2019 Bordeaux

Very curious what the prices for 1st growths, VCC, LCHB, DDC and Montrose will be.

I just bought some half bottles of Pontet Canet; it seems to be a decent play, given

a. There are no good halves out there close to this price
b. They will mature more quickly in the half bottle.

I was thinking about the halves too. Maybe grab 'em from zachys.

Any big trend this year according to him ? in terms of CS vs. Merlot, left vs. right or specific appelations that outshined the rest.

Unless prices are lower than back vintage 2008/2012/2014, not much reason to buy these. I’d love to buy en primeur, but hard to see much, if any value anymore outside of a handful of wines over the last few years.

If you are asking about 2019 Latour, that will not be released for at least 10 years, so no worries there

If you are asking about 2012 Latour, that was released this week, that’s up to you

Jeff
My comment was me speaking out loud to myself in frustration- I refuse - if possible not to pay the TRUMP TARIFF - my company is an ‘official importer’ of Ch. Latour. Suffice it to say we buy our stock direct from the Chateau and the 3rd wine, Pauillac de Chateau Latour - we are expected to keep in stock and move certain volume. Our purchases come from the Chateau and those bottles have some identification stating that, and we have to bring it in, no matter of the tariff.
And since the tariff I’ve left our purchases in France, except to the few Exclusives that come with an expectation - the Ch., Latour , the 2nd wine of Rauzan Segla and Canon. We paid the tariff as did our clients.

if it is any help, release schedule of 2019
Tuesday June 2, Courtier release to Negociant, offered to importers,
Fombrauge
Magrez Fombrauge
Tour Carnet blanc
Les Grands ChĂȘnes
Bernard Magrez
Prelat de Pape Clément blanc
Prelat de Pape Clément rouge
Clos Haut Peyraguey
Symphonie de Haut Peyraguey
Belle-Vue
Petit Verdot by Belle-Vue
Bolaire
Gironville

Wednesday - 3rd,
Malescot Saint Exupéry
Carles
Haut-Carles

Thursday 4th
Domaine de Chevalier rouge
Domaine de Chevalier blanc
Esprit de Chevalier rouge
Esprit de Chevalier blanc
Lespault-Martillac rouge
Lespault-Martillac blanc
Clos de Lunes - Lune d’Argent
Croix de Labrie

Tuesday the 9th

Mouton Rothschild
Petit Mouton de Mouton Rothschild
Armailhac (d’)
Clerc Milon

Thursday the 11th
LĂ©oville Barton
Langoa Barton
Mauvesin Barton

And then the week after Lafite,
So many Chateaux have not committed to a date, UGC does not seem to be coordinating, no one is orchestrating, so I imagine this June will be like OPERATION OVERLORD
Imagine a week from now an additional 50 Chateau will squeeze in.
How many will make a price as friendly as PONTET CANET?
And the price to the public? Will that include the tariff? or not?

I was told by someone I trust - the wine of the vintage - MONTROSE

Now with the new Latour release what do I do? Mid June the trade representatives meet, from France and U.S. if they remove the tariff
 and if they do not remove the tariff?
We have to purchase at least after that meeting.

1 Like

At least in my (major) market, you can’t find back vintages of Pontet Canet for $80. And many back vintages are significantly more, including some recents.

There is no "Official Importer of Latour. It is an open market wine anyone can buy, sell, trade, etc, in any country.

How many will make a price as friendly as PONTET CANET? And the price to the public? Will that include the tariff? or not?

No, because the tariff is only charged on import to the USA. FWIW, many wines will be attractively priced in this vintage.

Now with the new Latour release what do I do? Mid June the trade representatives meet, from France and U.S. if they remove the tariff
 and if they do not remove the tariff? We have to purchase at least after that meeting.

You buy, or not as your demand allows. The tariff issue will probably not be solved until after the WTO resolves the case against Boeing. There are numerous folks on here that can provide more info the subject. I can only tell you about the quality and style of 2019 Bordeaux, with over 500 wines having been tasted.

I heard that the Boeing judgement was delayed because they were unable to fill a GATT position because of Covid.

I assume that Latour will be releasing a Forts and Pauillac.
I have a great niece born in 2019, and am waiting to see what the Ducru and Pichon Lalande will be released for.

I received an offer for PC at $79.00, wow has that price come down quite a bit

2012 PC was going for $80 for a long time in the bay area until earlier this year.
2014 PC was going for about $85.
2016 Rauzan Segla was going for $80 for a whole year as well

Suddenly prices went wild after the the tariff.

Forts and Pauillac have not been sold EP since the 2012 vintage. They are released when ready to drink.

Jeff,
when I am tired I tend to skip some of the connective tissue,
I am an “official importer of Latour” for a number of reasons - the simplest one is that a few selected importers in the world are the only ones who receive an opportunity to import and distribute the 3rd wine of Ch. Latour. With that comes a relationship to fill orders of various vintages of Ch. latour directly from the Chateaux. Because of that ‘appointment’ I then have a responsibility to full fill regular numbers of sales. And guide lines in my relationship with the Chateau.
As well as access. I shortened all of those details by simplifying and stating “official importer” .
Obviously everyone who works the market knows it is an “open market” wine that anyone can purchase. While I often purchase directly at the Chateaux - so I shortened the explanation - hoping you will not require even further details to discredit my statement.
I believe the entire U.S.A. has 3 of us Importers with this entree.
Hopefully that is sufficient and explanation to meet your standard.

Given that relationship, I have a responsibility to purchase the other 2 Cuvees as well. That is fine, what I was mumbling about was my lack of acceptance of purchasing while I have the 25% tariff tacked on.
Hopefully now all of these additional details suffice.

That 3rd wine of Latour (Pauillac de Latour) could be really good in some vintages, just bought some ‘15 in halves from UK.

Both the 2015 and 2016 Forts are available now in the Far East. I doubt whether they are ready to drink.

I also seem to remember that when they were holding back the Grand Vin, they said they would still offer current vintages of Forts to the trade.

Release patterns are different for all 3 wines. However, none are offered EP.

K&L now has OWC futures for Pontet Canet. When you purchase you have to check the box about their tariff policy. My reading is that if tariffs are active when the wine is ready to be imported you have three options:

1. Refund
  2. Hold importing until tariffs resolved (if possible)
  3. Pay for the tariff

That sounds extremely fair and removes all of the risk a buyer would face.
Not that I am a Soothsayer, but does anyone expect the 25% tariff will still be in place
when the wines are released in 2.5 years?