2016 Barolo : what to buy in en-primeur

I guess it’s a given that at the end is down to personal taste . For me 2016 burlotto monvigliero is the best he’s ever produced and nothing short than majestic. Cannubi as well is an amazing wine . Luigi pira for me is another producer that has done a very good job in this vintage as well and it’s not talked about a lot , defo on the raise together with Cogno and Giovanni rosso .also wanted to point out the bashed 2014 vintage is turning out to be not as bad as many thought giacosa with the riserva , conterno with monfortino ,Massolino with vigna rionda and cogno with vigna Elena are the proof of that .

I just picked up (on pre-release) a few 16’ E. Pira Cannubi and Via Nuova. Good prices, great reviews, made sense.

check out B-21 in Tarpon Springs Florida. They send out private offers for early release wines. I just picked up the 16 Massolino Parafada as well as the 16 Cordero Monfalletto earlier in the year.

Just finished the Vietti Castiglione from 375. Really good early showing for this wine. This will be a heck of a wine and great value as it develops.

Cheers

Has anyone tried the 2016 F. Rinaldi Brunate to compare to the 2013 F. Rinaldi Brunate?

I don’t know that it has arrived physically in the U.S., at least on east cost. I’ve only seen pre-arrival offers, although I bought it at Garagiste who had it physically already.

I think some 2016 Barolo arrivals have been delayed probably due to COVID impact. For example the Vajra 2016 single vineyard wines - have been wanting to try them again, but have not seen them arrive physically in the U.S.

I’m up in Boston. We’ve had a few random things come in so far but I haven’t seen the Vajra singles yet, only castiglione.

I have my Elio Grasso in hand already and Cavallotto will be here next week.

Vinopolis in Portland has the '16 Vajra SVDs as well as the Luigi Baudana SVDs at attractive pricing. I just ordered a mixed case. IIRC they’re arriving in the next few weeks. One of my favorite retailers in the country.

Missed out on the 16 Brovia’s at Wine Cellarage. They sold quickly.

B-21 in Tampa has some great offers going out. One of them is the 16 Cordero di Montezemolo Barolo Monfalletto. Only $38.00 until 8/10. I’m going back for more after the bottle this week. Similiar to the Vietti Cas it showed beautifully for such a young wine. Fine tannin and lots of depth and energy. A fantastic value. They also had some good offers for pre order on Massolino’s full line up though the base Barolo is in stock. Most of the years wine budget going into 16 Barolo.

Cheers

FOMO… [cheers.gif]

There’s always more wine.

Not like these wines need any further flogging, but I had a bottle of 2008 Burlotto Monvig the other night that was insanely good. Prob my wine of the year.
I agree prices have gotten crazy, esp with the recent Del Posto auction, but i certainly dont deny the inherent quality or the specialness of the site.

Scored a few Brovia Rocche this morning at a fair price, very pleased. Ca Mia will be next.

Anyone else back loading other vintages while 16 hype goes into over drive ? I took a break from buying in general from 16-19 and realized how little barolo I had left. I’ve seen some nice pricing on 13-15 while i search for 16’s. Most recent purchases were 13 Elio Grasso Ginestra and 13 Cavallotto Bricco Boschi.

Cheers

Just grabbed a few 16’ Brovia Brea Vigne Ca’Mia from Winehouse in Los Angeles. Anyone know the difference between the Brea Vigne Ca’Mia and Ca’Mia?

Luigi pira margheria 2016 is truly glorious and dirt cheap

All Star Wines has a good price on 16 Cavallotto and Vajra Albe- $66 and $30.

Fully agree. I have tasted the entire current line-up with Gianpaolo three times, last time last Saturday. Everything he’s made in ‘16 is so good as is his Langhe Nebbiolo 2018. Margheria was my favorite but I bought them all.

No difference, same wine. Brea is the official name of the vineyard. Ca Mia is a one HA monopole plot within the Brea Cru