SF Dim Sum Rec?

don’t need bizarre Andrew Zimmern foods, just solid dim sum for a Sunday morning in SF. Thanks!
alan

No dim sim recco, but if you’re in the mood for Vietnamese that’s wine friendly, every time I’m out there I get together with the locals at Bodega Bistro, in the Tenderloin. The squab and salt and pepper dungeness are insanely good. I also love the fried squid, green papaya salad, green mango salad and cha gio.

drive to daly city to koi palace, or down to millbrae to zen peninsula, asian pearl, or hong kong flower lounge.
Standard rec.

However, if that isn’t possible then, the standard restaurants you’ve read about like yank sing, ton kiang, will be fine, although expensive.

If you are Downtown, City View on Commercial just north of Kearney is my favorite.

+1 on City View.

We did lunch at city view a few weeks back, pretty solid all around. You can order off the menu or the many carts circling the restaurant. They do take reservations but we did not have one, lunch at 11:30am with no wait.

Yank Sing at the Rincon Center is pretty good and takes reservations, but we go primarily for the old post office

We’ve had good meals at Yank Sing several times: solid, not awe-inspiring meals…

Nothing wrong with Yank Sing except for the price but it is close to the Ferry Building. I would eat in the Ferry Building and drink some wine at the wine bar.

I know you are looking for dim sum, but I have a recommendation for cheeseburgers if you need it… [snort.gif]

At least Vietnamese is the same continent, pork chop.

Ton Kiang San Francisco, best in the city.

Again for Yank Sing. Yes it’s pricey but nice environment and some of my favorite, plus I like the carts.

I like Yank Sing. More expensive than City View, but the soup dumplings and pork buns are outstanding.

+1 Koi Palace if possible. Yank Sing if you don’t want to drive.

got the Yank Sing res. Thanks all.
alan

You made the right choice, yank sing is my favorite for dim sum in the city

I think you’ll like it, Alan. They have several vegetarian dumplings that are first rate if you are going with people with dietary restrictions (the mushroom dumplings are great), their soup dumplings and siu mai are better than most, their har gao is really good and we had a nice piece of black cod last week. Certainly not inexpensive, but a must stop on each trip for my wife.

If you are going to the Rincon restaurant, try to take a couple of minutes to view the WPA California history murals in the old post office in the building

At Yank Sing, be sure to ask for the Peking duck if it’s not coming around. That and their soup dumplings are my favorites.

Ding ding ding. [winner.gif]

Yank Sing was disappointing for 2 reasons. The first was that the food didn’t compare to City View. The second is that Dan Hammer doesn’t eat dim sum at ‘fancy’ restaurants.