2019 Myriad

They work with several non-Beckstoffer vineyards…

Is Beckstoffer dry farmed?
Is Beckstoffer organic or biodynamic?
Does Beckstoffer have any old vines or do they tear them out as soon as they don’t produce maximum yield?

It seems to me Beckstoffer is a bit soulless?

I’d be most tempted by Round Pond, as their MBar Ranch is what I want, but with Mike Smith’s vigneron guidance, but what I don’t want is, “…The smooth as silk mid palate and approachability show off the deep soil terroir this wine is grown in. Beautiful seamless layers have this deep garnet beauty at the front of the line for an early drinking window.”

Fair enough on the notes. But his scores are horrendous. When I saw a 99 on the 18 ontogeny and tasted it after I about fell out of my seat in laughter. That’s when I knew he was a joke.

Its all about the notes more than anything. The scores are nice to see and but can seem inflated.

Fair on the notes but the scores are a joke

Scores? I don’t know what they mean and I really don’t care. newhere

Absolutely not the case.

Fair enough. I’ll say this though, high scores are not only reserved for the famous labels and every wine has access to the full range. 2018 Ontogeny? Happy to go to the bat for that wine. Least expensive in the lineup but consistently one of the gems. Thanks for at least tasting the wine before throwing names though.

Joke may have been extreme. but a 99 on that specific wine seems so overboard in my opinion. I have had a lot better wines that are cheaper than that one and not even close to a 99. But at the end of the day it’s all based on opinion. I appreciate the reply back explaining though. Didn’t think you all read the forums.

Really wondering how the 19s will compare to the 18s on these.

1 Like

New here? Haha you’re funny.

1 Like

I’m REALLY trying to wait on most of my 2018 Mike Smith wines, as I think they need time, but have had success with Quivet Napa Valley, and Becklyn Napa Valley early on. Most of the Carter’s need some bottle age, or a long decant or slow ox. With that said, I’ll be curious to know if 2019 will be a forward, earlier drinking vintage.

There’s one every release. Sometimes I think they’re all the same guy.

I recall Wine Advocate saying that in general, 2019 should be more approachable early on while 2018 is more structured and built for aging.

1 Like

Yep, been around long enough to not pay attention to the scores. I do love Myriad but again could care less about the scores. I rather read a tasting note from someone here.

1 Like

Wrong! There is also a dude that seems to be on Mike Smith’s payroll on every Myriad Topic. [pillow-fight.gif]