2019 German Riesling

Does anyone currently import Vollenweider into the US? Just curious as I’m not buying German Riesling at the moment. I have a good deal of that property’s wines from 2001, 02, and 04.

VomBoden imports the wines and you can get that kab that MFW rated so highly right now at Chambers.
A

Count me as an acid freak as that is what I love so much about Germany. I am hearing from winemakers that it is a vintage I will love and they know how much I value acid. Only one data point so far, Laurer Barrel X, all I can say is that it was intense and had everything you could imagine in an entry-level wine. Looking forward to trying more.

I love the very acidic years and I love the rounder, more decadent years. It’s all good/great and it’s nice to have a variety.

I also like surfing the variations, and buy in virtually all type of vintages. I buy less in more extreme years, when acids are either really high or really low, and also when ripeness and/or botrytis dominates. Ultimately that means I buy more in years like 2001, 2002, 2007, 2009, 2012, etc., and less in years like 2003, 2006, 2010, 2011, etc… I still buy, just a bit less.

I will be quite active in offering the '19s (my first went out today), and from what I hear, lots to be excited about.
Contstantin Richter told me that the profile of the wines is quite classical, a throwback to the 1990s in terms of the balance of must weight and acidity.
Oliver Müller of Wagner Stempel told me classical/filigree are his descriptors, with the analytics portending very very balanced wines.

Partly for selfish reasons I’m bumping this thread. This past week I put in my requests for Max Ferd Richter and Hofgut Falkenstein wines. They’re coming, people!

I also like acid in wine. For example, I have loved the 1990 vintage and I love wines from the Saar and the Ruwer.

Thought I’d resurrect this now that Part I of the MFW report on the vintage is out. What’s everything planning to buy?

Has anyone tried Van Volxem? Is there an importer in the US? Wines and philosophy seems intriguing.

I will overdo it this year as usual. There are going to be some price increases I think, but the wines are still cheap on a relative basis. I will generally buy what I always do, but will probably go a little deeper than most years on Schloss Lieser and Fritz Haag based on what I’ve heard and read so far. And I plan to skip Donnhoff completely and reallocate elsewhere.

Before the any of the MFW reviews came I out, I preordered the following: Schloss Lieser Wehlener Sonnenuhr LGKA; Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden LGKA; Schloss Lieser Brauneberg Juffer Sonnenuhr GKA; Fritz Haag Brauneberg Juffer Sonnenuhr GKA No. 9; Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle GKA; and Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle BA.

After reading MFW, I’m trying to add on a Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst GKA, but I imagine it’s already sold out from this particular source.

I’ll try to pick up some Spat, Kabs and a few dry Rieslings once everything hits the states.

I’ll be overdoing it this vintage as well, as price creep has me concerned as well. I’m worried some of my favorites may get too expensive in the near future (Willi Schaefer, and even JJ Prum come to mind) and others that are bargains right now, especially on the kabinett level, will start to rise.

Heh…good to have a 25 vintage stockpile…

You’re also 25 years ahead of me :wink:

Disagree. For Germany, I’d much rather be walking into the heart of my buying years right now versus twenty years ago. The current group of young producers revisiting forgotten sites, the return to classic kabinett and the increased focus on dry wines make this a much more exciting time to be a buyer in Germany than any other time in the past 25 years. But I’m sure glad I bought a ton burgundy over that time period.

Talk about taking things out of context, jesus.

Who says I am not buying now? I just don’t worry if a wine passes me by. It will be there again in 12 months, with subtle differences.

Maybe. It feels to me like a golden era, with climate change as the huge dark cloud on the horizon. I sense that vintage variation is sort of at an extreme right now. There is no eiswein, so if you’d passed on it as category in 2018 on the theory that more was around the corner, then you might be unhappy.

Eiswein is not at all what it used to be, and that makes me sad. The golden age of Eiswein ended a while ago.