Post your Unpopular Food Opinion

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#101 Post by Michae1 P0wers » January 19th, 2017, 8:50 am

I can't believe all the Sriracha hate. I think the love for it is overblown, but it, like other varieties of hot sauce, certainly has its place. IMO Pho requires a heavy dose of Sriracha (and a lighter dose of Hoisin).

Corey N.

#102 Post by Corey N. » January 19th, 2017, 8:59 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:I can't believe all the Sriracha hate. I think the love for it is overblown, but it, like other varieties of hot sauce, certainly has its place. IMO Pho requires a heavy dose of Sriracha (and a lighter dose of Hoisin).
I like to just throw some sliced jalapeños into my pho for flavor -- don't eat them though. But you're entitled to your preferences, wrong as they might be.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Michael Martin » January 19th, 2017, 9:10 am

Fats in food does not equate to turning into fat in your body. Excess sugars and carbs turn into fat in your body.

Michael S. Monie

#104 Post by Michael S. Monie » January 19th, 2017, 9:22 am

Michael Martin wrote:Fats in food does not equate to turning into fat in your body. Excess sugars and carbs turn into fat in your body.
True dat, with the culprit being the excess production of insulin.
Hubris Gravitas

"Why so unforgiving? And why so cold? Been a long time crossing, Bridge of Sighs." Robin Trower

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Henry Kiichli » January 19th, 2017, 9:32 am

The thing about Sriracha that I don't like is the powdered garlic. I really detest powdered onion, and garlic powder is close behind. I find that Sriracha has a very aggressive garlic powder aftertaste.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by CWun » January 19th, 2017, 10:46 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:.... IMO Pho requires a heavy dose of Sriracha (and a lighter dose of Hoisin).
Pho can be a season-to-eater's-taste thing, but in my opinion, a very well made broth requires no extra saucing. Maybe some basil or mint. Otherwise, all I'll taste is Sriracha and not the broth.
C@r_y

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Anton D » January 19th, 2017, 10:50 am

Henry Kiichli wrote:The thing about Sriracha that I don't like is the powdered garlic. I really detest powdered onion, and garlic powder is close behind. I find that Sriracha has a very aggressive garlic powder aftertaste.
Spot on!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#108 Post by Joe Chanley » January 19th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Most things are not better when cooked sous vide than when cooked with "traditional" techniques.

Not all food is made better by having truffles shaved over it.

Almost all desserts are a waste of calories, and should be banned from taking up space on tasting menus.
Agree on truffles. I like them quite a bit, but don't think something that incorporates truffles automatically qualifies it as an amazing bite.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by mark rudner » January 19th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote

Almost all desserts are a waste of calories, and should be banned from taking up space on tasting menus.

i totally agree on this point. all my sugar calories go to extra wine, not dessert

PeterJ
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by PeterJ » January 19th, 2017, 12:34 pm

Craig G wrote:I know this one is only partly unpopular, but In'N'Out fries really suck, and if you get them well done they just suck a bit less.
"
I totally agree and have never understood why so many of the fries always seem to be so short unless they're using very small potatoes. I order them well done but too many are always very small. I'd love to have a 5 Guys next to an In-n-Out so I could get a Double Double animal style with 5 Guys fries. Of course, if the fries are To Go I'd have to keep the bag open because the closed bag steams and softens them. First World problems for sure, but still real.
Peter J@ckel

PeterJ
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by PeterJ » January 19th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Craig G wrote:I know this one is only partly unpopular, but In'N'Out fries really suck, and if you get them well done they just suck a bit less.
"
I totally agree and have never understood why so many of the fries always seem to be so short unless they're using very small potatoes. I order them well done but too many are always very small. I'd love to have a 5 Guys next to an In-n-Out so I could get a Double Double animal style with 5 Guys fries. Of course, if the fries are To Go I'd have to keep the bag open because the closed bag steams and softens them. First World problems for sure, but still real.
Peter J@ckel

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by David K o l i n » January 19th, 2017, 3:52 pm

CWun wrote:
Michae1 P0wers wrote:.... IMO Pho requires a heavy dose of Sriracha (and a lighter dose of Hoisin).
Pho can be a season-to-eater's-taste thing, but in my opinion, a very well made broth requires no extra saucing. Maybe some basil or mint. Otherwise, all I'll taste is Sriracha and not the broth.

