocolate is vastly overrated. hitsfan

Gluten free pasta has improved greatly and is now frequently palatable.

Coke is better than Pepsi.

Spam musubi is delicious. pileon

Tabasco is the one, true hot sauce.

grouphug
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by David K o l i n » January 17th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
David K o l i n wrote:

Romesco has no mayonaise in it..... [scratch.gif]

For the record, I have no objection to any of the above, when made well.
No - it doesn't have mayonnaise in it, but it is an oil emulsion. No egg, granted, and stuffed with awesomess from the nuts, peppers and whatever else one might add.

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by ClarkstonMark » January 17th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Milton Hudson wrote:
MBerto wrote:

I use ketchup for 2 things, and 2 things only ...
1. McDonald's French Fries about twice a year
2. Kathy Johnson's Short Ribs 5-6 times a year

and oh ya, Srirachi does suck
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Lee Short » January 17th, 2017, 3:20 pm

MBerto wrote:
Craig G wrote:

Both Sriracha and Tabasco are among the lamest hot sauces ever devised.

Someone must be holding you in a compound in the Yukon if they are your two best options for hot sauce.

Colby Scott

#91 Post by Colby Scott » January 17th, 2017, 3:43 pm

MBerto wrote:

Have tried lots of craft ketchup, even helped fund Red Duck on Kickstarter, but nothing comes close to Heinz for me. Probably due to growing up on it.

(PS - The "Simply Heinz" version, with no high-fructose corn syrup, is almost as good as the original. Almost.)

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by MBerto » January 17th, 2017, 4:09 pm

M@TT Bert0 lat us

Colby Scott

#93 Post by Colby Scott » January 17th, 2017, 5:46 pm

MBerto wrote:I'll just leave this here:

http://deadspin.com/what-to-eat-with-th ... ui-5953300
Sheesh. Is there an ADHD version?

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Alan Rath » January 17th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Anton D wrote:OK, I'll stick my foot in it and say slightly chewy bacon is the only true bacon.
Word. Completely crispy is wrong. Undercooked is wrong. A mix of almost crispy, and slightly chewy (in the same strip) is perfect.

But then I'm the cretin on this thread who puts ketchup on hot dogs, and fries.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Poppy Davis » January 17th, 2017, 11:04 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
Poppy Davis wrote:Meat is gross.
Raw celery is a stringy abomination.
I remove the strings. Still abominable?
Yeah... I can't stand the flavor. I don't mind it in small quantities if cooked, but raw is just nasty.
Poppy D@vis Frucht m@n, formerly ITB

Rob_S

#96 Post by Rob_S » January 18th, 2017, 7:48 am

Alan Rath wrote:
Anton D wrote:OK, I'll stick my foot in it and say slightly chewy bacon is the only true bacon.
Word. Completely crispy is wrong. Undercooked is wrong. A mix of almost crispy, and slightly chewy (in the same strip) is perfect.

But then I'm the cretin on this thread who puts ketchup on hot dogs, and fries.
Meaty and firm. Something that should you hold it by one end it will neither crack in half nor flop. That is why thicker bacon is best.

Another one. Hard boiled eggs are beyond disgusting.

As are raw onions. the only good onion is one that has been cooked and browned while cooking. It's job of flavouring then done, it should be removed from the food before consumption.

Heinz is the ketchup we all grew up on but is nowhere near the best tasting, it's just the taste we associate with ketchup. Prima from Spain is far superior. Hunts and French's are better too.
utherland

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by TimF » January 18th, 2017, 9:34 am

Alan Rath wrote:I don't really understand sushi. Sure, I've eaten my share. But IMO, most fish (and meat, for that matter) have so much more flavor and interesting texture when cooked. There are exceptions, but for me they are rare (haha).
Cooked tuna is the equivalent of canned cat-food.
Tim F@itsch

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Anton D » January 18th, 2017, 11:10 am

Rob_S wrote:
As are raw onions. the only good onion is one that has been cooked and browned while cooking. It's job of flavouring then done, it should be removed from the food before consumption.
Word up!

[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Anton D » January 18th, 2017, 11:13 am

TimF wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:I don't really understand sushi. Sure, I've eaten my share. But IMO, most fish (and meat, for that matter) have so much more flavor and interesting texture when cooked. There are exceptions, but for me they are rare (haha).
Cooked tuna is cat-food.
FIFY!

I have never understood that vile concoction.

Then they can it!

_

I admit my love for Tabasco is likely because it was my first.

Sprinkle it on some eggs over easy or sunny side up and mmmmmmm.

Oh, so another opinion - eggs over medium or over hard are an abomination.

Deviled eggs, however, are a gift from God.

[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by CWun » January 19th, 2017, 8:05 am

I used to love going to omakase-type sushi joints, where we'd get fed all the white board specials that was flown over from Japan/hokkaido/santa barbara. But looking back at it, i enjoyed the experience with friends, versus the actual food itself.

So these days my opinion is: "OMAKASE SUSHI IS OVER RATED"
C@r_y

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”