2016 Roumier Musigny for only . . .

Face it we are in wine wonderland in the time of fabulous wealth and micro productions. How many zeros?

Fascinating to imagine how the perceptions of something one might have never experienced and the resulting powerful desire can be formed, no? Grape juice with a lifespan. Let the games begin!

I think the market has flattened. A couple of weeks ago, two bottles of 1995 Roumier Bonnes Mares failed to sell at a major auction where listed for $6000-$9000). Anyone interested?

Cheaper to fly to France and drink Roumier there.

Is that really flattened? It was $1500 or so just ~2 to 2.5 years ago. Then it doubled in about a year.

It’s very good wine. But it’s not that good.

I have only physically seen a Roumier Musigny once
last year in the wine shop near Rockerfellar Ice Rink
12 000 us from memory

Triosgros has multiple vintages in the 2,000-3,000 euro range I believe (or at least did in June ‘18). Still not quite the steals they used to have — eg the 93 Rousseau Chambertin I had for 230 euro a decade or so ago.

Roumier only makes about one barrel of Musigny and as such, really can’t do selection of the best—it’s an all or none. So it’s not his best wine—Bonnes Mares is.

I remember when…

…does that make me old?

1 Like

I had a very small couple of sips of the 2001 Moose
that were disarmingly spectacular.

IMHO this wine was the best of the '01 Musigny’s…

That is my experience. When it is on, the Musigny can be truly thrilling, but with such a small production and little room to pick and choose on grape selection, I have over time found the wines all over the map which can also make determining the best time to open a given vintage very tricky.

Given that reality, you really need to be getting at least 3-4 per vintage to hedge your bets. This is no wine to buy as a one-off, but that is now the reality for most buyers.

Nice you get Brulees- I don’t get offered that one either. Appreciate your kind words, but to be honest it was a bit of luck for me. When I got hooked on Burgundy, I was very fortunate to have an honest merchant at hand who had a very strong relationship with Diageo. I had no idea how lucky I was and when the Diageo portfolio broke up there was a time when I thought I might not be bothering with Burgundy again.

Happily this same merchant, with his honest and sincere ways, was able to very quickly bring very fine importers like Jeanne Marie Deschamps more strongly into the mix, and thus we have Meo here in quantities that allow one to buy Burgundy the way it needs to be bought- in multi-bottle allocations and every vintage- for the best long term outcome.

For all my experience and history in this business- routinely chasing after good Burgundy in the secondary market is an exercise I have never been able to stomach given what I know about the real release prices of most wines and also the complete lack of reward in future vintages for being a loyal buyer right now. I have come to find being a happy Burgundy buyer really must go hand in hand with dealing with good merchants and importers on a long term basis.

Tasted the ‘07 from barrel. That’s my sole encounter with it. Enjoyable and unexpected.

Friends,

had the Roumier MUSIGNY 2003 recently and the 2006 to celebrate my 60th birthday. I thought both wines were spectacular and on par with the fantastic LA TACHE 1999.

SINCERELY JOHAN

Oh, come on, you doctors can afford anything.

hey, I don’t get to visit the mailbox 6 days a week for a music money check . . . I work for a living.

1 Like

You go big spender.

Reckon at $19,999 it would sell more readily :slight_smile:

I’m with you man… pileon

I recall buying bottles of several vintages in the late 90s for $ 100/ea.
I sold them some years later for around $ 600/ea. I thought I did well, but in retrospect not the smartest move!

Then again, I remember Christophe selling me bottles of BM around the same time for $ 40/ea.

Bummer, I hate when super expensive wines are SPECTACULAR. [cheers.gif] It appears that even if I can’t personally afford such wines, Burgundy is sometimes not overrated. [wow.gif]
Regards,
Peter