Agreed. Sriracha and hoisin are for dipping, if at all

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Russell Faulkner » January 19th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Michael S. Monie wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:Fats in food does not equate to turning into fat in your body. Excess sugars and carbs turn into fat in your body.
Not if you lead an active lifestyle. I've got nearly 200g of sugar lined up before lunch today.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Michael Martin » January 19th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:
Michael S. Monie wrote:
Not if you lead an active lifestyle. I've got nearly 200g of sugar lined up before lunch today.
Maybe you missed the word "excess".

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Russell Faulkner » January 19th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Find me a fat fruitarian.
I'll find you plenty of fatties who eat a high fat diet.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Michael Martin » January 19th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:Find me a fat fruitarian.
Probably with lots of sugar too.

Nolan E

#117 Post by Nolan E » January 19th, 2017, 6:23 pm

I'd rather have one large portion of something amazing than a 10 course tasting menu.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Michael S. Monie

#118 Post by Michael S. Monie » January 19th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:Find me a fat fruitarian.
I'd be amazed if you could just find me a fruitarian.
Hubris Gravitas

"Why so unforgiving? And why so cold? Been a long time crossing, Bridge of Sighs." Robin Trower

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by AlexS » January 19th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Anton D wrote:
Henry Kiichli wrote:The thing about Sriracha that I don't like is the powdered garlic. I really detest powdered onion, and garlic powder is close behind. I find that Sriracha has a very aggressive garlic powder aftertaste.
Spot on!
+1

I never really thought about before but this is definitely one of the reason's I've always been lukewarm to Sriracha...leaves a hell of an acrid, long-lasting aftertaste.
s t e w @ r t

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by M. Dildine » January 19th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Tomatoes are revolting. Heirlooms, especially.
Cheers,

Mike

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by MBerto » January 20th, 2017, 7:13 am

M. Dildine wrote:Tomatoes are revolting. Heirlooms, especially.
LEAVE.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Alan Rath » January 20th, 2017, 10:22 am

MBerto wrote:
M. Dildine wrote:Tomatoes are revolting. Heirlooms, especially.
LEAVE.
I don't think Mike likes the leaves either [wow.gif]

Horses for courses, I absolutely love tomatoes, particularly heirlooms pileon
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Sebastian C.

#123 Post by Sebastian C. » January 20th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Betty C wrote: Jamon Iberico de bellota is better than prosciutto..
Agree..but

Apples and oranges. You can compare prosciutto to Jamon serrano not Iberico. The Iberico pigs are completely different. Most of Serrano and prosciuttto you find are from very similar breed of pigs. Still Serrano is better than prosciutto IMHO.
C0rr3@

Ian Sutton

#124 Post by Ian Sutton » January 20th, 2017, 6:00 pm

MitchTallan wrote:1) If I am seated next to you and you whip out your phone and start taking macros of your served-up food, I have every right to f*@king stab you. If you are sporting a beard, a man-bun, or a black Northface jacket, I get to kick you in the balls first. If you are woman with a beard, man-bun, or Northface jacket, the kick will be to the private parts.

2) I don't expect to see any schmears/skid-marks of some pureed anything decorating my plate.

3) The organic, locally sourced, humanely sacrificed thing is/should be as out as man-buns, beards, and black Northface jackets.

4) If I am seated next to you and you are hacking/coughing/spewing up phlegm, wiping your nose with the table linen, or talking loudly on your cell, all of 1) again apply.

5) Store-bought stock in a cardboard box or can is useless-you might as well use salted water.

