2001 Suduiraut Sauternes

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: There’s a huge difference between many 01 Sauternes and the top 01 Sauternes. Rieussec, Suduiraut, Fargues, Yquem are just superlative, heads and shoulders above the others from that year (though the others are not slouching). To date, the 01 Suduiraut and the 01 Fargues are drinking the best. The 01 Suduiraut is actually the only vintage from that producer that has truly wowed me.

Alan, if you have more than a couple, the 01 Suduiraut is very approachable now. It has never shut down for my palate, and it has the most exquisite balance.

Love the '01 Suduiraut. Someone brought one to an OL on my birthday in either 2005 or 2006 and I fell in love with it so I went out and bought a few. The laser sharp acidity coupled with the apricots and tropical fruits cut straight through the sweetness. I then met Alois Kracher and talked to him about that wine versus one of his, which I thought was just one tiny notch (let’s say a half a point if you want to go that way) below. He recommended that I sell everything I own and buy 2001 Yquem. Unfortunately, I did not listen to him, but I did pick up another 6 bottles of the 2001 Suduiraut.

I have opened 4 and I think I gifted one. They have all been wonderful. I have 4 left and I want to see them develop into at least middle age, so I am keeping my hands off. I agree with Ashish that it has never shut down. I have never noticed petrol. Always tropical citrus with sharp acidity.

I’ll weigh in too. I guess I’ve been good, I haven’t opened one since 2010. At that time, Ashish, it had, in fact, shut down hard for me—I’d Audouzed a halfsie for 2 days and it was still hiding almost everything—and I recommended keeping everything bottled for at least another 7 years.

I still love pretty much every 2001 I’ve had, but agree that the top are a level above (although I’ve never cottoned on to de Fargues from this year). They are also, for me, at different stages of open…the 01 Climens, last tried last year—fair enough, I didn’t get a chance to do any decanting or aeration, but it was a crying shame to have it and only taste and smell potential. The 01 La Tour Blanche (which I might argue is very near or at the top) and the 01 D’Yquem (which I did give 4 days of air to) were both amazing.

I definitely have a half-bottle reserved for a Suduiraut vertical next year, but may have to open one sooner than that, based on all these evil observations.

If you haven’t yet had it, Jay, the 2001 D’Yquem is the first and only perfect bottle (well, half-bottle) of wine I’ve ever had.

Cheers,

Mike

My observation that it hadn’t shut down was based on the half that we shared a few years ago, and then I opened a full bottle about 6 months ago that was just as spectacular. Certainly, these wines at this age benefit from days of air, but I wouldn’t necessarily call that shut down.

I’ve tried the 01 Climens once, but I think it was heat damaged. So that’s still the one that I’m missing. You should have told me that you hadn’t tried the 01 Fargues! I have plenty and would have brought a half to our dinner.

The 01 La Tour Blanche has been delicious and open for business from Day 1, based on my experience. I’ve held off opening any of the 01 Suduiraut. I do want to do an 01 Sauternes horizontal somewhere down the road…

Bruce

I’d suggest La Tour Blanche and Climens for that that list as well.

I saw on another thread somewhere that Buzzini had good things to say about the 2nd of Suduiraut from that year. I didn’t know they made one, but will make a mild hunt for it. I too generally prefer other estates to Suduiraut (at its price point) but that 2001 is a real standout.

Well, I still have three of the six Suduiraut so I will have to open one soon.

Thanks Nancy. I have several 375s of this. Will have to at least dig one of them up (backhoe required).

The 2001 Rieussec is still one of the greatest sweet wines I have ever tried. The Suduiraut was also delicious when I last had it, but not in the same league.

2001 La Tour Blanche is a guilty pleasure!

+1

I have one 750 left of the '01 Yquem. I think I’ll sell it once it hits $1k/btl.

You may be waiting a while. I don’t think the price is increasing from its current level anytime soon. Maybe in a few decades once it’s ready to drink.

It is time the Chinese start to drink Sauternes champagne.gif
During my last visit I was surprised by the big stocks of older vintages on almost every Chateau.

I have very few reference points for Sauternes, but recently procured two bottles of the 2001 Suduiraut. I didn’t note any petrol nose (though rather oddly when I looked back at my notes I wrote “kombucha”). Apricot with a very honeyed nose, one of the more intense mouth experiences with a burst of sugar and acid, with almond, orange rind, creme brûlée, and more apricot. Very very good, though I think I didn’t give it enough time and drinking it over the course of a few days would have shown it had more to give.

Shortly before having the 2001, I tried the 1982 and therefore had that in the forefront of my mind whilst drinking the 01. Much lower-toned, with caramel apple, toffee, burnt marshmallows, but still with enough acid and some fresh fruit notes like pineapple. I really liked the deeper, caramelized sugar aspect. Given that, I’ve squirreled away my remaining 01.

Good note, Abby. Welcome to the land of the Berserk!

Yes, welcome Abby and thanks for chiming in. Chae, up here you could easily get north of $1k for a full. Bruce, I have that dream too, probably 5 years from now.

And Ashish, yes, that bottle had been open for at least a day with some sampling. And don’t worry—I have had the 01 de Fargues, it just didn’t impress me in the way the other tops have.

Mike

Not saying this is as good as the top sauternes but I’ve enjoyed chateau myrat’s sticky. And very nicely priced.

I remember Michael Broadbent referring to the 2001 Sauternes “as a vintage to lay down for your grandchildren.” When released, Parker had Yquem at 100, Rieussec at 99, and Suduiraut at 98 points. I had the 01 Suduiraut from a 375 about a year ago and it was the most complete Sauternes I had ever experienced. I haven’t tried the 01 Rieussec as of yet, but I’m itching to do so.

Don’t be surprised if you like the Suduiraut better. I find that the Suduiraut and the Fargues are the best drinking 01s right now. The Rieussec is a tad oaky, which is standard for young Rieussecs. It may blossom into something better than the Suduiraut in 10-20 years, or it may not. Same goes for the Yquem… it may be better in 20-50 years. But for drinking now… buy more Suduiraut and some Fargues.

The Rieussec was so mind-blowing on release that I went through 7 of my 12 bottles!

I have only two fulls of Rieussec and no plans to open either of them for some time yet :wink:

Myrat can often punch way above its price class, depending on the vintage. 07 was another good 'un for them. When I last tasted Rieussec and Suduiraut side-by-side 7 years ago, it was a pick 'em horserace.

I found out about Myrat when Francois Audouze mentioned it in the Udder board.