Adventures in Paris

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#401 Post by ClarkstonMark »

42 minutes in the Louvre has to be some sort of record!
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#402 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

ClarkstonMark wrote:42 minutes in the Louvre has to be some sort of record!
Was a curiously slow day, given we arrived mid-afternoon. My "I really just want to see the Mona Lisa" circuit is to go up through the Denon entrance, end around from behind the Mona Lisa, loop out to Winged Victory, down the stairs in front of it, 180 to the right and run back to the Venus de Milo, then out. The Delacroix exhibit is directly under upstairs ticket area and Liberty Leading the People is in the first main exhibit hall for the exhibition, which you can easily turn around and back out of after seeing the painting, as most people don't want to go through the 20 rooms with 100's of sketchbooks and other drawings they have posted.

Full disclosure: I think Liberty Leading the People is one of the greatest paintings ever made, which meant we were going to see it :D
Attachments
E8A2D777-CA46-4155-BEDE-3E7F798AFF92.jpeg
E8A2D777-CA46-4155-BEDE-3E7F798AFF92.jpeg (21.41 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#403 Post by Mike Grammer »

[training.gif] [rofl.gif] O-M-F-G. All I could do not to howl. Those two posts have to be in my running for post of the year on the board so far. It's like we were there with you, Drew.

FTR, if your pacing is about the same as mine, that would have taken you around the entire circumference of Jerusalem 4.5 times. ;)

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#404 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Quick note, as I’m typing on my cell in the dark at 4 am because I’m jet lagged like crazy...

I was reading “e chin’s“ recap of a China visit, specifically the art school scam part, and realized I never posted on a couple of the bigger ones that I’ve seen in Paris, one of which I fell for.

First one is the bracelet scam - almost guaranteed to be an African male, usually around Sacre Coure or the Eiffel Tower, that comes up to you and offers to tie a little friendship-bracelet on your arm... and then demand money for it. There are always 5-10 guys trying this in the same area, so if somebody allows them to tie it on their wrist and subsequently refuses to pay, it can get awkward fast. Most people hand some change over and exit the area immediately.

The one I fell for is the “deaf student” con. My wife and I were walking at La Defense (but I’ve run into them in multiple locations) and were approached by someone claiming to be a deaf student, asking us to sign a petition for deaf student rights. I, of course, love to make myself feel better about myself by signing petitions for deaf students in foreign countries and tend to gloss over common sense things like “hey, this is written entirely in English. Weird, in a country here French is the only accepted written language.”

After writing our names down, we were profusely thanked by the student and then shown another sheet telling us we had signed up for a donation, which was typically 5 to 10 Euros. At this point, I no longer felt good about signing a piece of paper, as I realized I had likely gotten scammed.... but I wasn’t 100% sure and well, this deaf person is standing in front of me and is likely going to starve to death if I don’t give her 5 Euros. So I did and then hurriedly walked away. I looked it up later, of course, and saw that it was pretty common.

Rather than leave on a negative note, here’s a pic from the dinner at Metropolitan, including tempura-battered pimientos padron and a Moroccan Syrah that was a joint venture with Alain Graillot (my favorite Crozes Hermitage producer).
Attachments
991782C1-8591-4B80-BB55-66EFC96B0B02.jpeg
991782C1-8591-4B80-BB55-66EFC96B0B02.jpeg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Instagram at @akgrill

Walter Nissen

Adventures in Paris

#405 Post by Walter Nissen »

Oh, that's how the scam works? It's simpler than I thought. There are groups of "petition" solicitors all over Paris, even in places where there are not many tourists, but admittedly lots of foot traffic.

I was really hoping to see Gare St. Lazare, from Monet's painting. I had walked literally all the way across town, starting from the far southern point, around the Arc de Triomphe, only to arrive and find a Samsung ad plastered across the facade, under heavy construction. Oh well, The Eglise Saint-Augustin, just a few blocks away, underwent a huge cleaning, and is now a showpiece, more attractive than Notre Dame if you ask me. Always something more to see in Paris.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#406 Post by Michel Abood »

God I miss Paris.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#407 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

This made me laugh. To my twin five year old boys, there is no discussion - it’s clealy “pain au chocolat.” The funny part? The minute you see the dark rounds on the wall, any good Parisian will immediately know this as filmed at Poilane :)

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2018072 ... ate-pastry
Instagram at @akgrill

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#408 Post by Michel Abood »

Andrew Kotowski wrote:This made me laugh. To my twin five year old boys, there is no discussion - it’s clealy “pain au chocolat.” The funny part? The minute you see the dark rounds on the wall, any good Parisian will immediately know this as filmed at Poilane :)

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2018072 ... ate-pastry
I had family in the Southwest (Toulouse to be exact) and they never called it a chocolantine, it was always a pain au chocolat. And BTW the image they used for the SW of France looks more like the Alps, in the Southeast. Oops.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#409 Post by Paul McCourt »

I think that may have been one of the first things I learned to order in French.

I can' wait to go back to Paris over Christmas. Any Christmas Eve dinner reccos?

