2012 Huet secs have shit the bed

Good to know. I don’t have a lot of experience with Huet, but I bought some '14-'17s based on tasting them young and haven’t made my way back to them. I was going to circle back soon, but now I may give them a few more years. Still, it’s rare that I’ve had a Huet that has just been disappointing.

I’m not convinced this rule holds true anymore in the age of global warming and less sulfur, Jayson. I think things have changed with regard to the non-sweet wines.

Now, that said, before folks start the premox hysteria, let’s all remember that '11-'13 were tough vintages for Loire Chenin. Like Jayson, I found them an easy pass.

1 Like

Stepped over that pile by jumping from 2009 to 2014.

I had a 14 Les Choisilles this week and it was very good over 2 nights. I’ve had a couple that were more advanced than they should be but that’s not been the case for all.

2010 was great almost for all Loire Chenin

Damn, I hope the 12’s arent done for- Daughters birth year so continue to buy them with the plan to hold longer term.

FWIW, I’ve had a smattering of 05 demis, 10 petillants, 11 secs, and 14 demis, and I dont think I’ve had an advanced bottle yet. Maybe I’ve been #lucky…but heres to hoping that trend keeps up

Just popped…color definitely a deep yellow/pale orange. No oxidation on the nose; letting it sit for a while.
E43BB785-317F-409A-8ED3-5B62A5BD2381.jpeg

I pulled this after seieing the thread and have 3 LM in the cellar. Sat in the glass for 15 mins. Nose has not moved much and nothing oxidative. Palate is dried apricot, jellied quince and an acacia honey; acidity is still present. A very pleasant bottle and the Beaufort cheese was a nice match. Good enough to let the other two sit for a few more years before checking in on the next one.

Niiiice. Love the note/hearing that - thanks for popping/posting!

Second that! This is a very high yeild thread for me. As someone holding birth wines for the long haul, I had a 2014 Le Mont sec a couple months ago that made me wish I’d bought a case. Although in fairness that may have been from showing some early advancement…

My 2005s went south relatively quickly. Premox?

I just had an '05 Le Mont Demi-Sec last night that was lovely, if a bit plump due to the vintage.

We really need to get off this premox hysteria, people. There’s only been one known vintage where the domaine had widespread issues with it and that was 2002. Some things to remember are that 1) Chenin tends to showy oxy with some age on it, 2) the main culprit behind bottles that show advanced is poor storage somewhere in the chain, 3) Premox in whites pretty much show up consistently in the 7-9 year age mark after vintage, be it White Burgs, Alsatian Riesling, Loire Chenin, etc. and then you have to look at global reports, not specific markets so you can get a more accurate take on if a problem exists, 4) Vintages matter.

That’s the same wine I’ve had a few times recently and each one has been fantastic. Have a handful left that I’m in no rush to drink based on these last bottles, but they’re definitely in a great spot right now for my palate.

I went to school in Tours in the '60s. We routinely drank wines that were 30 years old. The 2005 Secs I had were going south rapidly.

Then I’d blame shipping/storage and/or the fact that it’s a fat vintage and better for the sweetstuff, than dry.

I ll accept that I won’t buy any more.

What do we have here?? Complaints about 2002, 2005, 2012?? Not a good record.

By the way, the headline refers --at least in my mind–to deGaulle’s chie-en-lit speech.

Mel, a couple of people complaining about a few off bottles, a la 2005, does not a problem make. With 2002, the problems started at the proper time established for premox in lots of other bottlings and there were numerous reports from bottles consumed all over the world. That’s how you establish if an issue is legitimate, or not. As far as 2012 goes, hey, it wasn’t a strong vintage and there was a transition in the winemaking team. Funny enough, their wines returned to form and have been strong once good vintages returned '14-'17.

Now, all that said, Vouvray, like so many other regions, is not the same as it was. There’s global warming, there’s less sulfur use, there’s wineries not pressing grapes as hard as they did before, so they no longer have all the phenolics they once had. The jury is out for how long long sec and demi-secs, in particular, will last. I’m not concerned about the sweeties ageability at this point.

I think you need to go back to 1919 (still drinking) to fully assess the “record” here. And, what Brad said.

I hope I didn’t get anyone worried unnecessarily. As always, YMMV. After reading the recent, pretty consistent CT notes below on the Le Mont and CDB, I got concerned. I opened both and found them to be in poor shape. For reference, I’ve been watching the evolution of the 2010s and they come off as much more youthful and enjoyable. I guess the best advice I can give you is to not sleep on these; open one up and if you like it, leave the rest alone. But you might find the opposite. Just trying to help. Cheers all.