The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Post Reply
Message
Author
mark meyer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 95
Joined: October 22nd, 2009, 9:10 am

The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#1 Post by mark meyer » April 3rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

we saw a different show 2 yrs ago but if near St Remy/Les Baux I highly recommend you find a couple hours to see
this new Van Gogh show in the limestone quarry. Once in you can stay as long as you like and it generally takes at least
2 viewings to take it all in.


http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/en/home

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 820
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 7:30 am
Location: Detroit

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#2 Post by Jim Friedman » April 4th, 2019, 6:55 am

They have an indoor show in Paris we saw last August. It looks like they also currently offer the Van Gogh show. The quarry adds another dimension.
https://www.atelier-lumieres.com/en

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#3 Post by Matt Fleming » April 26th, 2019, 2:37 am

Indeed, fascinating viewing. the relationship between viewer and art is quite changed. I would think this isn't the primary way to view Van Gogh, but it is a fresh, fun, engaging way.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Steve Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 541
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#4 Post by Steve Anderson » April 26th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Will be there soon!
Delectable: Steve Anderson IG: steveandmisuk

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#5 Post by Matt Fleming » April 27th, 2019, 1:33 am

Definitely get your tickets ahead of time. Print them up, too. Cell / portable reception can be spotty.

I'd recommend the final viewing time as you don't overlap (as much) with earlier groups and parking around les Baux-de-Provence can be...interesting.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13617
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#6 Post by Jay Miller » May 2nd, 2019, 6:50 am

I had never heard about this. I'm now debating changing my vacation plans to try and make it to Provence.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#7 Post by Matt Fleming » May 2nd, 2019, 12:45 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 6:50 am
I had never heard about this. I'm now debating changing my vacation plans to try and make it to Provence.
If you are adjusting travel plans, make sure and check to see if one of their "soiree" nights is within your time frame. I really enjoyed taking photos of the Van Gogh.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13617
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#8 Post by Jay Miller » May 3rd, 2019, 5:58 am

Matt Fleming wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 12:45 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 6:50 am
I had never heard about this. I'm now debating changing my vacation plans to try and make it to Provence.
If you are adjusting travel plans, make sure and check to see if one of their "soiree" nights is within your time frame. I really enjoyed taking photos of the Van Gogh.
Do you have a link to that schedule? I just failed to find it on their website.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#9 Post by Matt Fleming » May 3rd, 2019, 7:47 am

Jay Miller wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 5:58 am
Matt Fleming wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 12:45 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 6:50 am
I had never heard about this. I'm now debating changing my vacation plans to try and make it to Provence.
If you are adjusting travel plans, make sure and check to see if one of their "soiree" nights is within your time frame. I really enjoyed taking photos of the Van Gogh.
Do you have a link to that schedule? I just failed to find it on their website.
https://carrieres-lumieres.tickeasy.com ... ation.aspx

Jay,

If you scroll down after clicking that link, you should see two soirees. I really wanted to see the integrale but couldn't make the dates work.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13617
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#10 Post by Jay Miller » May 3rd, 2019, 8:01 am

Thanks Matt! Both of those are earlier than our usual vacation time but we'll see how it goes. This year might end up being a wash with regards to vacation given how much time Arnold needed to spend with his dad in the hospital and now wrapping up his affairs.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Jerry Hey
Posts: 1244
Joined: January 26th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#11 Post by Jerry Hey » May 3rd, 2019, 8:17 am

There is a similar Van Gogh exhibit in Paris at Atelier des Lumieres.


User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4823
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#12 Post by M.Kaplan » May 3rd, 2019, 9:41 am

I saw the Klimt show last year at the Atelier des Lumieres. It was very cool and I plan to see the Van Gogh show in Paris later this year. I'm not sure it is worth traveling to Provence to see it projected in the quarry, but I'd certainly go if I was already nearby. YMMV.
---Mark

Cole Kendall
Posts: 745
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 7:58 am

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#13 Post by Cole Kendall » May 11th, 2019, 2:54 pm

We saw the Klimt/Hundertwasser show at the Atelier in Paris and it was fun; I would see the Van Gogh show if I can fit it in.

