Help - I need some great tomato recipes

Slow roast for hours.
Great umami bomb for tons of other recipes.

We made a tomato pie tonight that sucked big time. But the wine was good.

Today we made fresh bruschetta with the tomatoes, basil from out back yard and chopped onions on top of thin lightly breaded (home made low carb bread crumbs) chicken cutlets. Excellent. I really like the idea of above of lamb stuffed tomatoes with matzoh meal, in honor of my mother, whose Yartzeit is tomorrow. I will have no carbs all day to forgive the matzoh meal.

+1. I also like slicing them and adding olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.

Not exactly.

You can lacto ferment tomatoes and then use them in place of cooked tomato, or add a portion of them to other fresh tomatoes for an umami boost.

At the end of lacto ferm, place the tomatoes in a strainer with cheesecloth to drain overnight. The fermented tomatoes will last quite a while in the fridge, and the juice you have drained off can be used in place of water in cooking for a flavor boost, or you can use it in sauces or dressings.

[cheers.gif]

Never throw away tomato water; use it to cook white rice—heavenly.

Tomato/rice wine. [wow.gif]

[wow.gif] I probably dumped 6 cups of it the other day while making spaghetti sauce.

Gazpacho!

Just made some using Nola’s MIL’s recipe - delish!!!

Nola’s recipe is fantastic! My favorite. Thank you for linking it.

I am making this tonight. May use basil instead of mint if I can’t find mint.

I use phyllo shells/cups and place a small amount of mascarpone cheese, topped with basil chiffonade and heirloom tomato piece. Top with flaked salt and baked briefly. One bite bliss. Got from Mark Bittman’s old column that I altered.

Report back in the results.

Take them to a Jets game!

This is before. I forgot to photograph after cooking. Ignore the black fry pan. I just used it for the photo.
stuffed tomatoes.jpg
PS - we really liked them with no variations from the recipe except I threw in a little Ras el Hanout. Very little.

I haven’t tried this, but it checks the tomato and low carb boxes and looks like a great use for Nola’s fantastic Ventresca: Ensalada de Tomate con Ventresca de Atún (Spanish-Style Tomato and Ventresca Tuna Salad) Recipe.

I just started doing this two weeks ago. Oh my, heaven. A bit more sour and acidic. Much more depth. Concentration of tomato paste without the “cooked” flavour.

I started fermenting 3 more batches last weekend- should be ready this.

I made a fermented tomato/watermelon salsa last week that was so good I just wanted to drink it.

Jay, this morning I feel you!
tomato .jpg