Pepper Grinder?

Looking to replace my 12" Miu walnut pepper mill which is now over 20 years old and I think the grinder is wearing a bit. Just not as efficient as it should be. Was looking at a similar Peugeot model (I like the classic lacquer paris style), but thought I should ask if anyone has an opinion. I’m OK with the grinder having coarseness settings vs. totally manual but do not want anything electric or automatic and I’m not fond of the food mill style crank handle type.

We had some Peugot’s that weren’t great but then were impressed by a Bisetti that we encountered on a trip to Italy a few years ago. We have since purchased quite a few (several for ourselves and several as gifts) and all have performed flawlessly. I would note, however, that the grind is not really adjustable - basically a default ‘fine’. I have some vintage Perfex pepper mills that I use for coarse grind but this is the crank type that you did not want.

I love my Unicorn pepper mill, but it may not be as visually appealing as the Peugeot. Wins the performance battle easy though. There’s one on Kickstarter called the Pepper Cannon that I really want but haven’t pulled the trigger to buy.

1 Like

I’ll second the recommendation of the Unicorn. I’ve had mine for at least several years with no problems, it is easy to use, and produces good volume.

Skip the peugeot. The ones made decades ago were built like tanks, but the new ones are not. I have the newer enameled ones, which were gorgeous until they chipped a few months in (and these are dining table only). I don’t have a recommendation, just a warning…

I use a brass Turkish coffee/spice grinder for most peppercorns. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B07WK7X2K5

For Kampot peppercorns, which are best ground fine, I use an almost 50 year old Peugeot pepper mill that has an all steel grinding mechanism. Don’t use a grinder that has any plastic parts.

1 Like

Thanks all. The unicorn folks in Nantucket appear to be having delays in the supply chain. Really hard to find in Canada too. It would have ticked all the boxes, apart from style.
Bisetti look lovely, but I do like to adjust the grind as needed. Despite Astrid’s post, I’m likely going to go with a peugeot. Universally well regarded (apart from here).

1 Like

Looks like Serious Eats did a “best of” article:

1 Like

my favorite grinders were wood ones I bought from Ikea 20 years ago. Simple, efficient, and Still going strong. agree on peugeot- bought a set for my mom and they are nothing like her old set.

you want the 10 inch fletchers. it’s on sale and you’ll never buy another. mine is easily 15 years old.

https://amzn.to/2LOYfHL

2 Likes

I really like some of the more Scandanavian-looking designs that Fletcher makes, nice alternative to the traditional look. Thanks guys.

Interesting to see so many people have had issues with their Peugot grinder, never had any issues with mine, so maybe it’s on borrowed time now…

Based on the serious eats review and Yaacov’s endorsement I just ordered one from Fletcher. My 40 year old Peugeot died about 5 years ago. A new Peugeot died a few years after that. Currently I’m using one we bought in Florence and if not for the sentimental attachment I’d consign it to the dustheap as it’s a piece of ****.

So thank you Chris!

Unicorn for me also. Been a workhorse for probably 15 years. I bought mine at a coffee supply store/espresso shop in Montreal near Jean-Talon. They still had them earlier in the year. Let me see if I can find the name of the place.

My Peugeot , approx 25 yrs old is ok but a bit warn. This thread has started me thinking. I see references to adjustable grind. Mine isn’t really adjustable other than loosening the nut on top seems to coarsen the grind, not sure if that’s expected behaviour. Mostly I like a moderately course grind but there are times when a fine grind is needed.
So, my question is, is it better to maybe get two grinders one for fine and one for coarse?

My relatively modern Peugeot (had it for ~6-7 years) does both fine and coarse. The bottom part of the grinder serves as an adjustment wheel. You also can adjust the nut on top in combination to fine tune your preferred grind.

1 Like

My Pepper Cannon arrived a little over three weeks ago and I have been putting it through its paces de rigueur. Could not be happier with it so far. Grinds beautifully and bountifully. Grinding large quantities of pepper for recipes has been a breeze. It is built like a tank. Incredibly study. Time will tell on its durability over the years, but all signs indicate to it lasting. Quite pleased with it.

2 Likes

I also got my Pepper Cannon around 3 weeks ago and I love it. I use it daily. I’ve had a Unicorn for many years that has been great, other than a tendency for me to open the loading port while grinding vigorously, but the Cannon is even better. Even better that it was a gift-though I’d have bought one myself. It’s a giant step over any Peugeot I’ve used (and the one I own).

1 Like

I have a Peugeot that has served me well for 15ish years. A friend has the Pepper Cannon and is extremely happy.

That’s what I used before and loved it. Still do.

The main benefit of the pepper canon I see is its high output. Grinding pepper for a brisket, pork shoulder or other large roast has been infinitely easier. If you don’t need large quantities of fresh pepper, then the Peugeot or similar grinder gets the job done at a much lower cost.