Nice but not too much as two teen daughters with us. Family tradition for the ladies to get new dresses and shoes for a "fancy" dinner on Christmas Eve.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#410 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

I don't have much to share re: Christmas Eve dinner; we cooked the hell out of the holidays at home, given 4 kids and an apartment. Regardless, make sure you pick up a foie loaf, as well as some comte Noel (~36 month aged comte). I could go on for days :D

I'm off to Paris again tomorrow to pick up the wife and kids make the final move back. I doubt I'll get a chance to do anything of merit, but will post if I do. Only note is that it has been hotter than Hades this last week, with temps in the high 90s and my daughter claiming a 100+ reading. There aren't a lot of places with AC, so it's been pretty miserable :/ Looks like things are cooling off, just in time for my arrival!
Instagram at @akgrill

Steve Manzi

Adventures in Paris

#411 Post by Steve Manzi »

Andrew Kotowski wrote:I don't have much to share re: Christmas Eve dinner; we cooked the hell out of the holidays at home, given 4 kids and an apartment. Regardless, make sure you pick up a foie loaf, as well as some comte Noel (~36 month aged comte). I could go on for days :D

I'm off to Paris again tomorrow to pick up the wife and kids make the final move back. I doubt I'll get a chance to do anything of merit, but will post if I do. Only note is that it has been hotter than Hades this last week, with temps in the high 90s and my daughter claiming a 100+ reading. There aren't a lot of places with AC, so it's been pretty miserable :/ Looks like things are cooling off, just in time for my arrival!

Sorry, but that is forbidden. You shall remain in Paris, offering your notes, until we release you.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Milton Hudson

Adventures in Paris

#412 Post by Milton Hudson »

Paul,
We're just about committed to Paris over Christmas this year. Actively planning and scoping. Any notes, ideas and suggestions would be welcome. This is our first trip. Tentative departure 12/23 return 1/1 or 1/2.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#413 Post by Paul McCourt »

Milton Hudson wrote:Paul,
We're just about committed to Paris over Christmas this year. Actively planning and scoping. Any notes, ideas and suggestions would be welcome. This is our first trip. Tentative departure 12/23 return 1/1 or 1/2.
I'll be there the morning of 24th through the 29th, then moving over to Amsterdam for New Years.

I'll post or pm you anything that comes up that looks good. Kids, or no?

Milton Hudson

Adventures in Paris

#414 Post by Milton Hudson »

I will have my son and daughter. 21 and 16, but they enjoy adult everything including beverages.
Looking for accommodations now. Total of 5 people wife, son daughter and coworker of wife. Trying to find at least 3 bedrooms.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#415 Post by Paul McCourt »

Milton Hudson wrote:I will have my son and daughter. 21 and 16, but they enjoy adult everything including beverages.
Looking for accommodations now. Total of 5 people wife, son daughter and coworker of wife. Trying to find at least 3 bedrooms.
im with wife and 16 and 20 year old daughters

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#416 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Got in yesterday AM, but got sucked into the move (helped somebody ELSE carry a fridge down four flights of stairs) and didn't make the Tour de France parade.

We had our "Bon Voyage" picnic with several other families at Bois de Bolougne, which is a beautiful park on the NW edge of Paris, in the 16th. It's about 2x the size of Central Park, with walking trails, lakes and paddle boats - definitely worth a walk through if you're staying on that end of Paris. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_de_Boulogne We DID get to see the French Air Force flyover, with streaming blue, white and red smoke clouds. Fortunately, it worked better than the Bastille day attempt a couple of weeks back (https://pulptastic.com/bastille-day/)

We were sipping rose and playing football with the kids when one of buddies leaned over and said "damn, looks like it's a busy day for the ladies today!" I had no idea what he was talking about until he pointed out the row of white vans we passed when we walked in. Aside from being one of the most beautiful parks in Paris, Bois de Bolougne appears to be one of the best places to pick-up prostitutes, as well. First link is a great account of the park and it's "wild" side, the other is a bit more detailed and NSFW.

http://www.flockingsomewhere.com/hooker ... -boulogne/

https://www.vice.com/sv/article/4wbebg/ ... isment-876

Learn something new every day :D
Attachments
83D1A139-8A95-43DF-9C47-42CCCDD1DDA6.jpeg
83D1A139-8A95-43DF-9C47-42CCCDD1DDA6.jpeg (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
98AE074D-0323-4C87-8A8F-281DF2294B72.jpeg
98AE074D-0323-4C87-8A8F-281DF2294B72.jpeg (46.43 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
B2C1470D-2DE9-4DAB-821A-F68FAF703F2A.jpeg
B2C1470D-2DE9-4DAB-821A-F68FAF703F2A.jpeg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Instagram at @akgrill

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#417 Post by Neal.Mollen »

You took pictures of the wrong things, Andrew.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#418 Post by C. Mc Cart »

Neal.Mollen wrote:You took pictures of the wrong things, Andrew.

