The NY Strip Steak is...

The most over-rated cut of beef ever. There, I said it. pileon

I thought that was filet mignon.

-Al

1 Like

What’s the most under-rated?

Sorry, onLy one rating per customer.

Most underrated is the Chuck.

Not sure what is more over-rated, the filet or the rib-eye. Porterhouse rules followed by the NY strip.

[scratch.gif] You lost me there since the Porterhouse is 1/2 Filet.

Pot Roast, yum!

+1

+1 point for filet. -2 points for Ribeye. You are in the negative, I am sorry.

Very simple distinction. Filet mignon — when served on its own — is usually butchered way to thick, especially at steakhouses. It comes out in a square cube and is a flabby mess. When left on the bone as part of a porterhouse — which is generally butchered a bit thinner — it cooks more evenly, has a better texture and has more flavor.

Ha, I would guess my opinion of the ribeye is strongly in the minority. I do not love the excess fat in the ribeye.

+n for the filet mignon.

It can be the best or the worst. Only get it when prime grade and even then where it is cut off of the loin is all important. With a nickname like “veiny steak”, selection of the individual cut can be sublime or a third inedible.

Cut around it like you have to do with that disgusting tendon in the NY Strip.

Fat = Flavor

That’s why Filets need a sauce and Ribeye gets by with S&P

All cuts matter.

Awesome and one of my go-to steaks. I buy a huge pack of Costco prime strips when I can get them and freeze them. Always a total people pleaser at my house. I had some Linz bone ins that I adored. I think this cut of steak might be my favorite with the bone in. (KC cut) A nice bone in ribeye being second. I can make tenderloin taste good with almost any grade. Costco Choice is hard to beat. Maybe Lafrieda Barrel Cuts or Bryan Flannery would change this perspective. My $0.02.

Picahna and ribeye (tomahawk) are the best cuts.

Nys is def overrated

champagne.gif

I much prefer the texture of the strip compared to the ribeye.