'09 Le Bon Pasteur.....here we go

Alfert and I are going to have a good old fashion taste off against Jeff…may the best taster win!!..and if for some reason that doesn’t happen then we will be happy to congratulate Jeff! [haha.gif] :stuck_out_tongue:

Jeff does have a great site though fo sho! [thumbs-up.gif]

Any kind of blood sport would be welcome, even if I watch you guys spit it out.

Did you have the 1990 Bon Pasteur and did you consider that in the same vein? Even in the 2000 was starting to be on the ripe side, and maybe also more generic than the 1990, but I don’t think they are all the same.

The word on the streets of Catusseau is that with the decline of Parker, Rolland’s influence has really plummeted.
I am far more impressed as a consultant and more interesting guy in Stephane Derenoncourt.

Marc,

why do you buy a wine when you know you dislike the winemaker and the style of the wine?

Good point Jurgen…Though, I do keep numerous new world style wine for my non-traditional friends and the Mrs…as I am sure many others do too.

I actually expected to like this on some level, but that never developed on any level.

I have bought plenty of wines with good intentions, and later I found out I didn’t like the style, or my tastes changed, or the style changed. I bought and sold, thankfully, many Parker/Rolland jam bombs. I still own a few and will pull one out occasionally. Marc said he was inspired by high alcohol chatter on the boards and wanted to pull one. I might “go low” every once in a while. Heck I keep wanting to like Grange, as I bought quite a few bottles in the past. I just cannot make them work! I wonder when he purchased this bottle?

I bought them about 5 yrs ago
…figured for the price it was worth a shot…even though I prefer traditional style wine, I can tolerate and find some enjoyment in some more international style wine, but this just had no redeeming qualities at all…clearly this was no bad bottle, but rather something unpleasurable to taste or recognize as Bordeaux…its unfortunate

Let me see, a warm very ripe vintage and a property not just consulted by but actually owned by Rolland.

It is going to be an extreme wine, and pretty unappealing to many on the board, but there are certainly people who do love it. I can’t remember tasting it, but based on many of his wines, suspect it is “not my cup of tea.”

Wish I had a bottle of the 1990 again. Gorgeous wine that any Pomerol lover would like…

Rolland is somewhat the anti-christ of this board since I was here for the first time. At least for many. I actually have tasted the 09 Le Bon Pasteur but have no detailed memory. Will look if I find the tasting note. His Fronsac Fontenil is a wine I loved in almost any vintage. And I have tasted many. A recent 1998 in a restaurant was still very much alive and balanced. No heat and no overblown oak. Certainly a very well made wine in my book. To a remarkable fair price.

Indeed, usually a lovely wine… made by his wife Dany Rolland, fortunately.

I know nothing about Bordeaux, but I know I don’t like one dimensional jam bombs - and I’ve heard all about the Parker/Rolland legacy. So what is a REAL Bordeaux? They must have fresh, Atlantic wines, given the geography.

Maybe a real Bordeaux is one that is not influenced by short-term trends such as Parker, but continue to follow traditions that have been in their family for hundreds of years.

A 2000 Bon Pasteur I had at a wine dinner recently blew all other bottles away. Table consensus.

Carl… I’ve had Bon Pasteur back to 1959. Almost every wine has changed since 1990. That’s 30 years ago. I really liked 90 Bon Pasteur. I think the 09 is a better wine.

Sorry but I think it’s silly to say that. The number of multi century family held vineyards is a tiny handful or two.

Not sure what you’re basing that on. Rolland has lost a few clients and gained others. Most of what Rolland does is work on the blending. He’s still a very powerful, liked and revered oenologist.

Bordeaux is hardly the home of one-dimensional fruit bombs. Bordeaux produces a myriad of wines at various levels of price, quality, character and style. Instead of relying on what you read here, from any poster, you should actually try some and decide for yourself.

Which Dererencourt wines specifically?

My impression is that he is an incredibly nice guy, but based on a tasting which featured all the wines he consulted for, there was incredible sameness to them, whether it was a Bordeaux or a wine from Virginia.