Were you hoping for the inside of a van? [wow.gif]
Chris

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Adventures in Paris

#419 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Neal.Mollen wrote:You took pictures of the wrong things, Andrew.
Fine. How’s this? One of my favorite wine bars, with quite a respectable cellar. Apps dish is foie grad, burrata and Jamon, salad with garden tomatoes. http://www.lesfinesgueules.fr
Attachments
B552813A-AA4D-48D6-BA4C-56CCB74BA37E.jpeg
B552813A-AA4D-48D6-BA4C-56CCB74BA37E.jpeg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
7D1A4F1C-C4D6-4305-ADFE-03422A260263.jpeg
7D1A4F1C-C4D6-4305-ADFE-03422A260263.jpeg (32.36 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
3BD28607-08F3-4641-B245-9F8A9B0EB325.jpeg
3BD28607-08F3-4641-B245-9F8A9B0EB325.jpeg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Instagram at @akgrill

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Adventures in Paris

#420 Post by Paul McCourt »

Milton Hudson wrote: July 28th, 2018, 11:49 am I will have my son and daughter. 21 and 16, but they enjoy adult everything including beverages.
I ended up VRBOing in Marais. Now to look for good wine store....all my wife wants to do is drink wine and eat bread and cheese.

My younger daughter is very excited that she can legally order wine with dinner.

Matt Fleming

#421 Post by Matt Fleming »

Paul McCourt wrote: August 17th, 2018, 2:04 pm
Milton Hudson wrote: July 28th, 2018, 11:49 am I will have my son and daughter. 21 and 16, but they enjoy adult everything including beverages.
I ended up VRBOing in Marais. Now to look for good wine store....all my wife wants to do is drink wine and eat bread and cheese.

My younger daughter is very excited that she can legally order wine with dinner.
simple: Caves du Marais, Rue Francois Miron. Owner knows his stuff, speaks very good English.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by Paul McCourt »

Great. Thanks!!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#423 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Seeing Robert Dentice's note that Chef Taku Sekine passing made me think about this thread.

Paris is like an ex-girlfriend for me... after a while, all you remember are the great things, and scrolling through this thread reminded me of just how many of them there were.

As a follow-on, I got a letter (in French, of course) last week, telling me that I owe my secondary French medical provider 125 euros because they errantly processed a payment two years ago and needed to pay immediately.

That's when I remembered... Paris is crazy :D
Instagram at @akgrill

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#424 Post by Michel Abood »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: September 29th, 2020, 4:05 pm Seeing Robert Dentice's note that Chef Taku Sekine passing made me think about this thread.

Paris is like an ex-girlfriend for me... after a while, all you remember are the great things, and scrolling through this thread reminded me of just how many of them there were.

As a follow-on, I got a letter (in French, of course) last week, telling me that I owe my secondary French medical provider 125 euros because they errantly processed a payment two years ago and needed to pay immediately.

That's when I remembered... Paris is crazy :D
Tell them to come get you. You'll get a free trip back to Paris, it'll only cost you 125 Euros, then you're free to wander through the City of Lights with barely any tourists. Win-win.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#425 Post by Mike Grammer »

he's not wrong, you know, Drew :) As long as that happens maybe 8 months from now.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#426 Post by M.Kaplan »

I feel like a fish out of water. This is the first time in 20 years that we aren’t in Paris this time of year. Our landlord is holding our deposit for next fall. Fingers crossed.
---Mark

IlkkaL

#427 Post by IlkkaL »

I can't even dream of being able to travel again with how the situation is developing in Europe but for sure I too feel the longing for Paris and France in general. Everyday on Instagram I come across of something that reminds me of my second home - most lately some posts from a restaurant called Le Villaret with a rather splendid cellar. I hope it's still there the next time I get to go to Paris!
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Greg Kramer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#428 Post by Greg Kramer »

IlkkaL wrote: October 1st, 2020, 11:50 pm I can't even dream of being able to travel again with how the situation is developing in Europe but for sure I too feel the longing for Paris and France in general. Everyday on Instagram I come across of something that reminds me of my second home - most lately some posts from a restaurant called Le Villaret with a rather splendid cellar. I hope it's still there the next time I get to go to Paris!
One of my favorite restaurants. Had dinner there on my last night during my last time in Paris (16 MONTHS AGO! 😢)
ITB - online retailer
VDLT Wine is a Community of wine lovers and small, artisanal wine producers

IlkkaL

#429 Post by IlkkaL »

Greg Kramer wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 6:20 am
IlkkaL wrote: October 1st, 2020, 11:50 pm I can't even dream of being able to travel again with how the situation is developing in Europe but for sure I too feel the longing for Paris and France in general. Everyday on Instagram I come across of something that reminds me of my second home - most lately some posts from a restaurant called Le Villaret with a rather splendid cellar. I hope it's still there the next time I get to go to Paris!
One of my favorite restaurants. Had dinner there on my last night during my last time in Paris (16 MONTHS AGO! 😢)
Sorry to hear that it's been so long for you but happy to get a confirmation that it is indeed a quality place. Now I am definitely going to go there as soon possible flirtysmile
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Greg Kramer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#430 Post by Greg Kramer »

Indeed, go! Fine food, the wine list is not only excellent but well-priced and the owner and staff are very gracious and accomodating. Only downside is the surrounding neighborhood is kind of blah.
ITB - online retailer
VDLT Wine is a Community of wine lovers and small, artisanal wine producers

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”