2011 West Coast Weather and Vintage Thread

Seeing very small buds on our almond trees already.

I’m always surprised to see the Acacia trees and Daffodils blooming, but florishing in a true Mediterranean climate means getting with it when the getting is good, aka when it’s raining. To the natives, “winter” is just another name . . .

[dance2.gif] [dance2.gif] [dance2.gif] [dance2.gif]

I’m not ready to go on a serious weather rant (let alone use the ‘D’ word) yet, but I’ve had enough of these beautiful days. Ready to get back to some cold, rainy, stormy times where pot roast and Petite Sirah rule. neener

Snow, venison roast and a Gigondas here last night

Now yer talkin’ [dance-clap.gif]

Casey, coming from Mendocino I think you left a couple of commas out of your post. Shouldn’t it be “pot, roast, and Petite Sirah”? [rofl.gif]

funny how little rain all of a sudden. What’s the over/under in days until the weather talking heads start reporting on “renewed fears of a drought due to insufficient late season rains”?

My weather guru says this little thing over the weekend will be about a quarter inch THEN another long period of dry! Dry won’t be bad, but lets get these daytime temps back down! [scratch.gif]

Well that sure was nice! A full inch here with some strong winds overnight (and still blowing). I’ll guess we’ll see some pretty cold temps the next few days and possibly a return to some normal daytime temps too. [bye.gif]

Huge rain overnight - very welcome. All that 75 degree weather in January was getting so tiresome - not. But we do need more rain, and now is a good time for it.

Tons of pruning going on in the vineyards - some with just a first pass, many with their final cuts. All that early rain and then sun/heat has made the mustard pop on cue. Beautiful days here in the Valley.

Did come down pretty good last night in West Sonoma County.
Today I noticed the buds breaking on our apple trees already.

Anybody know what kind this little guy is?

Let’s hope it is not a European Grapevine Moth Pupae.

Okay, I’m officially laying down my first weather rant of 2011. We need some effing rain! [shock.gif] Sure we’re 100-125% of normal to date, but the next 10 days look dry and we don’t need these vines/trees/bushes thinking spring is coming next week. My almond trees are about a week away (BUT THAT’S OKAY BECAUSE I DON’T GROW ALONDS FOR A LIVING!). Come on Ma Nature how about driving the arctic jet steam right trhough my living room for the next 10 days? How about high temps in the low 50’s, about 6-8 inches of rain and a couple of power outages for the folks in Fort Bragg? [wow.gif]

+1

We like our Mediterranean climate a little more Italy and a little less Libya.

Casey - our almond trees are in full bloom here. Hit 80 degrees here in Calistoga this afternoon, and the robins are in the yard, thinking it is Spring. My gym is at a resort, and the pool was crowded with sunbathers and swimmers. Geesh.

Been warmer so far this year than the entirety of last year up until August. Crazy…

May have another record high today. The weather “professionals” say we should have rain next weekend.

That’s what I’m hearing too. I hope like hell the storm door swings back open starting Saturday. [thumbs-up.gif]

Crazy warm yesterday. Felt very good but, man this is strange. I’m thinking we might be in for a warm, early, dry spring- it’s been a few years…

Yesterday was eery: warm and windy. Earthquake or fire weather if you live in the Oakland hills as I do.

The angle of the sun is also bizarre. I am a spoiled, unhappy Californian. You guys with all of your snow and cold weather are so lucky.
neener

We are getting some phenomenal sunsets though.