2018 Schrader

I’m sure plenty!

Let me know if anyone want 2918 Schrader at cost.

Don’t forget the special shipping rates from Schrader…only 2x the typical freight. With tax that puts the per bottle px at $250, a bargain!

Despite my disdain demonstrated above, the insanity still keeps me coming back. I passed on 2017 but am still on the fence over 2018. Better vintage plus still TRB = possible purchase.

Someone please heal me from this affliction.

[scratch.gif]

Do you like Bordeaux?

Bordeaux? yes. Very much so.

Much like I like my cabs I won’t drink them until they are at least 10 - 15 years old.

I bailed after 2014. juice wasn’t worth the proverbial squeeze

I’m the same re: Cab. (-based) drinking windows.

This is how I “healed my affliction”: one day, I realized I could, instead of buying Schrader, buy a bottle of Pichon Baron, or two bottles of Haut Bailly, or three bottles of Domaine de Chevalier, or two bottles of Leoville Barton, or a bottle of Montrose, or a bottle of Rauzan Segla, or a bottle of Grand Puy Lacoste, or … AND have money leftover (in some cases, a considerable amount). I miss CA Cabs not at all, although that doesn’t stop me from keeping an eye out for aged bargains. It’s all about opportunity costs.

So now that the offer is actually open I’m hesitating. Swore to myself I’d cut down on high-end Cab purchases this year since I’ve been drinking more Pinot, and I’d have to pick a producer to dump. I can’t bear to drop Spottswoode or VHR, so this may be it… going to open a 2012 RBS (my oldest Schrader) in the next few days as a test. Hopefully it will be terrible and make my choice easy.

On the fence as well, though leaning in. Now that Shafer Hillside is $300+, Schrader pricing looks better combined with more limited production.

Been buying since 2010 vintage allocation. Bought one seven-pack and two old sparky’s (one is a wish list). Maybe the fact they have two new vineyards gives more wine to increase allocations, or maybe some have dropped off as stated. I didn’t know there was an eight-pack but since the seven-pack is one of each without GIII, that makes sense that there is another option.

I am a fan of the wine though admittedly have not had anything newer than 2016 yet.

2016 HSS should be my last vintage buying with that pricing. Its easy to move on to another winery where you can buy a few more bottles for sometimes less than the cost of 1.

Brian you make great points. I think I will surely, at a minimum, cut back on my order. Maybe just pick up a magnum or two so I have some juice in the cellar and move on to a more balanced portfolio with wines like you named. Thanks for your thoughts.

… or multiple bottles of Becklyn.

… or maybe replace schrader with Maybach or MacDonald.

Unless you had plans in the works for a few years now, how could you replace Schrader with MacDonald? I put myself on that waiting list over two years ago and haven’t heard a peep.

I was able to stop buying schrader when I got my first MacDonald allocation in 2014. My first Maybach was the '08 vintage.

dh

Hot off the press from Mrs. Lisa Perrotti-Brown in case anyone wanted a review of the 2018’s prior to purchasing…

2018 Mondavi Heritage Clone To Kalon Vineyard. This is the very first vintage of this new label for Schrader. True to Schrader form, the wine is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from a single block in the southern part of Mondavi’s section of To Kalon vineyard. The “Heritage Clone”, a.k.a. clone 39, is pretty much exclusive to Mondavi To Kalon, with the exception of some cuttings Robert Mondavi may have given out. Winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown noted that this clone produces very small bunches and tiny berries, equating to super-intense fruit. A barrel sample, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Mondavi Heritage Clone To Kalon Vineyard displays a very deep purple-black color, offering amazing intensity on the nose of blueberry coulis, warm cassis and blackberry pie scents with underlying hints of roses, fragrant soil, Darjeeling tea and tree bark. Medium-bodied, fantastically intense and very tightly wound, it has loads of mineral layers intertwined with fine-grained, firm tannins and bold freshness, finishing very long. Evocative, singular and truly exciting, I can’t wait to taste this from bottle! 572 cases are due to be made. 97 - 100 points

The 2018 Monistary Block To Kalon got 97 - 100
The 2018 Beckstoffer To Kalon got 97 - 100
Rest are 95 -99 points

Gabe…Any score for Sparky?

Nope…was hoping to see one, but none. I think Sparky is a blend of the best barrels, so once final blend and bottling occurs, perhaps it’ll get reviewed then…