2019 Harlan Offering

Lol just got an email from Colgin letting me know that “[my] support of our wines is of the utmost importance to us. We wanted to reach out personally to ensure that you are able to secure the 2018 vintage of “Cariad.” … at $550/btl. Per WMJ, the (100RP; 100V) 2016 has averaged $434/btl (including BP) in the last 2 years at auction.

Turns out that you try and sell wine at 25%+ above its secondary market value and it might be a little difficult…

2 Likes

Louis Vuitton gets multiples of the Harlan price for a purse.
If the market will bear it, then good for them.

But a grand buys a lot of really good wine.
And I like really good wine.
Best, jim

2 Likes

Signed up and was just offered the 2016 Mascot, but for $150 (not $100). Is $100 the release price?

Also offered the 2012 at $190.

Hmm, that’s odd. :thinking: With tax and shipping it was $126.18/bottle direct. 2016 is the latest release, they are five years behind the current calendar year. Maybe it was $110/bottle this year.

$150 is the normal retail price that you find online.

1 Like

Same here.

Dang. I can get some 12 year Van Winkle for $50/ounce.

Wine Bar George in Disney Springs Orlando has a “kings tasting” with Harlan on it. Highly recommend it!
0E925A04-5C29-478F-ABD2-F666B3037F0B.jpeg

1 Like

That’s unfortunate.
Maybe that is a initial release price, but if you miss it, it goes up. Memento Mori did the same this year for the first time. $225 release, but after that it will cost you $250/bottle.

1 Like

Looks to me like it still sells for more in the aftermarket than the $1000 offering price. By a good amount, actually.
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 4.32.42 PM.png

Same for promontory as well. I’m just curious how many those retailers actually sell. Have to say it has to be a decent amount or they wouldn’t buy them.

1 Like

The deal breaker for me was you also had to buy the Estate wine in multiples of three.

I was on the Harlan list and actually liked the wine (it is good). First Vintage was 1994 for me. I dropped from the list, as my order form would allow me XXX 750s and XXX Mags, I would put in my order, but then get a bottle or two bottles, off years, would get 3 or 4 bottles. Instead of complaining, I just stopped buying. But I did get a nice book from them.

I recently sold some 2010 at auction for a hammer of about $850/btl, so good luck with that. It was in a sealed OWC, I was the original owner and it was in professional storage its entire existence.

I don’t begrudge them trying to get what they can, but I stopped at $500 and haven’t missed it. However, I do miss Maiden for $125, I always felt those wines over-delivered.

1 Like

Loved the Maiden also but Harlan was just too far out of my budget back when I was a student but now I don’t bother, there is wayyy too much wine I can pick up for less then a grand.

3 Likes

Yikes … $1150/btl this year for the 2020 vintage. A 15% increase in price in a year many producers are not even making wine is a BOLD move.

1 Like

I am on the “Founder’s List” for Harlan and passed on 2020 for the same reasons.

1 Like

$400/ea for a second wine is far too rich for my blood. Easy pass, sadly.

1 Like

Easy pass here as well. Yikes on those prices

1 Like

Easy pass was when it eclipsed $800 and was above market value. $1150 is a joke when secondary market offerings are under $1k.

2 Likes

Maiden for $450 (inc. tax and shipping) is insanity. Let alone the requirement to buy 3.

Not unfair takes regarding price point relative to other wines of great quality and the comparison to secondary market pricing. That said, Harlan wines have never disappointed me, and while I might be able to scalp some at auction or secondary (and occasionally some at wholesale) for a discount, I’m still gladly willing to take an allocation directly.