Help - I need some great tomato recipes

I went peach picking today with some friends and they had a tomato “alternative,” so after we finished with peaches, nectarines and apples, we bought an empty flat to fill with tomatoes. When we got back to our cars, my friends didn’t want very many tomatoes, so I ended up with way too many. All sorts of tomatoes, except for plum paste tomatoes, which we passed on. Red heirlooms, yellow heirlooms, green stripe tomatoes, and all sorts of cherry tomatoes, from yellow pear to purple top to orange, to red. I will make gazpacho but that only goes so far. I can’t use them for pizza and the like - can’t handle the carbs and tomatoes have enough by themselves. I think I will convert a tomato and onion tart into a fritatta, but I’m tapped out after that. Anyone have any favorites, except for just eating them raw, which I did plenty of today.

Sauce for eggplant, veal or chicken parmigiana?

Tomato juice.

There are some dishes that are only as good as those great tomatoes -
BLT “season” and it’s right now with those heirlooms
Ceviche with various heirlooms, evenly diced and salted, let to sit in a strainer to remove the extra water. If you can get fresh CA white sea bass, even better.
Tomato Tart (with puff pastry and mustard, herbs de provence) and rose
Panzanella

I had a BLT the other day that was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten in my life. Great bread, thick crispy bacon and a tomato picked immediately before making the sandwich.

Tomato salads (caprese, tomato with feta and cucumber), salsa, a fresh tonato pasta sauce, shashuka, succotash

Can or ferment them if you can’t use them all.

Make a salad with fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced bresaola, arugula, thin-sliced shallot, S&P, good olive oil

Smoke some, drain very well, and make salsa with 50/50 fresh/smoked. Be sure to keep the drained broth; fantastic as tortellini en brodo – very nice if you can splurge for the carbs in even a half-dozen cheese tortellini.

Smoke some beefsteaks, top with a thin slice of fresh mozz and olive oil, and eat. Or smoke, drain, and freeze the sauce.

Tomato wine?

Please share about the smoking process. Sliced, whole? How long and what temp?

I have plans to make these soon, middle eastern lamb stuffed tomatoes

Caprese Salad!

Sliced tomatoes
Burrata or Mozzarella
Basil leaves
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
F0D7DF1C-98FC-4337-9666-50270C186808.jpeg

Whole, definitely. The tomatoes will end up very soft, they’d be a big mushy mess if you sliced them.

I usually go for about 4 hours at 250 F, but they are very forgiving, both in terms of time and temp. I’ve had good results with as short as 2 hours at 300-325 if I was pressed for time. I’ve heard great things about slow-roasted tomatoes in the oven, so I’ve been meaning to try a smoke at 200 for 8-10 hours, just haven’t done it yet.

The tomatoes will give off a bunch of flavorful liquid in the smoking process, so you’ll want to capture that. I put the tomatoes in a large enameled cast iron skillet with a rack over the top to keep the tomatoes elevated. I pile the tomatoes as high as I can get them to go. I usually get just short of 10 pounds piled up. No point in doing any less than capacity – just puree any leftovers, add salt, and freeze as sauce.

Corn Maque Choux and/or Smothered Okra.

Tomato Bread: good bread (toasted), a bit of anchovy paste, sliced tomato(es), sliced onion, mozzarella cheese, a bit of olive oil and Parmesan cheese. Put under broiler to melt cheese, finish with basil chiffonade, and pepper.

You can add prosciutto and/or sliced chicken breast if you want more protein. It makes a solid side dish, first course or appetizer.

The carbohydrates might deter the OP.

Sliced, peeled tomatoes on white bread with a thin coat of mayo…and cut off the crust!!

Chinese tomato egg - lots of recipes online.

Peach and tomato salsa - add red onion, and a jalapeño. Season with splash of lemon juice and cayenne if you want spicier.

Create your own tomato throwing event amongst your friends since the annual one in Spain was canceled this year .

Uncooked tomato sauce is the way to go with the summer’s best tomatoes.

I am sure there are recipes online but it is very simple.

Chop up tomatoes put in a bowl
Add fresh garlic - better more than not enough
Add some red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
EVOO - not a lot.

Do this in the AM and let it come together in the fridge.

Cook some pasta. While pasta is still hot dress with sauce, freshly grated pecorino and basil if you want.

Stunning with great tomatoes.

George