2011 West Coast Weather and Vintage Thread

Nice to see some wet weather setting up on the 10 day forecast. Oak tress are trying to bud out here. Vines still tight. Bring it on! [thumbs-up.gif]

Great seminar in Pennsylvania yesterday. Andy Erickson and Jeff Newton sharing winegrowing practices for super premium wine. Andy mentioned some Chardonnay has already broken bud. Anyone else?

Looks like today will still be in the 70s here, and tomorrow slightly cooler. Then if the forecast is correct, it appears next week will be somewhat cooler, and with rain nearly every day. We need it.

What a difference a day makes.

Did a bunch of chores outside yesterday like weedeating and cutting stuff back. I also got a big burn pile taken care of.

Wake up in the middle of the night to big ass wind and some pretty moderate rain.

Same here.

I dumped here last night. We got over in inch in 8 hrs. Looks like it’s going to continue through the next ten days.

I was able to disk a few of the neighbors fields before the rains last night and even the red clay soils were working up nicely. That’s pretty unusual for Feb. We were able to get three varieties of sweet onions in right before the rains. Would be a great year to be a row crop farmer.

[scratch.gif]

[oops.gif] I’ve really got to start proof reading before hitting the submit button. hitsfan

If your area is anything like Calistoga late today, you got what you wished for, Casey. What a deluge.

Over 3 inches so far today. [shock.gif]

After that sun, this is one part shock and one part relief.

It was just nasty this afternoon and evening. Monsoon type rains, high winds, downed tree limbs, roads flooded. What a difference a couple days make. Sunday was warm and sunny.

2.65" here in the past 24 hours. There were many hours of heavy rain here yesterday afternoon.

It was a good day to stay inside and make some calls, send some emails and placed a couple of classified ads for fruit. We’ll see.

Also spent some time out in my man room messin’ around with reloading bullets and organizing some things.

I was looking at the weather radar for the greater SF area today at about 11 AM Pacific time - looked like a lot of rain again today, especially closer to SF. Get ready for spring! [wow.gif]

The rain has been pretty constant for a few days, with minor breaks only. The rain is so heavy at times that driving is very difficult - it just comes down so hard. This morning around 8:00 I saw plenty of vineyards in my area with standing water, and some of the water was coming down from the hills and running across my street.
Not sure why, but my vineyard has exceptional drainage, and I have never experienced standing water in it.

There is plenty of snow in the hills here UpValley, and Highway 128 going up to Mt. St. Helena is closed to all traffic. It is unusual that the snow hang around so late into the day, but it is only in the low to mid-40s here on the Valley floor, so it must be to freezing as you go to the higher elevations.

I got your standing water right here.

Yep, that would be a lot of standing water.

You could prune that one in a row boat [swoon.gif]

More rain and snow for the next ten days after tomorrow. It’s nice to see as I need some good spring rains to water in the compost, lime and blood meal I’m spreading next week.

My weather oracle says that Sonoma County is in for a 100 year snow event this Friday, even those of us at lower elevations (e.g., less than 1,000’). If it hits right, we could see snow accumulations Saturday morning, a sight I have never seen so close to sea level in my 40+ years in the Bay Area. If it happens, I hope I can figure out how to post a picture or two . .