1978 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard

http://video.winespectator.com/play/id/5194370856001/name/Diamond_Creek_Cabernet:_A_Life_in_Wine

Charlie got one of seven 1978 Diamond Creek bottles from perfect provenance with neck fills in the Berserker Day in Part 1 of the UCD ā€œProfessorā€/Curators Cellar Sale. The original sale labels were on the bottles and I left them on for amusement/educational purposes.
Al is no doubt smiling about the 3600% appreciationā€“he liked pushing Napa Cab prices upward and releasing a year ahead of other producers.
Diamond Creek had the largest, early cult following of any Napa Cab and he took advantage of it. We sold more DC across the US than anyone else wholesale, or retail, at the Marin Wine Cellar in the 80ā€™s We had a very special relationship with him and got the lionā€™s share year after year. The mag sets and the 3.0 Lā€™s created major feeding frenzies.
Charlie, please let me know how the wine held up in that cellarā€“I have a tasting scheduled with three of the other bottles coming up shortly, one VH and two GMs

Whoā€™s invited?

Out of all the DCs Iā€™ve had, the 16 Lake was my favorite. I backed the truck up for it ha.

The 2018 Lake was offered last year. Was way out of my price, especially compared to the regular futures offerings. Iā€™d rather get 2 Volcanic Hill or Gravelly Meadow.

2018 Lake, 750mL ~ $570
2018 Lake, 1.5 Liter ~ $1,240
2018 Lake, 3 Liter ~ $2,480
2018 Lake, 6 Liter ~ $4,960

Got the offer for the 18ā€™ Lake as well and passed. Just too rich for me.

Never had the Lake, but loved the Volcanic Hill and Gravelly Meadow in 1978.

Ya thatā€™s why I didnā€™t pick any 18 up. Got the 3L 16 in 2019 for 1600.

Kinda bummed about '19 futures going up again after the big price hike in '18 futures. Had to pass, and seeing them come on the secondary at or below future prices doesnā€™t make me feel any rush to get them. Iā€™m assuming theyā€™ll go up again next year at this rate. I wonder who the benchmark for pricing is theyā€™re trying to reach or if they just need to recoup a lot of investment value from the purchaseā€¦

Ya I agree Iā€™m sadly passing this year knowing I can pick up my faves (gravelly and volcanic) and pay at or below direct to consumer price for a few bottles without having to buy red rock.