User avatar
Steve Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 541
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#14 Post by Steve Anderson » May 16th, 2019, 1:25 pm

We visited last week and can highly recommend this as well. Awesome experience. Can be a bit disorienting to start depending on the lighting (near total darkness when we first entered) and the uneven quarry floors as you walk around, but we got used to it quickly and became totally immersed in the light, art and music. We went on a Monday morning, so crowds weren't too bad, although parking was still a challenge. The adjacent village of Les Baux-de-Provence is also worth a couple of hours to explore, and I presume you could park in one of the village lots and walk the quarter mile or so to the venue if no other parking is available. Wish our photos turned out as well as Matt's above!

Cheers!

Steve
Delectable: Steve Anderson IG: steveandmisuk

User avatar
Jeremy Holmes
Posts: 6493
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#15 Post by Jeremy Holmes » May 22nd, 2019, 12:18 am

Saw the Van Gogh at Atelier a few weeks ago. Terrific!
ITB

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#16 Post by Matt Fleming » May 22nd, 2019, 5:06 am

Steve Anderson wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 1:25 pm
We visited last week and can highly recommend this as well. Awesome experience. Can be a bit disorienting to start depending on the lighting (near total darkness when we first entered) and the uneven quarry floors as you walk around, but we got used to it quickly and became totally immersed in the light, art and music. We went on a Monday morning, so crowds weren't too bad, although parking was still a challenge. The adjacent village of Les Baux-de-Provence is also worth a couple of hours to explore, and I presume you could park in one of the village lots and walk the quarter mile or so to the venue if no other parking is available. Wish our photos turned out as well as Matt's above!

Cheers!

Steve
You are too kind Steve. I was walking around with a 1DX so a chimp would have succeeded. Simple dump into photoshop and then a mac's ap and you have a decent slideshow -- even the default music worked out.


User avatar
Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9151
Joined: October 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm
Location: Home of the Mayo Clinic

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#17 Post by Chris Blum » May 22nd, 2019, 5:16 am

What lens did you use?
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#18 Post by Matt Fleming » May 23rd, 2019, 1:13 pm

Chris Blum wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 5:16 am
What lens did you use?
Canon 16-35 f4, which I am pretty sure is still the step below their L glass (and frankly after borrowing a friend's, I don't think the L is worth the price bump for the wide angle). cf / chimp.

User avatar
Michael Ferris
Posts: 1507
Joined: July 14th, 2009, 4:46 am

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#19 Post by Michael Ferris » June 2nd, 2019, 3:41 pm

This is the most amazing thing ever! Thank you for sharing and enlightening me.

mark meyer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 95
Joined: October 22nd, 2009, 9:10 am

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#20 Post by mark meyer » June 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm

on parking-if u go via the route to the west of St Remy and drop down Les Alpilles there is plenty of parking by the side of the road-especially in the morning. Most people go S out of St Remy which is very much the tourist route. Go in the morning and then have lunch at Chateau des Alpilles outdoors-this is also via the W route.
https://chateaudesalpilles.com/

mark meyer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 95
Joined: October 22nd, 2009, 9:10 am

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#21 Post by mark meyer » June 7th, 2019, 5:52 pm

matt

great slide show-it runs thru dec 2020 so we were intending on going back next yr-but u may have changed our minds. Plus I have some wine being held by a friend in St Remy.

Last yrs show featured Stairway to Heaven as the final song-by orchestra.

J. D'Antonio
Posts: 290
Joined: July 21st, 2010, 8:02 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#22 Post by J. D'Antonio » June 7th, 2019, 10:19 pm

The show at Atelier was pretty awesome. Even the other presentations that bookended the Van Gogh show were cool.

