2008 Salon

If Rob Rosania’s not buying, they hucked up.

Hard pass for anyone I have asked. May still Selma thru them all, if they do, kudos.

I’d rather have 5 cases (!) of '08 Dom.

sounds like the house has badly miscalculated. Doubt any retailer would buy the set and break it up (like 88 DRC) since the baggage wouldn’t sell.

Other vintages can be had for $500 so they want essentially 5k for a mag of 2008! I wouldn’t be a player at 1/2 the asking price and I’m sure many others wouldn’t either. Seems like they are after the price doesn’t matter crowd, so they might as well shoot for the stars.

Yikes!

Smh

The opposite Alan. I had 75 cases and they were gone in 20 minutes. Asked for more but all 8000 were gone. I could sell easily 100 cases more. And i know that the price is high…so the house did it all right i suppose

Where are you located? I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell your customers.

In Holland Pat. I asked the importers of Belgium and Germany for extra Cases but sadly also sold out.

that is just crazy and beyond my comprehension.

It’s not wine, they’ve chosen to make it a status symbol and I have no interest anymore, basically at any price. What is the opposite of FOMO?

Surprises me slightly as well (being from Belgium). I have a though time imagining sophisticated buyers going for this. Whether it’s true or not, I can’t tell.

I’m not surprised at all. Rousseau Chambertin “retails” for $3-4,000 in many places, so if you love Champagne and think of Salon as at that level, in a very limited vintage, and you have the money, you pay. Lots of conditions in that sentence, but I’m not that surprised many people meet them :slight_smile:

As far as I can see, there is a big demand gap between Champagne and Burgundy. Not really surprised about Burgundy, but I know no one who buys Champagne at this level. But maybe I am living in a parallel universum.

To be honest…i am surprised that you are surprised. Perfect marketing strategy. A lot of buyers buy as an investment. I am quitte sure this case will do 10K in a few years so i can’t blame them. La Tache 2016 was very expensive en primeur but everybody who had the chance went “all in”…not for drinking them…

Didn’t work out so well for those who spent $35k+ upon release for '95 Clos d’Ambonnay as an investment.

It also turned out to be a terrible marketing strategy.

Case out of London $8700+

I don’t know anyone buying at that level either, but with “only” 8000 cases I can absolutely see enough people pulling the trigger. I’m far from suggesting it’s a great investment and expect to see quite a bit of Salon 07 selling for a discount at auction soon :wink:

Feels a lot like we saw with some wines like ausone ten years ago. Was £18-20k/12 and now below £10k. I sold all my 96 salon bottles and mags yesterday.