2005 v 2006 Allemand Reynard

I just don’t find the wines as polished from the 90s as they are now. The wines aren’t as bright and sauve. They are delicious wines no doubt but I think as a complete wine the last ten plus vintages have been out of the ballpark.

I definitely don’t think they were wild and rustic in the 90s. Just a little less focused is all, still delicious wines. I know I’m not alone in this sentiment.

I never said pre 04 allemand sucked. I just find them better now than before. They were still very good but not with the same elegance and polish as they do now.

Juge is another producer that I found really variable in the 80s/90s bottlings but absolutely rocking 03 on (outside of the 04 Olga). But what I’ve been told was there was a change in vineyard sourcing in 99 that necessitated a change in style as well. But if you don’t like juge… I dunno man :wink:

We will definitely have to agree to disagree on the MG :smiley:. For some reason I’ve been inundated in the past couple of years with back vintage Gibourg at tastings/gatherings from all different sources (with one friend with at least 300+ bottles of assorted MG from the 80s to early 90s) Maybe in their youth they were nice but from AOC up to grand cru dating back to 83 they been a bit too typical to me outside of a small handful of bottlings.

Nathan, when you write about Juge, it surprises me. On which wines and vintages is this based?

[quote=“Jay Miller”]**And many thanks to nathan who introduced me to the wines at a long ago dinner at Inside restaurant around 20 years ago when he opened some 1994s.[/**quote]

I suppose by 6 degrees of separation, I’ll have to add my +1 on this. That’s because Jay brought one of my first early Allemand, a 1995 Reynard, to a dinner tasting many, many moons ago, that certainly added to my fascination with his wines then.

Well Verset sold different parcels over a period of time from 2000-2003, and then made his last official vintage with what remained in 2005 or 2006. I can’t remember exactly when Allemand acquired his vines from Verset, but I would not be surprised if that was in the 2000-2003 period, which is another interesting point to consider in evaluating Charlie’s reaction about the 2004s. Perhaps more interesting than the point about the barrels.

According to Rare Wine Co., Verset sold a parcel of Reynard to Allemand in the late 1980s.

A little vague with the historical documentation online, but it appears that Allemand was working for both Michel and Verset in the late 80’s, and that’s when Verset decided to wind down and start selling off his vineyards. It appears that at that point in the late 80s when Verset’s Reynard parcel was sold to Allemand.

Ahh, okay, it is certainly possible Verset sold some vines to Allemand much earlier than he sold his other parcels when he eventually decided to wind it down for good in the early- to mid-2000s. That would mean it is likely not the Verset vines that explain Charlie’s reaction to the 2004 and later Allemand wines, so we are back to the barrels for an explanation, if there is one at all.

Charlie just prefers oak and likes to drink them young? [stirthepothal.gif]

Formative. Tons from the 80s through the 90s. Cuvée C, SC what have you. I have them from time to time in the contemporary era and I like them just fine, just not enough to seek them out. I’m much more interested in what Eric is up to, for example (and I’m biased in this regard, I know). I have another producer I’m following more closely than I did in the past, but hesitate to out them.

Banned for withholding valuable information.

:wink:

My bottle of Chaillots was quite elegant. Maybe it doesn’t have the same silkiness of fruit that the newer vintages have (and who knows why that is) but no one at the table would describe it as clunky. How many angels can fance on the ehad of a pin anyway.

My Juge opinions formed with the 80s and 90s but I’ve had the wines since. For me they were a clear step below Verset, Clape and Allemand and even Michel. Again, they’re good but I’m focused elsewhere. How much syrah can one family drink?

Oh, I think there is a general consensus that the sisters wines are a significant step up from the father. It’s just that I was weaned on the wines and while they were different they could also be excellent. More blocky in the style of the time (this is true for almost everyone).

Would this be in JLL? I don’t own it.

This is useful history and would most likely explain the differences to me. My basis for comparison is 2001 => 2012 vintages. The 01’s are very good. If I were offered one, I’d happily drink it. But for the same money, I’d rather drink an '06 and, with more age, an '09, '10 or '12.

What I notice about the '01s is they don’t have quite the same depth & polish of some of these later vintages. The absence of a Reynard parcel would be a very plausible explanation for the difference. In that same vein, the other thing I notice about the '06’s is not so much daylight between the Chaillot and the Reynard vs those same two wines in 2012. Again, being short one Reynard parcel would seem to make sense.

Don’t need to out them. I could probably guess one of about a handful but I won’t.

So it must be a stylistic thing re: Juge. But still this is interesting given your palate and how good I think the wines have been since the mid-90s.

I’ve wondered what is going into the single wine he makes now, beyond just his best old vines as reported on Polaner’s site. I think it is probably the oldest vines that were previously used for the SC bottling before 2002. Eric probably knows. Maybe Charlie does.

Great post and thread, Charlie. Your description of 05 vs 06 is exactly the way I would expect the wines to show right now (with the caveat that, precisely because of this, I haven’t touched any of my few 05s since release, though I have tasted them once or twice in the interim).

As for 2001, 2004, changes in vineyard sources, barrels or winemaking, I can’t offer much of value. Except that the times I have had 2004 and 2001 side by side, I always felt 2001 to be the stronger vintage, with 2004 being one of Allemand’s (slightly) more refined and elegatnt performances. I had 2006 and 2000 together at a dinner last year, where the 2000 was right up there with the 2006. A 99 Chaillot in 2014 was still beautifully youthful, vibrant, with great acidity. I guess I’m saying that I can’t draw any conclusions about changes over that period between, say, 99 and 04.

Keep in mind that the “Reynard” and “Chaillot” bottlings don’t necessarily contain only fruit from the named vineyards. Allemand considers Reynard to be “old vines”, and Chaillot “young vines”. So younger fruit from either vineyard may go into Chaillot, and older fruit from either vineyard may go into Reynard. Now, I suspect that the base wine mostly matches its vineyard name, but it’s hard to know for sure.

Someone can correct me if i’m wrong but this is what I was told by someone “in the know”. So I do not know how accurate it is.

When Marcel retired in the late 90s he had to give up some of his vineyards and basically only had his coteaux from 99-02. That’s why you don’t see any regular cornas bottles from that period. Then after 04 when Olga decided she didn’t want to make wine, I guess they sold the Combe vineyard that made up coteaux. He was sold vineyards in a separate area of Cayret & Champelrose (than his original vines) back in 03, in which he made a wine and continued to make wine from 05.

Who knows how much of it is accurate.

Anyway, the 2014 Allemand Chaillots was young and primary but incredibly impressive. As good as the wines from the '90s.

[dead-horse.gif]

Wonder if Burgundians follow this model of putting whatever-the-hell-they-want into bottles? [wow.gif]