Now if only people would put their phones away and watch the show instead of filming/taking photos, they might actually have a good experience. The walls are something like 40ft high. How are you going to match that scale on your tiny phone screen, or get the same experience by looking at your phone instead of what is being projected?
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#23 Post by Matt Fleming » June 8th, 2019, 2:29 am

mark meyer wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm
on parking-if u go via the route to the west of St Remy and drop down Les Alpilles there is plenty of parking by the side of the road-especially in the morning. Most people go S out of St Remy which is very much the tourist route. Go in the morning and then have lunch at Chateau des Alpilles outdoors-this is also via the W route.
https://chateaudesalpilles.com/
And if heading to St. Remy the Roman remains at Glanum are quite close. It is an easy site to visit, not demanding of a huge amount of time. The view to the north after the hike up alone is worth it. In good cool weather the Alps loom magnificently.

I got a kick out of the bicyclists coming down the switchback slopes, full out. Considering the tourist traffic I judge them braver than me!

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#24 Post by Matt Fleming » June 8th, 2019, 2:32 am

mark meyer wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 5:52 pm
matt

great slide show-it runs thru dec 2020 so we were intending on going back next yr-but u may have changed our minds. Plus I have some wine being held by a friend in St Remy.

Last yrs show featured Stairway to Heaven as the final song-by orchestra.
They really do a fantastic job of digital editing. And the artistic sensibility seems of a high nature, to me. Well chosen juxtapositions, well thought out placement of individual paintings within le carrière.

Matt Fleming
Posts: 181
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#25 Post by Matt Fleming » June 8th, 2019, 2:43 am

J. D'Antonio wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Now if only people would put their phones away and watch the show instead of filming/taking photos, they might actually have a good experience. The walls are something like 40ft high. How are you going to match that scale on your tiny phone screen, or get the same experience by looking at your phone instead of what is being projected?
I am half tempted to agree with you, and this is coming from a fairly serious amateur. Even the best phones in low light will have difficulty in capturing quality images. And those which are decent are good for small scale internet replication and little else (good luck editing them). Certainly the ubiquity of portables/handis/cells can be annoying and in some situations you wonder just what people think they can achieve. I never take photos of plates in restaurants, for example. Nor take shots in museums. Pretty much every museum has everything reproduced in hi-res online anyway.

Counterpoint: at les Carrières you can watch one entire show and photograph the next. That's what I did. And I try my damnedest to not let what others are doing bother my enjoyment.

mark meyer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 95
Joined: October 22nd, 2009, 9:10 am

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#26 Post by mark meyer » June 8th, 2019, 5:20 am

And if heading to St. Remy the Roman remains at Glanum are quite close. It is an easy site to visit, not demanding of a huge amount of time. The view to the north after the hike up alone is worth it. In good cool weather the Alps loom magnificently.


We love the hike that starts just past the Asylum where Van Gogh spent 1 yr and goes along the E side of the Glanum ruins. At the top go along the fire road to the E and there is a rock formation a bit off the road to the N with 2 big openings-great photo op looking N over St Remy towards Avignon. There is also a summit facing S where one can see the Med on a clear day. The tour of the Asylum is also worthwhile and the quarries the Romans used for Glanum are also along the track-used to be able to wonder around inside.

J. D'Antonio
Posts: 290
Joined: July 21st, 2010, 8:02 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

#27 Post by J. D'Antonio » June 9th, 2019, 12:49 am

Matt Fleming wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 2:43 am
J. D'Antonio wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Now if only people would put their phones away and watch the show instead of filming/taking photos, they might actually have a good experience. The walls are something like 40ft high. How are you going to match that scale on your tiny phone screen, or get the same experience by looking at your phone instead of what is being projected?
I am half tempted to agree with you, and this is coming from a fairly serious amateur. Even the best phones in low light will have difficulty in capturing quality images. And those which are decent are good for small scale internet replication and little else (good luck editing them). Certainly the ubiquity of portables/handis/cells can be annoying and in some situations you wonder just what people think they can achieve. I never take photos of plates in restaurants, for example. Nor take shots in museums. Pretty much every museum has everything reproduced in hi-res online anyway.

Counterpoint: at les Carrières you can watch one entire show and photograph the next. That's what I did. And I try my damnedest to not let what others are doing bother my enjoyment.
I thoroughly enjoyed the show and what other people were doing didn't affect me. I felt more sad for them that they were missing out on fully experiencing such a fantastic presentation.
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

Post Reply

Return to “Travel Forum”