2016 Roumier Musigny for only . . .

I’ve only had Roumier’s musigny once - the 2001. It was fine - nothing special. The village chambolle is really great though!

“Here in Texas at “honest retail” (I like that expression), 2016 Dujac Clos de la Roche, Clos St. Denis and Vosne Malconsorts were all under $400. I passed, but the wines are far more available than in the past which is very odd considering that the 85s have been setting auction records right and left lately.“

I too like that expression. I recently got into an argument on another thread when I was describing the price I bought my Rousseau Chambertin (and Beze and CSJ) at, from a retailer who sold them to me at his “normal markup”, as regular retail, as opposed to “what the market will bear” markups by most retailers on the internet. And he maintained that that the roughly $500-600 Chambertin was not regular retail, that instead the going price of $1500-2500 was regular retail. It was a very frustrating argument that went nowhere slowly.

It really is a matter, as you pointed out earlier, of having a long term relationship with your wine retailer, and the retailer continuing to sell at “honest retail” to their loyal customers, as opposed to seeing what prices they might obtain at auction or over the internet.

You make my day… good to know Musigny is the bottom of the range… I only managed to buy chambolle vill, cras, Morey 1er and a very few BM in the past… and the BMs are too young to broach… Nice to be able to rely on the village for a drink…

I think this bears repeating. It’s been said by others than just me.

1 Like

But how do you rank Amoureuses compared to his BM and his Muse? Or is it apple and oranges and impossible to rank them?

Market prices Roumier’s Amoureuses above BM. May be a supply/availability thing. I have not drunk many of the former so I should defer. But I think his BM is his best wine.

Friends,

BONNES MARES or AMOUREUSES ROUMIER? Both are great. I have a few bottles of both each year starting with the 87 vintage. Both are great. If I had to choose one for my desert island it would be BONNES MAREs however.

SINCERELY JOHAN

1 Like

Amoureuses is much smaller production than Bonnes Mares. I don’t recall exact numbers, but significant gap.

Interestingly, Galloni spoke about the fact that the Musigny is hand bottled. He thinks it causes variation down the line when it ages.