6) Flannery and all the other mail order steak companies are a waste-too much fat, inconsistent beef. The one exception is Snake River Farms for smoking some righteous Q.

7) If you are over 40, still read Cooks Illustrated, and every other foodie word out of your mouth is about what you f#*king sous-vide-d last night, stay the f#*k away from me. Or better yet, try sous-vide-ing your pecker.
I can't comment on 6, and I disagree on locally sourced in 3 (but whether it's 5km, 20km or 50km makes little difference, but 20,000 km does)

However absolutely with you on the smears, ubiquitous sous-vide, cellphone snappers and talkers & dried stock cubes. My favourite photo (oops) of a smear, was of a brown sauce. Smeared it just looked like a ... well you know what it looked like, and it really did look so much like it, that I felt like reaching for some toilet roll.
Normal for Norfolk

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by George Hejna » January 21st, 2017, 9:53 am

A5 Waygu is over rated (and over used)

George

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Russell Faulkner » January 21st, 2017, 9:55 am

Waygu should never be served as a steak.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by RichardFlack » January 21st, 2017, 5:45 pm

You know something is wrong when supermarket chains have frozen Waygu burgers in boxes.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by RichardFlack » January 21st, 2017, 5:47 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
MitchTallan wrote:1) If I am seated next to you and you whip out your phone and start taking macros of your served-up food, I have every right to f*@king stab you. If you are sporting a beard, a man-bun, or a black Northface jacket, I get to kick you in the balls first. If you are woman with a beard, man-bun, or Northface jacket, the kick will be to the private parts.

2) I don't expect to see any schmears/skid-marks of some pureed anything decorating my plate.

3) The organic, locally sourced, humanely sacrificed thing is/should be as out as man-buns, beards, and black Northface jackets.

4) If I am seated next to you and you are hacking/coughing/spewing up phlegm, wiping your nose with the table linen, or talking loudly on your cell, all of 1) again apply.

5) Store-bought stock in a cardboard box or can is useless-you might as well use salted water.

6) Flannery and all the other mail order steak companies are a waste-too much fat, inconsistent beef. The one exception is Snake River Farms for smoking some righteous Q.

7) If you are over 40, still read Cooks Illustrated, and every other foodie word out of your mouth is about what you f#*king sous-vide-d last night, stay the f#*k away from me. Or better yet, try sous-vide-ing your pecker.
+10 on "smears".

I can't comment on 6, and I disagree on locally sourced in 3 (but whether it's 5km, 20km or 50km makes little difference, but 20,000 km does)

However absolutely with you on the smears, ubiquitous sous-vide, cellphone snappers and talkers & dried stock cubes. My favourite photo (oops) of a smear, was of a brown sauce. Smeared it just looked like a ... well you know what it looked like, and it really did look so much like it, that I felt like reaching for some toilet roll.

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Eric Ifune » January 22nd, 2017, 1:30 pm

Horse meat is way better than cow.

Andrew Murphy

#130 Post by Andrew Murphy » January 24th, 2017, 3:02 am

Pho noodle soup tastes like dirty salty dishwater.

Penne sucks. Besides being a f%$#ing pain to eat, the pasta layer itself is too thick (which I assume is necessary to ensure it maintains a cylindrical shape), making it taste like a thick layer of either undercooked or overcooked pasta dough.

And I absolutely agree that bitter leaf vegetables are revolting...

