2019 German Riesling

Indeed. Was surprised (in a good way) at how the 2003 auslesen were turning out at JJ Prum. I have a 2003 Martin Mullen Krover Steffensberg Auslese I’m hoping to open soon.

I remember when people wrote off the 1997 vintage. Those wines are absolutely delicious now.

For some reason people have developed an acidity fetish. It has to stick out like a sore thumb. I don’t get it.

I don’t get it either, David. German Riesling is naturally so high in acidity that even in years of only “moderate” acidity I usually find the best producers have plenty for my taste. I don’t need it to strip the enamel off my teeth. It’s about the balance.

I actually had a 1997 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr GKA last night (and have some left over for tonight) and it’s great! Great complexity and plenty of lift and elegance for a GKA. Great wine.

I’m one of those people.

I like the tension that higher acidity wines have. They drink better at warmer temperatures than do lower acidity wines, which is helpful when enjoying over a meal, particularly at a restaurant (I’d prefer to not have to mess around with an ice bucket). I find high acidity wines “thrilling”, whereas many “well-balanced” wines are kinda ho-hum.

Interesting you chose to use the word “fetish”; comes across like you are offended by others’ preferences. I’m quite happy my preferences are mirrored by everyone — less competition for the wines I want. :slight_smile: Same goes for anyone else, of course. Do you believe producers are changing their styles to please those who prefer high acidity wines? If “Yes,” then I can understand your gripe (assuming you were, in fact, complaining?

David’s just a Riesling and Selbach-Oster homer. Can’t be offended when homers do what homers do. [wink.gif]

I just always find it odd when somebody rags on someone else’s preferences when it comes to something as subjective and inconsequential as wine.

In reading Sarah’s “stickies” thread just now, it occurred to me that some of us acid freaks may have a natural inclination towards high acid wines due to not having much of a sweet tooth ---- a bit ironic, of course, when talking about off-dry Rieslings, but it makes sense to me. I hardly ever pop a Sauternes anymore, precisely because they’re almost always too low in acidity for my preferences. The same concept applies to Riesling, although it’s much less of a “problem” with Riesling as it is with Sauternes.

What fascinated me the most about the MFW issue today was that of the 100 or so wines tasted from a smattering of producers, mostly Kabis, feinherb and spatlesen, that the standout wines and highest ratings went to Falkenstein and Vollenweider. Both wonderful producers, but hardly the Egon Mullers or JJ Prums of the Mosel. Kudos to them for the recognition!

I noticed his as well - not the usual top of the charts either in producers or Prädikat level. But also this was a pretty limited sampling. When we have the full range reviewed I wonder if this will change. Interesting though, especially because producers like Falkenstein and MF Richter are so reasonably priced.

1 Like

Brian, did you really feel like you were getting ragged on?

I agree with both Davids though, I like acidity in my wines, but I don’t find high acid to be in and of itself a great virtue. For me, high quality riesling typically has enough acid where “low” acid vintages are still great to my tastes. For instance, in 2015, there were instances where the acid could stick out too much, particularly on release.

Me, personally? No. Not at all. But I’m in the group David was denigrating … that is, unless David was using the term “fetish” in a complimentary manner, in which case, shame on me for not being up to speed on the newest tendrils of the English language.

I agree with both Davids though, I like acidity in my wines, but I don’t find high acid to be in and of itself a great virtue. For me, high quality riesling typically has enough acid where “low” acid vintages are still great to my tastes. For instance, in 2015, there were instances where the acid could stick out too much, particularly on release.

Cool! I think it’s an awesome thing whenever we can figure-out our personal preferences. I love the 2015 vintage as a whole, precisely because it is such a high-acid vintage, and I’m always happy to hear when others avoid it, either entirely, or in part. Similarly, you won’t have much competition from folks like me for the more “balanced” vintages you may prefer. So, everybody wins!! champagne.gif

I like 2015 a lot and bought a lot. Regardless, I don’t think competition for German wines is all that fierce in any vintage.

I agree with that.

Oddly, at least for now and recently, it seems 2015s and 2010s have largely disappeared from retailers’ shelves, whereas other surrounding vintages haven’t. … of course, could just be where I’m looking, which is a pretty narrow selection of local-to-me shops.

I am not complaining that some people prefer acidity to be more pronounced. I rather find it perverse that someone would want an element of the wine to stick out like a sore thumb. This is something that came up only 10-12 years ago, and seems to have been a reaction to low acidity, high ripeness wines from other regions.

I don’t dislike wines with higher acidity (check my cellar!), but shake my head in wonder when acidity is tuned into some sort of grail.

I am in the 2001 camp especially regarding 2019 Keller. Fair to say time will tell and I have tasted not so much so far, but also 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein “Herrenberg” Spätlese feinherb was impressive a few days ago. All 19s I have tasted so far showed a remarkable balance, inner peace, extract, depth and a good integrated harmonious acidity. The acidity in 2019 is higher than in 2018. Around 2-3 weeks ago I said to Robert Dentice after opening a 2019 Keller von der Fels, it is not a vintage like any I had since 2010, rather a vintage from the good old times. Anyway whether you compare it to 1937 like Stephan Reinhardt or whatever vintage some journalist write.

I recommend to spend BIG on 2019. But the quantity is low and it seems not so much will arrive in USA. In addition 20% tax imposed by the “stable genius” Mr. Trump.

I am also in the camp for not wanting high acidity. It doesnt feel balanced to me and dont enjoy the finish.

The acidity in 2019 is refreshing and remarkable balanced&very good integrated. No comparison to 2013 or 2017.

Thanks. I will try some out when opportunity comes.

Now if only some of the wines will show up on the U.S. market…

Given the quantity of outstanding wines still sitting on shelves, does it really matter?