1978 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard

microclimates510.jpg

ummm… [drinkers.gif]

1 Like

Glenn - I walked the entire property this past Saturday with the winemaker. Amazing space. I think the property was purchased for $120k in 1966!

I bet that was an awesome stroll! For my 50th we opened the VH, GM & RRT from that great run of 1984-87 in one night. Of the 12 bottles only one was a bit askew, and the 84s stole the show that night. We did not have either the 84 or 87 Lake though.

Come down this wed, we’re drinking this and some other goodies.

[resizeableimage=400,500]https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/17125747_744164835751519_4181928949384740864_n.jpg[/resizeableimage]

I’ll give you fifteen bucks for it.

i wish i can make it work, that would be fun to try. hope it shows well for you guys. [cheers.gif]

$315.00 more like it.

John Gilman has just reviewed a raft of 1978 Californian Cab wines in the latest issue of View from the Cellar… He called Diamond Creek’s Volcanic Hill “One of the iconic cabernets of this legendary era in California history”. He gave it a drinking window of 2017-2050+!

1 Like

Had a bottle of the '78 VH on New Year’s Eve; the last '78 DC I had before that was probably 10 years ago. The VH is still young, and really one of the best California Cabernets I’ve ever had. Just delicious.

From what I understand Lake wasn’t actually planted with the intention of ever making wine. I was told (at the winery IIRC) that it was intended as decoration but that initial experimental bottlings (for the auction?) made Al change his mind.

Missed this when I posted. Good to have some confirmation of the story I’ve been repeating.

Yes, I drink Diamond Creek as often as I can and there isn’t any reason to seek out the Lake, IMO. It’s about scarcity, hence a higher tariff.

Some more background on the legend from John Tilson, Underground Wine Letter:

Here is what I had to say about the 1978 Diamond Creek Lake shortly after bottling:

“…As fate would have it at this early stage the Lake seems the best of the 1978 Diamond Creek Cabernets. In blind tastings on two occasions, the 1978 Lake bested all the Cabernets reviewed in this issue and was the only wine to be rated Outstanding. So it is with mixed emotions that we review the wine here. On the one hand, it is most unfortunate that so little wine exists and that so few will be able to taste it. While we usually can’t take responsibility for the small quantity produced of some really great wines, this is the exception. For this, we are to be either loved or hated. Under either circumstance, tasting notes on the wine follow.

1978 Cabernet Sauvignon ‘Lake.’ With a dark color and a deeply perfumed, ripe, fruity/cedary/ sandalwood nose this wine has loads of fruit with great depth of flavor. It is already showing some cedary flavor complexities and is beautifully balanced and very long on the palate.”

Today the 1978 Diamond Creek Lake is absolutely stunning. It is, for me, certainly one of the very best, if not the best, of all Cabernets produced in California in the late seventies to late eighties period. Today, it is a luscious and seductive with a great depth of flavor and exquisite balance. And, it is likely to remain so for decades to come. Alas, there are likely only a miniscule number of bottles remaining of the original 300 bottles produced. But, this was the very first Lake and since then it has been produced in only 13 vintages. There are many great Lake bottlings in this group (to see notes on some vintages of Lake recently tasted click here), but the 1978 is the first and still the best of all.

Below is the story of The Underground discovery of Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard as taken from Diamond Creek’s website. (To read the entire article featuring a complete history of Diamond Creek, notes on many vintages and wines, and a great dinner with Diamond Creek wines click here)

“…When John and Laurie Tilson, Ed Lazarus and Geoffrey Troy first visited in the early 1970s, the Diamond Creeks were controversial. Wrong climate for Cabernet, too tannic, and too expensive ($7.50 per bottle retail) were often heard comments. The first vintage, 1972, they bought, tasted and loved the Volcanic Hill. Ditto the 1973. Then the widely heralded 1974s (probably overrated with a few exceptions including Diamond Creek). The 1975, the drought years of 1976 and 1977, and the fantastic 1978s, including the first bottling of Lake — ultra rare, only one barrel or 25 cases produced. In order, the 1975 vintage produced yet another great Volcanic Hill that has proven better than the more acclaimed 1974 which is still a great wine, as is the 1974 Red Rock Terrace. The star of the difficult 1976 and 1977 drought years is Gravelly Meadow. Both wines are among the all-time great Cabernets of the 1970s. Then came 1978.