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by David K o l i n » January 24th, 2017, 4:19 am

Bitter greens are my life

Michael S. Monie

#132 Post by Michael S. Monie » January 24th, 2017, 4:52 am

Traditionas Asian cultures know that bitter foods are an important component in meals both from a taste and health perspective. Bitter stimulates appetite. Have a Negroni before dinner.
Hubris Gravitas

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 24th, 2017, 5:31 am

This thread makes me more thankful than ever that I like pretty much everything, provided it's good quality and well prepared. There really aren't any foods one might encounter in the normal course of events that I dislike.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Chris Blum » January 24th, 2017, 6:01 am

Andrew Murphy wrote:Pho noodle soup tastes like dirty salty dishwater.
cilantro?
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by CJ Beazley » January 24th, 2017, 6:24 am

Corey N. wrote:
Michae1 P0wers wrote:I can't believe all the Sriracha hate. I think the love for it is overblown, but it, like other varieties of hot sauce, certainly has its place. IMO Pho requires a heavy dose of Sriracha (and a lighter dose of Hoisin).
I like to just throw some sliced jalapeños into my pho for flavor -- don't eat them though. But you're entitled to your preferences, wrong as they might be.
Dumb question, don't you use fish sauce? Or do you mean 'in addition to'?
It's C(raig)

Bill Tex Landreth

#136 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » January 24th, 2017, 6:35 am

Eric Ifune wrote:Horse meat is way better than cow.
:o
Compact Disc and Wine Theft should be reported and prosecuted.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Craig G » January 24th, 2017, 6:57 am

David K o l i n wrote:Bitter greens are my life
Hey, no politics!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Chris Blum » January 24th, 2017, 7:42 am

Nay
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by CWun » January 24th, 2017, 8:25 am

CJ Beazley wrote:
Corey N. wrote:
there's often fish sauce in the pho broth already.
C@r_y

Rob_S

#140 Post by Rob_S » January 24th, 2017, 9:58 am

As a tartar I totally agree. As a big grilled steak, still prefer the cow. It's also really hard to get good horse, even when they call it Cheval...
utherland

Corey N.

#141 Post by Corey N. » January 24th, 2017, 10:59 am

CJ Beazley wrote:
Corey N. wrote:I like to just throw some sliced jalapeños into my pho for flavor -- don't eat them though.
I don't use additional fish sauce; there's usually some in the broth. The broth is delicately spiced, so I try not to overwhelm in with flavor additions.

Nøv¡¢k

Corey N.

#142 Post by Corey N. » January 24th, 2017, 11:00 am

I prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate.

Nøv¡¢k

c_choi_

#143 Post by c_choi_ » January 24th, 2017, 11:21 am

Tonkotsu ramen is not the end-all be-all; it's just one out of four but finding the other three in the US is akin to hunting that damn needle down.
Chr|s Ch0|

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#144 Post by c fu » January 24th, 2017, 11:35 am

c_choi_ wrote:Tonkotsu ramen is not the end-all be-all; it's just one out of four but finding the other three in the US is akin to hunting that damn needle down.
Ramen Roll in culver city, chicken + dashi broth. Utter perfection. Opening soon.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by CWun » January 24th, 2017, 12:36 pm

c_choi_ wrote:Tonkotsu ramen is not the end-all be-all; it's just one out of four but finding the other three in the US is akin to hunting that damn needle down.
agreed. I like using shio ramen to consider whether I'd go back again. less competing flavors to hide a mediocre broth/tare.
C@r_y

Michael S. Monie

#146 Post by Michael S. Monie » January 24th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Interesting piece on ramen for neophytes such as myself: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/the- ... tyles.html
Hubris Gravitas

rfelthoven

#147 Post by rfelthoven » January 24th, 2017, 2:44 pm

70% of home cooks who think they are the shit don't know shit about the actual science behind how cooking works and how desired results are achieved, and often propagate old wive's tales on internet forums that have been debunked. Reading periodicals and blogs to continue to educate one's self, along with practice and application of these techniques, is important to getting the best results.
Ron

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by David K o l i n » January 24th, 2017, 2:50 pm

And yet, a proper tonkotsu makes me very, very happy. Kome miso, too

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#149 Post by c fu » January 24th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Andrew Murphy wrote:Pho noodle soup tastes like dirty salty dishwater.

WILL FIGHT YOU [snort.gif]
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Betty C » January 24th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Corey N. wrote:I prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate.
Who wouldn't?!
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”