2016 Barolo : what to buy in en-primeur

Thanks Martin and Lorenzo. New producer for me but the notes and pricing are very attractive. Saratoga Wine Exchange has the whole line up for those on the east coast.

Iā€™m seeing them both for $80-90 on east and west coast.

east coast here, got my grassoā€™s for $75

I canā€™t see any 2016 Brovia. Whoā€™s offering it?

Good point. Iā€™ve also back filled some 2013s, but do to limited storing capacity I try to be selective especially with regards to vintages. Recently we had a Scarzello Vigna Merenda (small plot within Sarmassa) 2011, that was really great, but still marked by the warm vintage in the sense that it didnā€™t have the extra energy and structure, which I like in Barolo. With that said Iā€™m still tempted to go for some Brovia Rocche 2015 and maybe some Vietti Crus from 2014.

Have seen two so far, Wine Cellarage in NY, evaporated in hours. Wine House in LA, still some available

Most of the offers I see are usually much later in the year than this.

Total Wine Concierge Sales sent out the offer below this morning-

2016 Sandrone Barolo Le Vigne
Regular In-store price $249.99
Concierge Pricing: $199.97/750 ml ā€“ 20% off
Regular In-store price $499.99/1.5L
Concierge Pricing: $399.97/1.5L ā€“ 20% off
Regular In-store price $999.99/3L
Concierge Pricing: $799.97/3L ā€“ 20% off
100 pts Robert Parkerā€™s Wine Advocate
98 pts Wine Enthusiast
98 pts Vinous

2016 Sandrone Barolo Aleste
Regular In-store price $199.99
Concierge Pricing: $149.97/750 ml ā€“ 25% off
Regular In-store price $399.99/1.5L
Concierge Pricing: $299.97/1.5L ā€“ 25% off
Regular In-store price $799.99/3L
Concierge Pricing: $599.97/3L ā€“ 25% off
98 pts Robert Parkerā€™s Wine Advocate
98 pts Vinous
97 pts Wine Enthusiast

For 2016? Was it before the WA Piedmont issue came out? I can say this, wholesale is the same here in CT for 2016 as it was for 2015. Larnerā€™s perfect score isnā€™t going to help. I know sheā€™s not Galloni, but these day a perfect score from anyone moves the needle somewhat

Wow, I picked up a mag of the 2015 Aleste in June for $247.

That was pre-WA scores (late July). Itā€™s amazing that in the genre of Italian wine, the WAā€™s ratings still have more of an effect over retail pricing than AGā€™s reviews. At least thatā€™s what Iā€™ve noticed.

Mostly out of a sense of morbid curiosity, would someone be able to tell me which 2016 barolo were scored highest in the recent WA scores? Not to inform my purchasesā€¦ more to get a sense of whether wines I like will be more expensive now.

Five perfect scores

Gaja Sperss
Sandrone Le Vigne
Bartolo Mascarello
Vietti Rocche
Burlotto Cannubi

Thanks! Seems interesting that different critics have rated different wines from the same producer higher than others. Like Antonio Galloni liked the Burlotto Monvigliero best instead of the Cannubi, and I think he liked the Vietti Ravera over the Rocche? Also, if I was reading it right, sounds like Wine Enthusiast (Kerin Oā€™Keefe) liked the Burlotto Barolo more than one of the single vineyard bottlings. Seems like this rarely happens in other wine regions, where there is a clearer ā€œtopā€ bottling (or burgundy where there is a classification). My interpretation is that these are all probably excellent wines, and on any given day one may show better or worse than the other.

Sandroneā€™s Le Vigne should also be very good in 2014, which you can find for a very fair price. Same with Vietti Ravera and Rocche. I consider buying these instead of their expensive 2016 brothers. I havenā€™t tried any of them, but Galloni rated them rather high. Anyone tried these recently?

I havenā€™t but Iā€™ve been doing this for other top rated wines and buying their 13,14 or 15ā€™s based on offers and what Iā€™m finding. Recently picked up the 14 Massollino Riserva on pre-order from B-21 for $99. AG gave it very high praise in the 16 Barolo report.

I think the best '14s are beautiful, elegant wines, which makes no sense given the weather. Iā€™m cellaring a lot of 12s and 14s for nearer term drinking.

+1 on '14s. This thread is about barolo, but actually find '14s in barbaresco to be really great in many cases. I think they were a bit more successful in this difficult vintage than Barolo due to missing some of the fall rains. Definitely not a vintage to write off based on what one would think would be insurmountable weather conditions.