Again, John and Laurie Tilson, Ed Lazarus and Geoffrey Troy were there to taste from barrel and Al gave them the keys to the cellar, glasses and a wine thief (for extracting the wine from barrel). Tasting the three different vineyards from barrel, they knew they were in the midst of greatness. Never before had they experienced such profound Cabernet from barrel. Sampling different barrels of the vineyards, everything was uniformly great. And, near the end of the tasting, they came across a barrel stamped “Lake.” Not knowing what it was they decided to “give it a shot.” Wow! Off the charts. Here they are reveling in the midst of the greatest Cabernets they’ve ever tasted from barrel and this one barrel stands out as the ne plus ultra. They retasted Red Rock Terrace, Volcanic Hill and Gravelly Meadow against the Lake, even mixing them up and tasting them blind. The results were simply astounding. Where did the ‘Lake’ come from?

Rejoining Al, he asked how they liked the wines. Their response was ‘Your best ever! But what is Lake?’ ‘Oh that,’Al responded. ‘It’s a little vineyard of less than one acre that has trouble ripening in some years. When it ripens it’s such a small amount we blend it with Gravelly Meadow.’ The group responded, ‘this is the best wine in the cellar. You’ve got to bottle it separately.’ Al answered, ‘I’m already being criticized for having three different vineyard bottlings based on the differences in soil and climate in the vineyard. What would people say if I added another, and only one barrel. It does not seem worth it.’ They persisted, ‘First, who cares what people say. What counts is what’s in the bottle. Since 1972, you have proven the wisdom of the three vineyard bottlings and now that you have a great vintage with the Lake vineyard you should bottle it. Second, having only one barrel is a high class problem. It’s your best wine. Great wines are often produced in very small quantities. And, it is, after all, still Diamond Creek and can only serve to further your reputation as a great Cabernet producer who continues to confound all the critics. Go for it!’

Al, a man of forceful opinion, simply smiled and replied with a ”well….I dunno.’ ‘Well we do,’ they said. ‘If you won’t bottle it separately, how about selling it to us? We wouldn’t even need a label!’ A secret as it were. By now Al’s wheels were turning. ‘You guys really want to buy the whole barrel?’ he asked. ‘Yes, what do you want for it?,’ the four replied. ‘I’m not sure,’ he said and they continued their conversation. As they left, one parting shot: ‘What about the “Lake?’ ‘Well, I’m thinking maybe I will bottle it. Do you really like it that much?’ ‘Yes!’ The rest is history. Al bottled the 1978 Lake and a case was sold at the second Napa Wine Auction for the then record price of $5,400. Today it has evolved to become one of the most profound California Cabernets ever made….”

Ahh, what does Gilman know?

J/K - my fav wine reviewer.

You guys are getting me so hyped for the 78 diamond creek VH we are opening on wed.

Come down this wed, we’re drinking this and some other goodies.

[resizeableimage=400,500]https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/17125747_744164835751519_4181928949384740864_n.jpg[/resizeableimage][/quote][/quote]

killing me with that bottle Charlie. :frowning:

The price on this is even more outlandish than the DC lake

1979 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District
SKU #1297069
Auction FAQ/Terms and Conditions
Description: Bid on this bottle of 1979 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District (92WS). Wine Spectator: “Quite rich, firm and concentrated, even tannic, but the fruit’s quite impressive, with intense currant, cherry, coffee and cedar notes.–1979 California Cabernet retrospective. (JL)” (08/1999)
Current Bid: $503.69

I’ve had the 78 VH twice over this past year. It is a wonderful, soul satisfying wine.

Had it last night. Slow ox for about three hours and enjoyed over four. What an amazing wine. Still so much stuffing and youth behind it. Top 3 napa cabs I’ve ever had. Only 74/76 heitz Martha are above it but this was a monster of a wine.

I recently found a magnum of '77 DC Gravelly Meadow. Plan on opening it for my 40th birthday later this year. Can’t wait!

Also, as a note, just saw another bottle or two of the '78 Lake pop up on an upcoming auction from Acker.